Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by twister
    There has to be a group of car nuts that keep their cars stock to help show how things should be.
    My 79 California emissions Turbo Cobra is such a car. I may be the only one who knows you need to read not only the vaccum diagram on the hood, but a diagram out of a non-California emissions Cobra as well because the one on my hood has a discrepancy that if followed, renders the timing retard inoperable. The reason I know that almost put me in therapy.
    83 Mercury Capri RS, 91 Mustang Gt 'vert, 04 CO Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T
    Keep the 2.8, I had a parts car with one of those. If it is a manual, or if you convert it to one, you'd be surprised at what you can get out of that engine. I have a friend who has a 74 Capri (German Ford), and it has that engine as well. With some carefully planned mods, his car has been able to outrun many a 5.0 Mustang.
    I am planning on keeping the 2.8, though the car has lost enough of its original condition that I could never bring it back 100%... The debate over converting to a manual transmission continues in my head, however. I will probably keep the drivetrain relatively stock, though I may ditch (set aside) some of the broken hardware and pretty up the engine compartment.

I really wanted to keep the interior/exterior as stock as possible, right down to the leather seats and chrome trim, but unless I can find a missing hubcap, the steelies will get replaced with ten holes - the only visible mod not truly necessary to keep the car running. The car should reflect the comfort and class of a Ghia from that era yet provide that same familiarity that has always drawn me to Mustangs. It was a nice car and should be so again.

And living with my current 5.0 with a shift kit has gotten old and my wife refuses to drive with me in that car anymore...

I've had the notion of doing a tt460 or soemthing wild but it'd have to be in an lincoln mark vii or t-bird/cougar. Besides, if I really want to go fast for cheap, I have my motorcycle which goes sick speeds in nothing flat - stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T
    Keep the 2.8, I had a parts car with one of those. If it is a manual, or if you convert it to one, you'd be surprised at what you can get out of that engine. I have a friend who has a 74 Capri (German Ford), and it has that engine as well. With some carefully planned mods, his car has been able to outrun many a 5.0 Mustang.
    I am planning on keeping the 2.8, though the car has lost enough of its original condition that I could never bring it back 100%... The debate over converting to a manual transmission continues in my head, however. I will probably keep the drivetrain relatively stock, though I may ditch (set aside) some of the broken hardware and pretty up the engine compartment.

I really wanted to keep the interior/exterior as stock as possible, right down to the leather seats and chrome trim, but unless I can find a missing hubcap, the steelies will get replaced with ten holes - the only visible mod not truly necessary to keep the car running. The car should reflect the comfort and class of a Ghia from that era yet provide that same familiarity that has always drawn me to Mustangs. It was a nice car and should be so again.

And living with my current 5.0 with a shift kit has gotten old and my wife refuses to drive with me in that car anymore...

I've had the notion of doing a tt460 or soemthing wild but it'd have to be in an lincoln mark vii or t-bird/cougar. Besides, if I really want to go fast for cheap, I have my motorcycle which goes sick speeds in nothing flat - stock.

Travis T

79 Road Runner, check your pm's.

Travis T

79 Road Runner, check your pm's.

Travis T

I haven't researched it yet, but I think it would be possible to run a T5 transmission behind your 2.8. Lots of V6 74-79 Mustangs came with the RAD four speed, and a T5 will bolt up to the bellhousing. It probably wouldn't be hard to find a Mustang II that was so equipped. I don't know what if anything you'd have to do about the pilot bearing, I'm not sure if a V8 or four cylinder transmission would work with the stock pilot bearing. I know that on my 2.3 car, I pulled the four speed and a T5 fit right up to the existing flywheel/clutch/bellhousing setup with no modifications.

Travis T

I haven't researched it yet, but I think it would be possible to run a T5 transmission behind your 2.8. Lots of V6 74-79 Mustangs came with the RAD four speed, and a T5 will bolt up to the bellhousing. It probably wouldn't be hard to find a Mustang II that was so equipped. I don't know what if anything you'd have to do about the pilot bearing, I'm not sure if a V8 or four cylinder transmission would work with the stock pilot bearing. I know that on my 2.3 car, I pulled the four speed and a T5 fit right up to the existing flywheel/clutch/bellhousing setup with no modifications.

