Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thanks for your opinion 93-331. That's exactly what I'm looking for...honest opinions.

There are a couple of stang sites that I know of that have good info on the modular swap...modularford being one. Modularfox is another and of course the corral net. I've done some research and have almost everything needed...just haven't started due to time and the questions listed above.

Really leaning toward doing the mod thing still....just a little leary of making such big changes. The 4,000 lb Lincoln has plenty of go power with this engine....I think it would make the much lighter stang with gears go much quicker. Not to mention the smooth idle and great gas mileage....lincoln currently gets 18-20 around town with a heavy foot pushing it. Stang barely can do that on the highway nowadays.

Change is always inevitable especially when everything on the car needs rebuilding but still a little leary of some of the changing. Dependability is top priority and a look as nearly stock as possible also.

Anyone else?

GREAT WEBSITE BTW! Recently found it from a post in another stang forum and have to say I like the format and content on this one more than any other....Great Information available here and I like seeing the sharing/helping attitudes among fellow Mustang lovers from most of the posts.

My first reaction is -- either way, you will end up saving a four eye, and we need to save as many of them as possible.

My second reaction is -- I'm a stock kind of guy, though I understand and appreciate modified cars. Your car is interesting and rare, especially since it is essentially a one-owner car, and the coupes seem to be getting more attention nowadays. I classify the installation of a mod motor as a radical change, though I will admit I'm impressed with the ones I have seen done (they must take a ton of work). Maybe something less radical could be done to accomplish your goals-- which would also be less on the pocketbook.

My third reaction is -- it's your car, you can do what you want with it.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

I was planning on leaving my capri stock untill the little voice inside my head took over. Basically I modded it the way I wanted it while keeping the little voice "IN CHECK" Everything I replaced was bolt on and stock parts mothballed.It took me four months to find 4 lug wheels that I liked.I could'nt bring myself to do a 5 lug swap due to more parts bieng stored.Bottom line when it comes to cars-------You own it , Do it the way you want it.If everyone conformed to one standard the cars wouldn't be as much of a part of Americans lives like they are.

We enjoy them an personalize them to be different.My taste might not be what you would choose to do and your taste might not be what I would do. I can look @ a car and not agree what was done to it but respect the time and attention to detail someone has put into it.Although I kinda cringe when I see "CLONES" Don't know why I just do.Maybe because the orig. identity has been erased?

my .02
    Dave
    '65 GTO #'s matching 400 needs resto
    '67 Firebird Built 400 , 4sp
    '76 Trans-Am L-75 455 H/O 4sp 54k
    '84 Vette P.O.S cross-fire ( now a 383 stroker w/750 dbl pumper)
    '85 Z28 305 TPI auto 92k
    '85 SVO Under Resto I've been in a rut w/this. will finish summer 08
    '85 Capri One of my favorites ;-)
    '86 300ZX turbo 3.3 liter swap w/ic
    '87 Monte Carlo SS All stock for now..Plans- 455SD,ford 9"rear,etc.etc.

Thanks for your input guys. It is greatly appreciated and will be taken into consideration.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by roush235
    My first reaction is -- either way, you will end up saving a four eye, and we need to save as many of them as possible.

My second reaction is -- I'm a stock kind of guy, though I understand and appreciate modified cars. Your car is interesting and rare, especially since it is essentially a one-owner car, and the coupes seem to be getting more attention nowadays. I classify the installation of a mod motor as a radical change, though I will admit I'm impressed with the ones I have seen done (they must take a ton of work). Maybe something less radical could be done to accomplish your goals-- which would also be less on the pocketbook.

My third reaction is -- it's your car, you can do what you want with it.
    I've not weighed in for a while now... Accidents happen.

But my initial reaction almost echoed roush235. You're saving a four-eye, but you're also considering changing the engine to a more efficient, more powerful and perhaps even *smoother* ride. Since you'd like this car for more of a daily drive, this could be a very nice mix. Even though the swap is difficult, the permanent mods are limited (correct me if I'm wrong) and if you absolutely had to restore the car later, you could (if you kept the original equipment, etc.) Since your budget is limited and you have many parts for it already - I'd do it if you felt your mechanical skills were up to the task.

The fact that the car has 240k miles on it speaks a lot to me. This car is meant to be driven, regardless of the drivetrain. Since it's not a chop job (I hope) then why not?

I'd compare the cost to finish the job vs. rebuilding what you have and start wieghing the pros and cons from there. Heck, you might come out farther ahead with a more enjoyable ride to work when you're done!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234