Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Super Member

I suppose that I'm trying to say "can't be fixed" is simply not true.

While "not willing to fix" is probably a true statement.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

well i believe not worth fixing is the opinion that comes to mind

and not for 2500 for the scrap that is in that pic, plus imagine the price of the replacement parts, and the money for labor, i used to cut and hack cars for a living (boss went to prison) but i am not sure it is close to worth it if you have to pay for the labor.........
    Having no ASCII art is NOT cool

well i believe not worth fixing is the opinion that comes to mind

and not for 2500 for the scrap that is in that pic, plus imagine the price of the replacement parts, and the money for labor, i used to cut and hack cars for a living (boss went to prison) but i am not sure it is close to worth it if you have to pay for the labor.........
    Having no ASCII art is NOT cool

Stick a fork in it, It's done.

That car is junk.

All it is good for is parts.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

Stick a fork in it, It's done.

That car is junk.

All it is good for is parts.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

FEP Member

I've seen worse cars fixed. I had a body shop lined up and willing to straiten a 'vert body with the motor into the firewall and floors wrinkled, till i found a new shell. A friend of mine had an 89GT with similar damage to that ASC that had been fixed at one point, that whole pillar was cut out and replaced with one from another car. I even had a parts car that had at soem point been basically cut in half to be repaired.

Fixable? yes. Worth it...hard to say. Depends on how bad you want to save an ASC I guess.

One other thing, I'm not sure how much if any that pillar area changed from pre 86 to 87+ cars, but, I have looked on fordparts.com and you can buy all of that structural sheetmetal NEW, instead of cutting it from a junker. Might be worth looking into.

It ain't dead till the crusher/shredder is done with it.

EDIT: I found this quote in the other thread by the owner "The past owner took it to a body shop, they told him it was not repairable. My expert body man states "it will never be the same" it's not worth fixing, at any price. The car was hit direct in the cowel. My bodyman states that a cowel hit ,is the hardest hit to repair. I have a second person coming to look at it tonight, if he states it's not worth fixing, it will be parted out."

I have two uncles who worked in/managed body shops. When we bought the vert with cowl damage, they said the same thing. And to add to what I've said above, I think it COULD be fixed, but I have to agree, it would likely never be the 'same.'

FEP Member

I've seen worse cars fixed. I had a body shop lined up and willing to straiten a 'vert body with the motor into the firewall and floors wrinkled, till i found a new shell. A friend of mine had an 89GT with similar damage to that ASC that had been fixed at one point, that whole pillar was cut out and replaced with one from another car. I even had a parts car that had at soem point been basically cut in half to be repaired.

Fixable? yes. Worth it...hard to say. Depends on how bad you want to save an ASC I guess.

One other thing, I'm not sure how much if any that pillar area changed from pre 86 to 87+ cars, but, I have looked on fordparts.com and you can buy all of that structural sheetmetal NEW, instead of cutting it from a junker. Might be worth looking into.

It ain't dead till the crusher/shredder is done with it.

EDIT: I found this quote in the other thread by the owner "The past owner took it to a body shop, they told him it was not repairable. My expert body man states "it will never be the same" it's not worth fixing, at any price. The car was hit direct in the cowel. My bodyman states that a cowel hit ,is the hardest hit to repair. I have a second person coming to look at it tonight, if he states it's not worth fixing, it will be parted out."

I have two uncles who worked in/managed body shops. When we bought the vert with cowl damage, they said the same thing. And to add to what I've said above, I think it COULD be fixed, but I have to agree, it would likely never be the 'same.'

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

The way I look at it.... It's not worth fixing. You get a good firewall forward front clip, go throught the extraordinary challenge of mating the two "halves" perfectly, & you still have to transfer vin data\ restamp(illegally of course) all the other stampings (like the front frame rail stampings & such) to match(if so inclined). It would never be "origional" again, it will have a salvage title forever, & you may run into issues later on down the road. You would really, really, really just want this specific car so badly( certain rare color combo or such) that it does not matter how much it costs & you never expect to get a dime out of it..... Go for it!
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

The way I look at it.... It's not worth fixing. You get a good firewall forward front clip, go throught the extraordinary challenge of mating the two "halves" perfectly, & you still have to transfer vin data\ restamp(illegally of course) all the other stampings (like the front frame rail stampings & such) to match(if so inclined). It would never be "origional" again, it will have a salvage title forever, & you may run into issues later on down the road. You would really, really, really just want this specific car so badly( certain rare color combo or such) that it does not matter how much it costs & you never expect to get a dime out of it..... Go for it!
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple
    It doesn't have salvage title I don't think. I don't think the insurance company got involved so the car's title is still clear.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple
    It doesn't have salvage title I don't think. I don't think the insurance company got involved so the car's title is still clear.

-Mike

The damage is kinda bad, but the rest of the car is so cherry. If the car is akeeper and not an investment, save it.

The only other option would require using those infamous E-bay rivets...
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"

The damage is kinda bad, but the rest of the car is so cherry. If the car is akeeper and not an investment, save it.

The only other option would require using those infamous E-bay rivets...
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"

FEP Senior Member

Default Can it be fixed

I think it can be fixed.I have witnessed some amazing things done at body shops that I have worked at.The new equipment can get measurements to within 1mm of factory specs.With this car it needs pulled so it is in spec then sheetmetal is going to need replaced.Is it cost effective?No it is not but because of the rarity of the car I think it should be saved.Cars get totaled when the repair exceeds 80% of the cars value.That doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

Give it to me. My father is a TV repairman. He has the ultimate set of tools. I can fix anything.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50
    Give it to me. My father is a TV repairman. He has the ultimate set of tools. I can fix anything.
    Awesome movie.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12