PM's checked.

My favorite previous cars all had four speed manuals, and I wouldn't mind going that direction again, either. Regardless, if I went to a manual transmission, I'd have to change the flywheel... and while I'm down there I can check out a leak from that area.

If I did an engine rebuild (which is starting to make sense considering the body work, etc.), it would be simple enough to take care of all that while the engine/tranny is out. I'll think about it...

PM's checked.

My favorite previous cars all had four speed manuals, and I wouldn't mind going that direction again, either. Regardless, if I went to a manual transmission, I'd have to change the flywheel... and while I'm down there I can check out a leak from that area.

If I did an engine rebuild (which is starting to make sense considering the body work, etc.), it would be simple enough to take care of all that while the engine/tranny is out. I'll think about it...

Default To Restore or Resto-mod guide

I think it is awesome the number of you that respect a stock vehicle. Please dont misunderstand me, I think customs are cool ---- and a car should reflect its owners personality ---- but there is just something about a "time capsule vehicle" that is just the best ---- and reading the threads from those of you who seem to feel this way as well is just great!

When I see a vehicle from the 60s -- 70s -- 80s that is mint and original -- my first thought is, "It needs to stay just like that forever." I believe they should be driven and enjoyed -- but taken care of like the piece of artwork that they are.

I received -- back in 1980 -- a 1980 Mustang for a graduation present. I kept it for four years and sold it for more than my mom paid for it. Yes, I should have never sold it -- and I am currently in the midst of a restoration project with a 1980 Mustang that I purchased about a year ago. You will likely begin to see postings from me asking a lot of questions about the project. There are pictures of both vehicles on this site ---- I believe on page 12.

Remember ---- dont crush them ---- save them ---- restore them ---- protect them. (Yeah, I get really into cars.)[/color]
    13 Dodge Dart
    09 Shadow Sabre
    08 Caliber
    05 Aztek
    02 Avalanche
    02 Thunderbird
    01 Cadillac ETC
    98 Explorer
    96 Suzuki X-90
    89 Fleetwood
    89 Continental
    88 Town Car
    86 Silverado
    84 Fiero
    83 Town Car
    82 LN7
    82 EXP
    80 Mustang
    65 Continental
    62 Galaxie 500
    54 Packard

Stock never goes out of style.

Likewise, I enjoy and appreciate them all, but I am partial to stock condition cars. A related point is that it is often harder to restore a four eye to stock-- many parts no longer exist in respectable condition (anyone seen an automatic shifter bezel in which the rubber insert has NOT turned to goo???). Good luck on your 'stock' restoration work.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

FEP Super Member

Here is something that I really want to do that kinda reflect's some idea's of this thread.

I already have a 2.3t SVO and a single turbo 5.0 Saleen mustang and I want something else that's a little different, fairly quick (sporty) that's make's for a good daily driver.

Bakc in H/S I had my 72 chevelle (lot's of mod's, deep gear's, big stall etc) and I was looking for a good daily driver. I ran accross a yellow RS capri with the straight six and a 4 spd for sale. The car's where still failry new and to much money for my H/S budget. I forget what year it was but it had the square front end and a flat hatch.

I really want another car similar to that one and I already have the mod's figured out.

Keep the straight six and 4spd or switch over to a T-5.
    hot rod the sixer with simple mod's, cam, head, intake, carb exhaust.
    Simple suspension mod's, frame tie's, spring's, rebuild with good bushing's etc.
    5 lug swap with SVO part's and use the tri bar wheel's with hte modded cobra cap to mimic TRX's.
    Nice paint with restored exterior and interior.

Put key in igniton.........drive.

What do you guy's think? Pretty crazy or what.

