Close

Default Capri bubble window?

What is a new in the box rear hatch glass worth? It does have the defroster option on it. I have the opertunity to buy one as a spare but don't want to pay too much for it. I have never seen a new one offered before. I called PPG and Iowa Glass and they say they do not offer it anymore. Any ideas what this is worth?

Thanks
    Mike 1986 Mercury Capri original paint, t-top car
    331ci, AFR 185's, Vic Sr. SFI intake, Custom 80mm t6 frame turbo kit, AOD, 9" w/ 3.25 gear and drag radials.
    Fully loaded street car with cold a/c
    9.31 @ 146 1.37 60' Just getting started! 88mm turbo going on in 2010

Blog Entries

It's probably worth an astronomical amount, really. About 12 years ago, Mike looked into what it would cost if the hatch glass was busted out of his 79 (he put an 86 hatch on it) and it was something like 1500 bucks. However, that was the glass company's amount.

I wouldn't expect to put it up for sale and fetch that amount, at least not quickly/easily. But, the fact remains that there weren't all that many of the 83-86 cars produced overall, when the cars get in the junkyards, it seems busting bubble glass is a national pastime, people pull these hatches off and trash them...its going to get harder and harder to replace the hatches and their glass each and every year.

Make an offer, see what they say. For new in box, I'd say a few hundred dollars, at least, would be fair.

As much as you can get it for.

They were originally something like $1500-2500 from Ford. They were NOT cheap pieces of glass.

It's a very rare item. $200 is probably a very good buy. $350 is probably fair and $500 is probably upper end but not a ripoff either.

I think almost ALL bubbles got the defroster...from 85-86 it was standard. I suppose 83-84 it was an option but I'd have to look.

If you don't want it, LMK maybe I'll have the guy ship it out here.

-Mike

Travis T

To give you some perspective too, the last time I saw a Mustang hatchback rear window, it was $454 brand new, so that Capri window is probably much higher.

This is one of those items that is hard to find but not in demand.

If you need one they are hard to find.

If you have one they are hard to sell.

Look on eBay and search completed listings, you can't even get $50 for a complete bubble hatch.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

Thing is, there are like no bubble backs without faded or rippled tinting. Sure used ones aren't worth much...even I have an extra used one....but a new one would go nice with my new windshield.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    Thing is, there are like no bubble backs without faded or rippled tinting. Sure used ones aren't worth much...even I have an extra used one....but a new one would go nice with my new windshield.

-Mike
    Maybe so, but don't tell the seller that. Show him (or her) that you can't even get $50 for a complete hatch on eBay. Then try to get the glass for that much.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

WOW I thought the $150 he was asking was a lot. lol Well not really.

I already told him I would take it. Extra parts are good. I already have one NIB spare hatch glass. I bought it about three years ago from a fellow Capri & McLaren owner. He was cleaning his garage out when they built a new house. He said "Come get this thing out of my way.....for $50." I figured I couldn't go wrong. I knew they were disco'd and if I ever needed one I would be up a creek .....well you know the rest.

I work in the classic car restoration market I know what NOS stuff can go for after time. I agree you have to find someone looking for the specific part and willing to pay for it. I don't mind storing it. I have the room.

I have also seen a few used hatches in the area. But like you said the faded or spotted tint and scratches suck. I tried polishing them and they came out ok. But new glass just looks so much better.
    Mike 1986 Mercury Capri original paint, t-top car
    331ci, AFR 185's, Vic Sr. SFI intake, Custom 80mm t6 frame turbo kit, AOD, 9" w/ 3.25 gear and drag radials.
    Fully loaded street car with cold a/c
    9.31 @ 146 1.37 60' Just getting started! 88mm turbo going on in 2010

my 83 has no rear defroster if that helps mike
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Quote Originally Posted by 83rsturbo
    my 83 has no rear defroster if that helps mike
    Yep...that is what I was thinking...it wasn't standard until 84 or 85.

Kind of a rare hatch to not have defrost on it....not that you couldn't take it off an existing one tho.

-Mike