Close

FEP Member

Default MSD box on a CFI car?

I'm thinking of sticking a MSD box on my 5.0 CFI capri to maybe help with fuel mileage. Anyone else here ever stick one of these on a CFI car?
    I'm assuming its nothing special, my only concern is the box might cause some stress amd make the old duraspark box die, is this something to worry about?
    I will put a new coil along with the install so no worries there.
    Any other suggestions on ways to wring out more MPG from this car while keeping it CFI or making it even less powerful? Its in good tune so nothing much is needed in the way of maintenance.
    85 Black Capri RS TTop 5.0

The MSD box should take the place of the duraspark box.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

FEP Member

are you sure? I thought the duraspark box stays on the FI cars

He does not have a Duraspark box (advance is controlled by EEC-IV on a CFI car).

I had an MSD on my car (CFI 85 LTD LX) for a number of years. Passenger side shock tower was where I mounted it. No gain in fuel mileage, though it ran a tad smoother. Ate spark plugfs at a high rate however.

If you can get one used then fine, but no way would I buy a new one for this applciation.

Hope this helps - what kind of mpg are you getting/what mods? A better fuel mileage booster is to switch to a 3 wire heated oxygen sensor.

zak
    1985 LTD LX original owner

FEP Member

oh ok.
    if i get the msd it will be used, no way I would pay new prices for one. I had one on my old carbbed stang and it helped with mpg, but only a little bit, enough that it was worthwhile since I got the box for free. so next msd box has to be a bargain too.
    I'm not sure what my current mpg is, but I get about 200 miles out of a tank and then its almost on E. Its also hard to say because you know how inaccurate our gas gauges can be. The only mods are turbo mufflers which dump at the axle and the rear from a tbird with around 3.50 gears in em. While the gears are a little steeper than stock they don't seem to have hurt mpg any, they may have even helped a bit on some days. I also drive a little slower on the freeway since I put that rear in to compensate.
    I'm not sure but I think I already have the heated O2 sensor, I know it has 3 or 4 wires on it, I'll probably put a new one in pretty soon b4 smog anyway, at which point I can verify and possibly upgrade.

I'm thinking what may really help the car all around would be freshly cleaned injectors, but I have to find some junkyard units to send in, can't afford the downtime on the car right now.

Shok, your car is factory 3 wire O2 sensor? These were rumored to exist but I always thought that the Lincoln LSC (1985) was the application.

When you get a chance, could you get the computer code off of your EEC-IV computer (under the passenger side kick panel)?

Would also be curoius about the code off of your CFI throttlebody, is it a -DA suffix?

Thanks - zak

FEP Member

ok i just took a look at the O2 sensor and thru all the grime it appears to have 2 wires, does that sound right?
    To make a short story long, when I was finally ready to smog the car and register it I bought a nnew o2 sensor and they gave me one with 3 or 4 wires, I gave that to my smog mechanic and asked her to put it in while she goes thru all the vac lines since I'm short on time, she later told me it was the wrong part and she had to get another one. So I guess thats how I got confused.
    Do you still want those other numbers? I just gave a quick look and couldn't find anything on the throttle body. So I need to know exactly where on it to look.

Shok, if there is only one wire, then no need to check computer codes. If there are 3 wires, then when its convenient pleas get the number off the EEC, by removing the kick panel (one or two scres then pry off with a large screwdriver or just pull).

No such animal as a 2 wire O2 sensor.

The throttlebody part number is along the mounting flange where it meets the black phenolic plastic spacer, again no need to check that unless you have a 3 wire O2 sensor.

Thanks a bunch - zak

FEP Member

ok i'll try and take a look this weekend then, i'll have to get the car up on ramps, so kinda dependent on weather.

FEP Member

ok its a 3wire O2 sensor.

I got the numbers, I'm not completely sure how accurate this will be since things are dirty and I have a really bad back so I couldn't stare in that position too long.

ECU: I found stampings on the plastic part, most of the tin was not visible.
    Numbers on the front: E4LB 144459-B AND 431303

On the side: 4L09

Throttle body, I only found numbers on it facing the firewall, they appear to be:
    E5ZE CA A 5A 16

So what does all that mean in the scheme of foxbody things? More power than other CFI cars? Just a cali smog model? Maybe less power?

Hope the info helps anyway.

Shok,

Appreciate the info. The E5ZE-CA throttlebody is a late revision, but its the -DA ones that open a little further for increased WOT airflow.

I need to check out the computer more fully, strange that it starts with E4 and not E5 but I wil check both numbers out (maybe its E5LB 144459-B ?)

An interesting find indeed - John H.

Since I have the kick panels off, just for fun I thought I'd report what I found on my '85 Capri.

- single wire O2 sensor
    - E5ZE BA A 4H 3023 on throttle body
    - SM code on sticker on EEC IV labled computer...couldn't find any other numbers/codes without removal
    NASA Rocky Mountain
    HPDE Group Leader and CMC Racer

FEP Member

do you know of any actually gains with the DA throttle body? You say they open a little further, does that mean mine is just limited from full WOT and can be modified?

I doubt I would change any of those things for such a small gain in what is basically a commuter, but I'm curious still.

sorry to revive an old thread but im at a loss with findng an o2 sensor for my 85 cfi aod gt mine has a 4 wire. i cant find anyone with a listing for it anywhere.
    85 gt cfi aod daily driver
    96 crystal white cobra sold
    89 5.0 5spd coupe rip taken out by hit and run driver