Close

Default Is this '82 GT a factory T-top car?

Doors have been changed so no door tag.

This is my old '82 GT, the one I welded a '92 floorpan into. The guy that is redoing the headliner in the car for my buddy told him that the T-tops were aftermarket because the roof had been cut and all the bracing was rivited into place, not welded.

I told him that the guy was on drugs. In fact, I know the guy, and he IS on drugs.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

aha FoxChassis already answered my question in another post

http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=26274

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

If someone could decode the rest of the tag for me that would be really cool. Thanks.

- William James

MUSTANG = just what it says
    158522 = unit number (last six of VIN)
    61B = three-door hatchback
    F = 5.0L V8, 2V, 157 HP
    TR = T-roof
    1C = Black exterior
    AC = air conditioning
    HB = rear defrost
    GT = GT model
    A = Black interior

I was looking at the your tag and was noticing what was not stamped to it (PW or PWD for power windows or power windows and locks respectively, MBW for manual Borg Warner T-5). Then I'm thinking of course it wouldn't have MBW since that transmission wasn't available until mid '83. Then I thought "MOD" might mean Manual OverDrive (as in SROD). Gonna have to do some more investigating. (All "F" engine code '82s should have "MOD" then, if that is indeed what MOD means.)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    I was looking at the your tag and was noticing what was not stamped to it (PW or PWD for power windows or power windows and locks respectively, MBW for manual Borg Warner T-5). Then I'm thinking of course it wouldn't have MBW since that transmission wasn't available until mid '83. Then I thought "MOD" might mean Manual OverDrive (as in SROD). Gonna have to do some more investigating. (All "F" engine code '82s should have "MOD" then, if that is indeed what MOD means.)
    Cool. Thanks for decoding the tag.

You are of course correct. The car did not come with power windows or door locks. It now has power windows because power doors were swapped on but it is very obvious that the wiring is not factory. The main power lead snakes through the engine compartment and attaches to the positive battery terminal .

MOD makes sense for manual overdrive, ie SROD. Was it '83 that both the SROD and the T5 were available? That would mean they couldn't keep using the same old MOD code and thus T5s got the MBW code to differentiate them from SROD equipped vehicles.

Oh, and that code that is hard to read on the end of the first line is 035, IIRC.

- William James

When the T-5 became available (during the '83 model year) it was standard equipment, at no extra cost, behind the 5.0L engine. The SROD then became optional, with a credit on invoice. I'm not sure how much longer after that time that the SROD was available behind the 5.0L engine.

You won't find a lot of '83+ 5.0L Mustangs or Capris with the SROD.

And that "035" should actually have one more digit on the end.

And for my own decoding detective work...

Does this car have a factory installed front license plate bracket?
    NASA Rocky Mountain
    HPDE Group Leader and CMC Racer

It did have a black painted stamped steel one, but it was badly rusted and I removed it and discarded it before selling the car. I'm pretty sure it was factory, in fact I would lay money on it. It was designed like the later factory plastic ones only it was made of metal. I wanted to keep it and restore it but it was just too badly rusted to save.

Also, NY requires 2 plates, so I would assume any new car sold in the state would be required to have a front plate bracket.

- William James

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    And that "035" should actually have one more digit on the end.
    Oohhh. I'll have to take a look. I put the tag back on the car immediately after taking the photo. Wouldn't want that thing getting lost.

Thanks again Fox.

- William James

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MHISSTC
    And for my own decoding detective work...

Does this car have a factory installed front license plate bracket?
    What code would denote a factory installed license plate bracket? I've never heard of that before.

My 84 has one since it's an original California car (it was natural metal color, but I took it off and painted it matte black to match the GT accents -- still haven't put it back on). I can check my buck tag and verify what it says for you to help verify your decoding detective work.

Rob
    Rob

1984 GT Convertible: Born November 1983 so it has slapper bars and no fog lights. Has DSO 89 (Transportation Services) and later sold to a Ford VP of Finance in Palo Alto, CA. Medium Canyon Red Exterior, Charcoal Interior, 5.0, 5-speed, power windows and doors, and 85k miles.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...ics/?start=all

The buck tag codes are pretty puzzling unless you have some idea what the words are that the codes abbreviate. Like S = speed control, MBW = manual borg warner, PWD = power windows and doors, etc.

As far as I know, no one has been able to correctly decode the NLR on the buck tag. I believe No Rear Louvers has been proposed, but those were strictly a dealer intalled option and would not have been on the buck tag. However, my own suspision is that NLR stands for froNt License plate bRacket. Yes, the brackets could be dealer installed, but I believe cars being built for sale in states that required a front license plate bracket by law had them installed at the factory. So far I think I'm the lone proponent of this decoding.
    NASA Rocky Mountain

FEP Power Member

[
    As far as I know, no one has been able to correctly decode the NLR on the buck tag. I believe No Rear Louvers has been proposed, but those were strictly a dealer intalled option and would not have been on the buck tag. However, my own suspision is that NLR stands for froNt License plate bRacket. Yes, the brackets could be dealer installed, but I believe cars being built for sale in states that required a front license plate bracket by law had them installed at the factory. So far I think I'm the lone proponent of this decoding.[/quote]

My 84 svo that I bought new came with a front license plate bracket and one is not required in Alabama.
    Kendal

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker
    My 84 svo that I bought new came with a front license plate bracket and one is not required in Alabama.
    Allow me to rephrase that.

At the least, cars being built for sale in states that required a front license plate bracket by law had them installed at the factory.