Anyone know what year the car would be? Yellow non bubble Capri RS with the straight six and a 4spd.

I figured it had to be 80 or 81.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Kyle, sounds like a cool idea, but dont those inline 6's get about the same or worse mileage than the 302? My brother had an inline 6 mustang and the mileage was really bad, like 8-10 mpg. It may have not been in the best of tune though. For some reason I have a hankering for a 80-81 coupe, I should just worry about the junk I have.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

FEP Member

Wow, theres a lot of interesting thoughts/ideas here. Some good points have certainly been made. I have to say this though. I often go to the local Mustang events, NMRA, FFW, and such. When I'm walking through the car show areas, I see modified car after car and they really don't do so much for me anymore. When i happen to stumble accross that completely original non-v8, unmodified, plain jane mustang with what everyone else calls and ugly interior and/or paint color, I tend to stand and stare in awe of such an unusual and nice car. I'd rather see a true 'survivor' car in brown on brown with a 14" whitewalls and hubcaps with 5k original miles than another cookie cutter aero gt/lx with a fiberglass hood, fake cobra R wheels and a polished cold air intake hooked to a cruddy 150k mile motor.

I guess I'm an odd one, since I REALLY like the odd undesireable color interior cars especially. I really have a thing for a 79-82 in the darker blue interior with woodgrain dash trim, vinyl/leather and a 3spoke 'sport' steering wheel. I love the unloved. I actually prefer cars that do NOT have black interiors that everyone else drools on.

To me a 4 or 6 cyl car is just as much fun an an 8.It may not be fast but you can still take it out and carve some back roads with it at an enjoyable pace.

Modifying...thats a tough one, it REALLY depends on the car every time. There really is no good methodology you can follow on what style/year/etc cars should and should not be modified. Desirable doesn't always mean rare and rare isn't always desirable.

One more thing, does anyone else here really have a thing for the early hatchback cars that didn't have any spoiler on the back from the factory?

enough rambling for now...

White86

Quote Originally Posted by roush235
    Likewise, I enjoy and appreciate them all, but I am partial to stock condition cars. A related point is that it is often harder to restore a four eye to stock-- many parts no longer exist in respectable condition (anyone seen an automatic shifter bezel in which the rubber insert has NOT turned to goo???). Good luck on your 'stock' restoration work.
    It's funny, I fixed this years ago and completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. Mine had long since turned to goo, and gone away. I made a new one out of a piece of bicycle inner tube, super glued into place. It's been in there for at least 4-5 years now and still looks great. Easy fix.

Yes I know it's dirty, but I just wated to show a pic of the rubber piece.

Roadburner, I'd be right there with you. I find myself drawn to anything which is stock, odd-colored, non-V8, etc. I like to talk to the owner and find out how and why the car still exists. Most have a story behind them which is more interesting than how someone bought a bunch of parts from vendors to do their modifications.

I'm thinking about cars I liked at the Ford 100th anniversary event in Dearborn in 2003. Examples: green 71 Maverick, bronze 74 Capri, lime gold stripper 68 Falcon, baby blue 72 Torino, various 60's-70's pickups. All in stock condition and great examples of survivors or "light" restorations to stock.

I do like modified cars (I have done several mods to my daily driver Lincoln LS) but in today's world of car shows, the stock cars are more rare, and more interesting to me.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

White 86, thanks for the info. I had given up finding an un-gooed bezel and was wondering about a good poorboy fix. Sounds like an upcoming Saturday project.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    Here is something that I really want to do that kinda reflect's some idea's of this thread.

I already have a 2.3t SVO and a single turbo 5.0 Saleen mustang and I want something else that's a little different, fairly quick (sporty) that's make's for a good daily driver.

Bakc in H/S I had my 72 chevelle (lot's of mod's, deep gear's, big stall etc) and I was looking for a good daily driver. I ran accross a yellow RS capri with the straight six and a 4 spd for sale. The car's where still failry new and to much money for my H/S budget. I forget what year it was but it had the square front end and a flat hatch.

