Close

Thread: hood vents

Default hood vents

don't know if this has been asking before but anybody with their stock hoods ever thought about making those capri vents useful and how could u do it and not let water let in ie hood scoops would make a kool RAM air deal lol
    83' capri ~ 306ci
    speedpro LW hyperpistons
    Lightly ported Gt40s milled 040/ 3 angle valve, TFS springs
    E303/ 1.7 RR
    Rpm intake
    holley 650 dp
    BBK headers~ H pipe~ flows
    373's
    C4 and other drag tricks of the trade.

never thought about it as it would be hard to make it ram air for an 86, but it would be sweet for the carb cars. Just get a small filter to put behind the opening, run some ducting, that would be pretty cool i think, not easy though.
    ________
    medical marijuana
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2011 at 04:58 AM.

Default Re: hood vents

Quote Originally Posted by 1983mercurycapri 302
    don't know if this has been asking before but anybody with their stock hoods ever thought about making those capri vents useful and how could u do it and not let water let in ie hood scoops would make a kool RAM air deal lol
    Not letting water in is almost impossible. And I don't know how useful they really would be as ram air vents either. They are horizontal and not vertical like most ram air setups.

Asc made some modified vents and they were nicknamed "rain catchers".

-Mike

yeah I went out and looked at it again, i forgot how horizontal the hood was, they'd also need to be moved more forward I think to do any good, similar to the 69 shelbys.
    ________
    Lincoln LS
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2011 at 04:59 AM.

You could just cut out under them for cooling purposes.

RD
    1979 Capri

2.3 N/A
    Tryin' to get er' runnin'

Check out my website at www.79capri.co.nr

maybe you cold cut them out and use a real small scoop to do a ram air set up, as for the water, a small hole on the underside of the ducting should drain it pretty well

The 68-72 Buick GS had relatively flat hood scoops for its Ram Air setup

http://www.beannies.com/images/Cars/...ront%20Ext.JPG

This is the air cleaner it used
    http://www.beannies.com/images/Cars/...80%20Motor.JPG

I'm sure something similar could be fabbed up for use on a Capri.

They can be made into scoops or vacuum ducts depending on the direction of the under hood ducting. I have a capri cowl with the vents so in my application they could only be converted to vacuum ducts to pull air from under the hood.
    82 Capri RS 5.0 T-top

86caprirs

I used mine for cooling. What I did was cut along the front line faceing the front of the hood.cut up the sides.then just gave them a radius bend toward the front down.That helped cool off the heat comming from the rad.You could not tell I did the mod unless you looked from under the hood.

huum pics??":
    83' capri ~ 306ci
    speedpro LW hyperpistons
    E303/ 1.7 RR
    Rpm intake
    holley 650 dp
    373's

huum pics??":
    83' capri ~ 306ci
    speedpro LW hyperpistons
    E303/ 1.7 RR
    Rpm intake
    holley 650 dp
    373's

i bett ya the turbocoupe onderhood plastic would line up to those vents pretty nice, and could be made into an air intake, maybe not ram air, but cooler air
    Having no ASCII art is NOT cool

i bett ya the turbocoupe onderhood plastic would line up to those vents pretty nice, and could be made into an air intake, maybe not ram air, but cooler air

DO NOT TRY THIS! YOU WILL REGRET IT. TRUST ME.

Those fake vents on the capri hood are right above the serpentine belt. If you cut out inder them, every time it rains your belt will start slipping causing difficulty steering and your engine will start to heat up as the belt slips on the water pump pully. I've been through it. The jackass that owned my capri before me did this to the hood. It took me a year to find another one. Also you will get rust all over the A/C line, brackets for the A/C and poiwer steering. Its a BAD idea. Forget you even thought of it!
    85 Mustang GT
    85 Mercury Capri

DO NOT TRY THIS! YOU WILL REGRET IT. TRUST ME.

Those fake vents on the capri hood are right above the serpentine belt. If you cut out inder them, every time it rains your belt will start slipping causing difficulty steering and your engine will start to heat up as the belt slips on the water pump pully. I've been through it. The jackass that owned my capri before me did this to the hood. It took me a year to find another one. Also you will get rust all over the A/C line, brackets for the A/C and poiwer steering. Its a BAD idea. Forget you even thought of it!
    85 Mustang GT
    85 Mercury Capri

85GT306 has a point..

Perhaps if you rigged a drain tube to channel the draining water away from the belts?

(Ack! Can't type today. I've had to go back & edit ever message on every board I've posted today. At least once or twice..)

85GT306 has a point..

Perhaps if you rigged a drain tube to channel the draining water away from the belts?

(Ack! Can't type today. I've had to go back & edit ever message on every board I've posted today. At least once or twice..)

On a differnet note, I am trying to figure out how I can put these vents in a cowl induction hood. I have to run a cowl hood due to my 351 Cleveland conversion (when I decide to take the tunnel ram off) being too tall with a single four intake. I'm kind of hesitant to cut up a 400 dollar hood!
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's
    5 Lug conversion, cobra discs on all four corners, 1" drop

My cowl hood thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=131334

On a differnet note, I am trying to figure out how I can put these vents in a cowl induction hood. I have to run a cowl hood due to my 351 Cleveland conversion (when I decide to take the tunnel ram off) being too tall with a single four intake. I'm kind of hesitant to cut up a 400 dollar hood!
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's
    5 Lug conversion, cobra discs on all four corners, 1" drop

My cowl hood thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=131334

yea, that is why i said to use the turbocoupe underhood plastic, it would actually put the air right by the throttle body, and is designed by ford not to let water drain into the engine compartment

yea, that is why i said to use the turbocoupe underhood plastic, it would actually put the air right by the throttle body, and is designed by ford not to let water drain into the engine compartment

I agree with 85GT306, It is a really bad idea to cut the hood out under the front vents!!!!! Some jackass did it to my daily driver and I had all the same problems... rust, belt slippage, and more... the module on the distributer died because it got wet and the A/C clutch locked up! That is when I cut new sheet steel and covered the holes back up. Nothing but a big pain in the @&%#!!!!
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

86caprirs

Well I did not say to cut them out but to cut the front and the sides and bend the metal down a bit.This will keep the water off the belt. I used to live on the West Coast of Canada and it rained alot. Never had a problem with the belt getting wet and slipping.

my hood would be the most useful functional hood for a ram air system.