Does it have NLR on the buck tag?
    NASA Rocky Mountain

That is a BIG stretch taking letters in the middle of those three word to form a that code. Every other acronym/code takes the first letter(s), i.e. AC for Air Conditioning, S for Speed Control, HB for Heated Backlight, PW for Power Windows or PWD for Power Windows and Doors (locks), MBW for Manual Borg Warner, and RA for Road Abrasion.

I know. It's a stretch. I'd love for someone to prove my idea either right or wrong. Has there been any hint from any of the different registries what NLR might indicate?
    NASA Rocky Mountain

My Car was destined for Florida. It has NLR on the tag.

Did Florida require front license plate retainers at that time?

-Mike

Try searching at the GT Registry. I would but my IPs have been blocked for some reason unknown to me.

My old '82 GT does not have NLR on the buck tag. It has AL H at the bottom right. And those letters are stamped with a larger font. They were also stamped a different times - they're crooked.
    The bottom row reads: "ELECTRIC - A" It also has "S" stamped over the C and the T in ELECTRIC. The S is in the same larger font as the AL and the H. and looks like it was stamped at the same time as the AL.
    The other two tags (a junkyard '82 GT and my old Capri) I have, have the "-A" in the same location, and also have NLR. Both my '82, and my Capri have Cincinnati DSOs. Ohio has had two plates as far as I can remember. Don't know the DSO of the '82 in the boneyard.
    I wonder if the missing NLR has anything to do with the fact that mine had a rear wiper. It has RW on the tag.
    I agree about Manual OverDrive and Manual Borg Warner.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I've recently located a retired line worker that worked on the "buck" assy line in Dearborne (apparently the shell is called the buck.) He's talking to some old coworkers and going to give me all the info on the tags they can remember ,Including the #s.
    '65 GTO #'s matching 400 needs resto
    '67 Firebird Built 400 , 4sp
    '76 Trans-Am L-75 455 H/O 4sp 54k
    '84 Vette P.O.S cross-fire ( now a 383 stroker w/750 dbl pumper)
    '85 Z28 305 TPI auto 92k
    '85 SVO Under Resto I've been in a rut w/this. will finish summer 08
    '85 Capri One of my favorites ;-)
    '86 300ZX turbo 3.3 liter swap w/ic
    '87 Monte Carlo SS All stock for now..Plans- 455SD,ford 9"rear,etc.etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle_Cars_Only
    I've recently located a retired line worker that worked on the "buck" assy line in Dearborne (apparently the shell is called the buck.) He's talking to some old coworkers and going to give me all the info on the tags they can remember ,Including the #s.
    You are now my bestest friend ever.

I thought you were a GM guy? How is it you're able to dig all this up?

Keep us posted!

Ask him if he stamped any ascMcLAren tags!

-Mike

I'm not brand loyal.I like cars .I know GM alot better than Ford.Hell I own two of the 80's "WTF is that Fords"..You know the ones the general public thinks you took your Mustang and customised it.What can I say? I Like the ton of looks I get driving the capri down the road! ! ! !

I hate not knowing or being able to find out about things on my vehicles , because a company dosen't care about it's customers that are trying to keep their history alive.Unless it was built within the last five years.
    GM has always been happy to give you the info you ask for(parts are interchangable too).This Ford thing "Don't tell them squat" Has erupted in me trying to "Shove it in their face" . Actually I did some calling to some GM people that are car nuts, they in turn turned me on to some of the Ford nuts who said this buck tag thing is a blur. Then this neat Email comes popping in my mailbox that states Buck tags.

"" Dave, Thomas ******** gave me your address.Give me a little more info on your Buck tag.((Which I promptly sent both))

Buck used to be what we called the body without the interior, driveline, etc. Perhaps I can shed some light, it’s been a while.I'll speak with others that have also worked on the line.It might be a few weeks but you will hear back.""

Got my fingers crossed.
    Another person suggested to try to track them by getting the info from as many origional low mileage cars and one owners that i could.list options colors etc. then start comparing the similaraties(sp). Makes sense that's what my other post was about .I really don't feel knowledegable enough on the cars to start deciepher the tags.Hence perhaps the Gurus Foxchassis or Neugsm statement...

I hope this guy has some good info for us.......Hopefully we can track info, use his info----compare and come up with solid evidence.
    FYI I'm going to Livonia MI. this summer ,work related, with a supplier that has BIG ties with ford.Yes I'm going to talk him into getting me some info too......LOL

rant over
    Dave
    '65 GTO #'s matching 400 needs resto
    '67 Firebird Built 400 , 4sp
    '76 Trans-Am L-75 455 H/O 4sp 54k
    '84 Vette P.O.S cross-fire ( now a 383 stroker w/750 dbl pumper)
    '85 Z28 305 TPI auto 92k
    '85 SVO Under Resto I've been in a rut w/this. will finish summer 08
    '85 Capri One of my favorites ;-)
    '86 300ZX turbo 3.3 liter swap w/ic
    '87 Monte Carlo SS All stock for now..Plans- 455SD,ford 9"rear,etc.etc.

FEP Super Member

Default front plate

I worked for Ford in the 80's ...and I remember the front plate bracket was in the trunk , and installed as part of the Pre deliver inspection.
    That was when we would go out and spank the **** out of the new cars and trucks ....I called it " warranty " check !

82ttops

my troof is rivited in an its factory

Mustang Mike

my old 82 GT was a T-top and that was rivited as well....never saw any welds there.