I really want another car similar to that one and I already have the mod's figured out.

Keep the straight six and 4spd or switch over to a T-5.
    hot rod the sixer with simple mod's, cam, head, intake, carb exhaust.
    Simple suspension mod's, frame tie's, spring's, rebuild with good bushing's etc.
    5 lug swap with SVO part's and use the tri bar wheel's with hte modded cobra cap to mimic TRX's.
    Nice paint with restored exterior and interior.

Put key in igniton.........drive.

What do you guy's think? Pretty crazy or what.

Anyone know what year the car would be? Yellow non bubble Capri RS with the straight six and a 4spd.

kyle
    My first Mustang was a 5.0. Sure it was fun but it didn't handle quite the same as that '85 four banger I got later... There's something to be said for the smaller, lighter engines.

And I'm right there with roush235... the v8 cars are getting boring. Whether you mod, "clean up" or simply restore, I think the i6/4 speed is a great combo. Sure you could have the OD of a 5 speed, but 4's are just plain stupid fun!

Having something unique in the crowd of 5.0's gets a lot more respect when you do it with class. I say go for it!

FEP Super Member

Thanks for the kind word's.

I have never seen one again around here that looked like the one that I almost bought. So finding one may be the hard part.

The wife and I are working on purchasing a bigger house with a bigger garage within the next year or two. As soon as I have the room for it I'm going to start looking for one.

If I can find a nice clean driver that doesn't need much work I will probably go ahead and buy it before the new house. But most of the older fox car's aroud here are either ratted out pos's or already scrapped and off to mustang heaven.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Thanks to White86 for this tip. This is the bicycle-tube-for-rubber-insert PRNDL repair. Turned out good. Maybe this idea ought to be "parked" in a specific place in the Restoration thread where it can be more easily referenced in the future?

Bob in Lebanon, TN

I agree with most, the unmolested should remain that way. The previous owner of my 83Gt Turbo had put an aftermarket cruise control unit in my car which was entirely bolt on, thank goodness, except for the control unit which was epoxied to the turn signal lever. Hopefully the levers are easy enough to find.

I do have to say I like the SN95 brake upgrade and add 13" cobra calipers/rotors and I like it even better. I did this to my 86GT because it is a daily driver and people in Norfolk can't drive, so the added stopping distance is needed. I have considered doing this to the 83 Turbo, but not until I need brakes again (or tires). Don't worry if I do the original parts will go into a crate and be saved so it can be put back to stock by the next owner should I ever part with it.
    83 GT Turbo

I ran accross a yellow RS capri with the straight six and a 4 spd for sale. The car's where still failry new and to much money for my H/S budget. I forget what year it was but it had the square front end and a flat hatch.

I really want another car similar to that one...

kyle
    Your wife is really going to like me for this one...

Guess what I saw parked right next to our van when we came out of the Colby, KS Wal Mart store last Wednesday after we took my daughter to her dance class?

My first reaction was to say "no way" out loud. Then I was embarrased because a girl was in the passenger seat. It was a yellow Capri RS with orange stripes and black interior. It had the turbine hubcaps on the 14 inch steel wheels and I think even the factory rear louvers on the hatch. It looked to be in original and very good condition. I'm not sure about the engine or the transmission. It had a current Thomas County Kansas license plate on it. I didn't go so far as to write down the plate number, although I think you could still track it down by contacting the Thomas County Clerk or Treasurers office.

In my opinion...this particular Capri RS was an excellent "restoration" candidate.

A restoration with a consolation to current consumables and drivability items like belts, hoses, clamps, battery, muffler, shocks and struts, tires, and wheels is what I'm planning for my '85 GS. It will, however, stay CFI with single exhaust and tiny brakes with 7.5" rear, stock interior (including radio) with an eventual repaint back to it's factory tan with red pinstripe and TRX wheels and tires if I can ever find a decent set of wheels and the TRX tire prices ever become reasonable again.
    NASA Rocky Mountain
    HPDE Group Leader and CMC Racer

This thread is exactly what I've been looking for. I need some opinions on how to go about rebuilding/restomodding my '84 lx coupe. The car came with T-tops, CFI, AOD, 5.0, 7.5 w/quads. I drove it out of the showroom when it was new and it has been owned by myself or my brother ever since. Currently has about 240,000 miles on it with faded paint, tired engine that smokes some, and completely shot AOD in need of rebuilding.

My delimma is this...I really want to keep this car for a long time in the future but it is an extra car and the budget for it is limited. A little more "get up and go" is also a top priortiy. This was my daily driver work car for years and I would like it to be a part time car now but a little more fun to drive. To that end, with the failed tranny and worn out engine in mind, I bought a Mark VIII (for very cheap) with intentions of putting the DOHC 4.6/4R70W in place of the 5.0/AOD. I also have a complete 5-lug SN-95 brake system to upgrade the brakes with including a disk brake 8.8 w/3.73's. I have some 5-lug wheels off an '01 v6 stang that look good with the body style IMO to ride on for a while. I also have a complete dual exhaust system awaiting installation in place of the rusted out single on it now.

Having just read the article on 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords about the rarity of T-top 5.0 coupes I'm having second thoughts about changing to the modular drivetrain. I've never even seen another T-top 5.0 coupe in person in all of the years that I've owned this car although there are some out there. I don't want to destroy any more originality than necessary although this is a high-mileage car needing some restoration. The production #'s on one website that I've found say that there were 80 silver 5.0 coupes produced in 1984 w/ 5.0. No numbers available for T-tops or automatic.

This will never be a show car but a driver that may possibly get displayed as it gets some restoration. It is more important to me to have a fun driver than remain "restoration stock" so either direction the rebuild goes it will be with some performance related upgrades. I thought that the modular combo would be fun, cool, and different. Also, the entire car only cost me $600 which is much cheaper than I can rebuild/upgrade the AOD for and I've got everything needed except for the k-member. It's like getting the engine and 130+ HP for free!

FWIW...I've been a Mustang guy for 25 years and greatly respect originality. Been working a lot on the G/F's '66 GT lately and it is very nearly "original". Of course, it has a little "get up and go". We plan on keeping it just that way but rebuilding/replacing parts as they are worn out.

Please post your honest opinions without too much flaming. If you don't want to post on here then sent me a PM or email. I didn't really want to start a new thread but if that is needed I'll delete and restart.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by MHISSTC
    I ran accross a yellow RS capri with the straight six and a 4 spd for sale. The car's where still failry new and to much money for my H/S budget. I forget what year it was but it had the square front end and a flat hatch.

I really want another car similar to that one...

kyle
    Your wife is really going to like me for this one...

Guess what I saw parked right next to our van when we came out of the Colby, KS Wal Mart store last Wednesday after we took my daughter to her dance class?

My first reaction was to say "no way" out loud. Then I was embarrased because a girl was in the passenger seat. It was a yellow Capri RS with orange stripes and black interior. It had the turbine hubcaps on the 14 inch steel wheels and I think even the factory rear louvers on the hatch. It looked to be in original and very good condition. I'm not sure about the engine or the transmission. It had a current Thomas County Kansas license plate on it. I didn't go so far as to write down the plate number, although I think you could still track it down by contacting the Thomas County Clerk or Treasurers office.

In my opinion...this particular Capri RS was an excellent "restoration" candidate.

A restoration with a consolation to current consumables and drivability items like belts, hoses, clamps, battery, muffler, shocks and struts, tires, and wheels is what I'm planning for my '85 GS. It will, however, stay CFI with single exhaust and tiny brakes with 7.5" rear, stock interior (including radio) with an eventual repaint back to it's factory tan with red pinstripe and TRX wheels and tires if I can ever find a decent set of wheels and the TRX tire prices ever become reasonable again.
    Sounds just like the one I almost bought 13 years ago. I dont remember what wheels where on it but I doubt they where TRX since most people ditched them for the typical 15 inch wheel.

I would love to have one as a daily driver.

BTW the Cougar should run this weekend/tonight. It's even going to have a intercooler bolted onto it. But I wont be functional untill I can find a 87/88 Turbo coupe hood in red.

Then a transco shift kit (20 bucks) and a bigger trans cooler (30 bucks). I'm going to have to put a cat on it (its missing) and being the typical hot rodder I cant just slap a stocker on it so I'm going to do a exhaust frm the turbo back. I just need to find a muf that isnt to loud in 3inch.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Quote Originally Posted by slow84lx
    This thread is exactly what I've been looking for. I need some opinions on how to go about rebuilding/restomodding my '84 lx coupe. The car came with T-tops, CFI, AOD, 5.0, 7.5 w/quads. I drove it out of the showroom when it was new and it has been owned by myself or my brother ever since. Currently has about 240,000 miles on it with faded paint, tired engine that smokes some, and completely shot AOD in need of rebuilding.

My delimma is this...I really want to keep this car for a long time in the future but it is an extra car and the budget for it is limited. A little more "get up and go" is also a top priortiy. This was my daily driver work car for years and I would like it to be a part time car now but a little more fun to drive. To that end, with the failed tranny and worn out engine in mind, I bought a Mark VIII (for very cheap) with intentions of putting the DOHC 4.6/4R70W in place of the 5.0/AOD. I also have a complete 5-lug SN-95 brake system to upgrade the brakes with including a disk brake 8.8 w/3.73's. I have some 5-lug wheels off an '01 v6 stang that look good with the body style IMO to ride on for a while. I also have a complete dual exhaust system awaiting installation in place of the rusted out single on it now.

Having just read the article on 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords about the rarity of T-top 5.0 coupes I'm having second thoughts about changing to the modular drivetrain. I've never even seen another T-top 5.0 coupe in person in all of the years that I've owned this car although there are some out there. I don't want to destroy any more originality than necessary although this is a high-mileage car needing some restoration. The production #'s on one website that I've found say that there were 80 silver 5.0 coupes produced in 1984 w/ 5.0. No numbers available for T-tops or automatic.

This will never be a show car but a driver that may possibly get displayed as it gets some restoration. It is more important to me to have a fun driver than remain "restoration stock" so either direction the rebuild goes it will be with some performance related upgrades. I thought that the modular combo would be fun, cool, and different. Also, the entire car only cost me $600 which is much cheaper than I can rebuild/upgrade the AOD for and I've got everything needed except for the k-member. It's like getting the engine and 130+ HP for free!

FWIW...I've been a Mustang guy for 25 years and greatly respect originality. Been working a lot on the G/F's '66 GT lately and it is very nearly "original". Of course, it has a little "get up and go". We plan on keeping it just that way but rebuilding/replacing parts as they are worn out.

Please post your honest opinions without too much flaming. If you don't want to post on here then sent me a PM or email. I didn't really want to start a new thread but if that is needed I'll delete and restart.
    Sounds like you have every intention of keeping it, so do with it what makes you feel good. Personally I would restore it to stock, and find another car for the cammer, only because it is uncommon to see these in all original condition. I have a somewhat rare 83 GT Turbo and have tosses the idea of a 5 lug swap, 17 inch wheels, and cobra brakes, but the more I look at it the more I want to keep it how Ford intended it to be.

I have tossed the idea around of a DOHC swap into one of my other 4 eye cars, so much in fact that I have collected an entire 03 Cobra drivetrain (engine w/blower, trans, IRS and wiring harness), but can't bring myself to starting the swap. It takes a ton of work to get that combo working with our gauges/wiring. My advice is to look around on other sites (www.modularfords.com) where that swap is common place and decide for yourself if you want to do it. My plans have changed over time and I am now more thinking of a 331/347 with a pair of 66mm turbos. I will find a use for my collected parts, just don't think it will be a 4 eye that gets it.
    83 GT Turbo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast