Close

Default 5.0 Mustang magazine March '06 Issue - The FOX ROD

It's about time somebody picked up on this. The Fox Mustang, especially the 4 eyed 'Stangs" are becoming the "new" Mustang Restomods. Whether it sounds strange or not they are the new classic Mustang..."modern classics" if you want. Yeah the 79-93 Mustangs will never be a 67 Fastback or a 70 Boss 302 which is the way it should be BUT they carry their own mystique - "The 5 point 0" or 5.0. The 5.0 Mustang is I believe (correct me if I'm wrong please) the best selling Mustang EVER according to sales figures. Anybody ever ask you what you drive all you have to say is - "yeah, I still have one of those 5.0s...." and the reply is usually something like "Oh yeah sweet...what year? GT or an LX?"
    They're classics whether anybody wants to agree or not. Hell my 85 LX is over 20 years old!
    Anyways, check out 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine March 2006 issue. On page 16 under 5.0 Bench Racer...it talks about "Fox-Rodding" and the beginning of the Fox Restomod Era. It's a neat article by Steve Turner. It really says a lot and I think this could possibly be a theme that the magazine could add or even take on as a magazine and would definately get me more pumped if they focused even part of the magazine on Fox Mustangs and restomodding. There's also a great article on a super clean black LX hatch with Ferrari wheels and some really unique hot rod mods done to it and the article reads as this is what a restomod Mustang could be. There's also a great article on a super clean 1980 Capri with my favorite RS hood, a saleen rear wing and Cobra Rs. There's even an interesting little home made chin spoiler bolted up to it. It's a musta have issue. Go buy it.

What are everyone's thoughts on the whole Restomod Mustang movement - Hot Rod Fox Bodies? Sounds cool!

John
    John McBride

Midnite Octane - "Fuel Your Imagination!"
    www.midniteoctane.com

I'm torn emotionally about the whole thing. I like the 4eyes to be very stock appearing and I dont want it to drive prices up for the cars and the parts. These cars are so fun to play with because they are so cheap.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Yes, the infamous five-point-oh. Few cars carry that kind of notoriety.

Do you guys notice that when you mention a "Mustang", they right away ask if its "v8 5.0"? Not a GT or a Cobra, but a 5-liter? That's kinda cool.
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"

I think the restomod movement will continue for these cars. Personally I like keeping my cars appearence all ford. I like the SVO sails,skirts, 83 hood, 93 Cobra wing, 2003 cobra seats etc. The body shop that just finished painting my car buys and sells a ton of fox bodies. They have at least 5-6 there all of the time. Never seen a 4 eye though. People into cars know these cars. They are unique!
    Crystal Lake Illinois
    1986 GT 306 S-trim, M2300k, Bullits 450rwhp

I agree the earlier (79-86) fox bodys are in a big resurgance. But Restomod to me means taking a car and making it period correct. Like taking a modle A and re-creating what the could have looked like in a certin year. Them placing parts that were available at that time and not later parts. I would think to retro mod a , lets say a 1986 Mustang, and putting parts that were available in lets say 1989. So maybe a truck intake turned around to work on the foxbody, a ball drive paxton supercharger, BFG tires with the white lettering turned out (remeamber when everyone had them that way? lol) mounted on Centerline Auto Drags, home made cold air intakes and other home made items dur to the lack of aftermarket. Stuff that everyone had then but you don't see today.

I think Restomod work much better with the older cars because people had to be creative when building a car. In the 40's and 50's there was a very small aftermarket for cars. So you wanted to make your car faster you took the stock engine out and replaced it with the hottest motor you could find at the time. No matter what car manufacturer it came from. Same with the trans and rear end. The fox body really never had that issue. Sure maybe every once in a while someone put a sb chevy in a mustang but it was not common.

I like the idea of changing the cars in different ways like the putting of Farrari wheels on the mustang. I would call it modding. Another thing about restomod is they were built using cheap parts found at salvage yards most of the time. Is buying a set of Farrari wheels and modifing them to fit still concidered cheap? I don't think so. But if everyone starts doing the same mod to a car and people copy it 20 years from now I guess that would be restomodding.

I can see people just useing the term restomod as a blanket term for modding a car in the spirt of the old gear heads back in the day using what ever they had. Either way I like modded cars I am not a purest. So I hope we see a lot of new ways to mod our 27 year old body style.
    Mike 1986 Mercury Capri original paint, t-top car
    331ci, AFR 185's, Vic Sr. SFI intake, Custom 80mm t6 frame turbo kit, AOD, 9" w/ 3.25 gear and drag radials.
    Fully loaded street car with cold a/c
    9.31 @ 146 1.37 60' Just getting started! 88mm turbo going on in 2010

Well Restomod (not retromod) is similar to what pro-touring is. Basically restomodding is something that usually is used when talking about Ford customozing. Generally restomod is a little more of a mild built custom Ford classic muscle car. Restomod doesn't only describe using factory parts. I agree it can be where you tak like a 1979 Cobra and put some nice pony wheels on it and a set of GT40 heads, and intake, etc. It also includes putting on wheels like torque thrusts, bigger bake packages, suspension upgrades - I think the sky is the limit. Pro-Touring I think is more extreme but I'm pretty sure that they're the same. If any of you haven't seen these two sites, check 'em out. I frequent these sites and have learned a lot about modern styling and technology that can be applied to classic muscle cars that make them brake, accelerate, and handle up to todays automotive standards.
    I think there's always a need and a place for restoring stuff to stock, just remember some people feel that "it's not yours until it's yours" like I do meaning some people still like the classic cars and their looks but like to improve upon them and make them reflect their own style and personality. Customizers shouldn't be looked down upon like they are ruining a nice classic or original. It's just a car in the end, have fun with it....and drive it!

www.pro-touring.com
    www.lateral-g.net

John
    John McBride

www.midniteoctane.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGMachine
    Well Restomod (not retromod) is similar to what pro-touring is.
    Sorry, I fixed it. I typel very poorly and changed courses a bit. lol

But around here a restomod and retromod are the same. "Resto"mod meaning a restored rod or car from earlier years and "retro"rod meaning restoringor modifying a car with a retro time period theme. And we use the term "G-machine" for a car with new style, parts, technology, power and handling. I would agree the mustang you are talking about in the mag is a G-machine (and a nice one at that). I don't know if around where I live the term restomod would be used to discribe it. I guess that is the point the magazine was trying to get at. That the newer cars and the term restomod itself are going in a new direction. I guess you can say a new generation of restomod.
    Mike 1986 Mercury Capri original paint, t-top car
    331ci, AFR 185's, Vic Sr. SFI intake, Custom 80mm t6 frame turbo kit, AOD, 9" w/ 3.25 gear and drag radials.
    Fully loaded street car with cold a/c
    9.31 @ 146 1.37 60' Just getting started! 88mm turbo going on in 2010

FEP Super Member

Cool link's.

Restomod can be many thing's to many different people.

For me It's stock appearing interior and exterior with updated or improved drivetrain/suspension/brake's.

I also like using as many ford part's as possible and era correct performance part's. Like on my Saleen I found one of the original Performer 5.0 intake's and early GT40 head's. I will also be using factory part's to update my front brake's. Ford 87-93 V8 spindle's, 11 inch rotor's, SVO caliper's etc. Then for the rear I will be using the T-bird set up. All so that I can keep the stock wheel's on the car and retain thh stock look.

On the SVO pretty much everything is ford part's from different model's to improve the performance. ECU, squirter's etc from a T-bird, going to port the stock head, fms roller cam etc.

I would also like to use the cobra IRS in the back as long as I can use either my stock polished SVO wheel's or my 5 hole Saleen wheel's.

FoxRod. I like the idea and it pretty much play's into how I want to build my current project's.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I plan on keeping my Anny stock looking with the exception of Pony wheels. Same with the interior. I just want to make it handle and perform the way the GT350 stripes say it should. That would be my version of a "Fox Rod".

Some will hate it but they will never be able to catch up and tell me..
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

That's cool that the article is coming out. That'll bring more interest to our early cars. Resto modding is a great way to revive interest in the early cars because their drivetrains were weak. Taking a 157 hp '82 GT and changing the block to produce 300 or more horsepower to the wheels will get you moving. Changing the lousy 4-speed for a 5-speed will get you better gas mileage and make highway cruising a lot better and changing the weak 7.5" rearend for a more durable 8.8 will get you more reliablility. You can't lose on all fronts. That said, I think its also imperative to keep the interior and exterior as stock looking as possible.

I can totally envision a day when I attend a show and see a lot of foureyes that have either been restored or restomodded. I can't wait!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

i was just musing about that artical & a couple others i've seen this month. There is more than one artical or editor's comment suggesting a current surge of interest in resto-modding\restification of fox-bodies.... i also found the refference "fox-rod" being used a couple times..... I think Peterson Publishing might be wise in starting a new rag called Fox-Rod.
    It would be tailored to any fox-chassis based production vehicle, involve restoration articles, upgrading inherent fox related weakness like brakes or charging systems, extensive modification(hopefully only tasteful or inovative extensive mods), & pure stock restoration information, production data, etc.......

I like this idea very much mind you...
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

The Ferrari Wheels

I want my 86 stock apearing.....IE it looks stock, but with Engine and Suspension enhancements.I have a vert. It's an auto and SLOW and Heavy compared to a 5spd notch. It's a cruiser not a racer.I don't want a supercharger, nitrous, or a stroker.I want the hood to be popped and it looks like a stock 86-93 FI motor.Although I'd love around 300 horses under the hood.

My car is not rare although under 10,000 GT Verts were made. I wonder how many are still out there??? Pextor and I have twin cars, except his is a 5spd and mine is an auto. The good thing about these cars is parts interchangeability. If thats even a word!!

You can have an 84 with 99 seats in it, or an 86 with 95 brakes. Resto modding is almost a necesity. Look at the price of an 85-86 front bumper vs a 87+ or even the 86LX model. Parts are not as plentiful on 79-86 as they are on 87-93. Capri's and SVO's are in WORSE shap than us mustang owners.

When I bought this car in 2004 there were only 2 86 GT verts listed in newspapers, Ebay and Autotrader in this state.
    1986 GT Vert 5.0 EFI ,AOD,3.27's,K&N CAI Kit,2 1/2 H-pipe,No Cats,Flowmaster 40 series.

Not to state the obvious......but......aren't we mostly ALL 'Fox-Rodders' ?
    Basically everyone I know has modified their Stang/Capri to make it what they want it to be, whether thats for straight line performance, handling, braking, or a combination of the three. There ARE the few (myself included) that chose to retain a car in 100% stock form, but in comparison, nearly all Fox cars you see at shows, drag strips and even daily drivers have been "rodded" in some way. I just think its another term that will soon be blown way out of proportion and EXTREMELY overused, just like the idiots who use the word "naws" for Nitrous Oxide Systems (its a brand name for a company that deals in Nitrous, NOT an item!!). Think about it.....most 5.0's (both Stang and Capri) were modified in some way or another by the first person who signed their name on the dotted line and took the car away from the dealership. Granted, some were sublte mods (K&N filters, timing, etc) and some were extreme (blowers, cages, wild paint, etc) but, we were Fox-Rod owners ALONG time ago, we just never got any credit for it until some guy at a magazine labeled us that!! Mind you, I'm not venting or whining, I just think its funny that it took a magazine to decide we needed a title!!! LOL I agree that the earlier 4-eyes are serioulsy overdue in terms of the respect and recognition they deserve in comparison to the aero cars, and I'm glad to see the few that are starting to get noticed by the magazine companies. But how ofter do you take your car to a show and have people look it over and tell you stories about the one they or a friend used to have? I think that makes our cars that much more special in some respect, don't you? Anyway..whatever label they want to put us under, I just think WE are the reason the 5.0 series of cars are what they are today, and thats just (cool)!!!! Later, RAY
    86 Capri 5.0/5spd: Too many mods to list
    93 5.0/5sp LX: Silver, 3,980 miles: now stored
    84 Thunderbird TurboCoupe: she's back!!
    84 Capri RS- T-top car built for my wife
    83 Thunderbird Heritage 5.0
    79 F100, new parts hauler and toy vehicle
    78 Bronco Custom: 2-wheel conversion project
    73 Mach1 -351C-5spd
    64 Galaxie 500 390 Z-code
    55 Ford Customline Sedan-long term project

Better be careful how you use the word Restomod. Mustang Plus has copy righted the word and applies it to their modified vintage Mustangs which definetly are not modified period correct.

I always thought restomod meant more restoring the car to better than new and then modifying the original plan. Being a vintage Mustang refugee, I lean towards the Borg philosophy and assimulate new technologies into the old war horse.

Now I'm doing the Borg thing to a '78 Friggin' Futura and eventually the '84 Notch.

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Just another journalist trying to coin a new trend phrase. Makes me roll my eyes.

Fox bodied mustangs have pretty been modded since their inception and has progressed over the years because of he long production run and changes through the similar SN-95's. Lotsa parts able to be used on a lot of different cars is all it is. Its not really anything new. Back in the day Everybody wanted Shelby parts on their mustang, and every Camaro owner wanted to have an SS and installed parts as such.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Just another journalist trying to coin a new trend phrase.
    Sheesh, no kidding - "Fox rod" - sounds stupid IMHO. I'm sure someone can come up with a better descriptive term than that, assuming one's even needed.

To me, resto-mod means a car that has elements of both done to it - restoration and modification. Pretty broad category.

Better be careful how you use the word Restomod. Mustang Plus has copy righted the word...
    "Mustang Plus", whoever they are, can get stuffed.
    Lee
    '79 Mustang Ghia 5.0 notch

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

To be truthful; I would like nothing better than a true dedicated fox-body rag.... With the amount of fox enthusiast's out there; why not? Fox-enthusiast magazine? Fox-love?
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Fox-love LOL! That's good.

As far as the stock thing interior exterior thing I know some guys like that. I have to admit when I was at the year one event last spring and i saw that bone stock silver 85 Notch pull up I went nuts. Now my 1985 notch is a really super clean original example and I bought it with 50,000 original miles in mint shape. I've put in a crate motor, tremek TKO, built to the hilt 8.8 rear, 5 lug swap and bullits, 4" cowl hood, and on and on and sometimes I wonder if I shoulda just restored it but hey you only live once so have fun with it - even if they only made 2284 1985 Coupes with a V8 ever!!! And many were cop cars so hw many street versions do you think there are?
    I still don't look back and like to restomod mine! getting sideways in third gear makes me forget all about stock!

John
    John McBride

www.midniteoctane.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra
    Taking a 157 hp '82 GT and changing the block to produce 300 or more horsepower to the wheels will get you moving. Changing the lousy 4-speed for a 5-speed will get you better gas mileage and make highway cruising a lot better and changing the weak 7.5" rearend for a more durable 8.8 will get you more reliablility. That said, I think its also imperative to keep the interior and exterior as stock looking as possible.
    Are you spying on me?!

You forgot to update the wheels!
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"

"Mustang Plus... Can get stuffed"

Ha- Ha, that's exactly what all the vintage Mustangers say too regarding the copy right thing!

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura