Close

Default Ever seen an 84 Mclaren coupe or do you know where one is?

I figured general BS is the best place for this (not asking for prod .#'s). It seems to be the most elusive of all capri's. There were 25 made but where did they go? One or two had to survive I would think.

It seems most of every other capri variant has surfaced at some point. the GP4 cars are a prime example. I think over 1/2 are accounted for and there were only 30 of them built.

Other than literature, I have not been able to find any pics of one (I believe I know of a hood picture from one). Granted I have not been on the hunt long but I can not believe they have all disappeared. Mabey I am not looking in the right places. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rob
    presenty w/o a foureye

I know where an 86 convertable is for sale. But never seen a coupe.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

FEP Power Member

Doesn't Negusm have one?

25 84s were made and I cannot remember exactly how the 25 number was determined. Whether Sandy Block was told about it or had a bill of sale for 25 units.

Anyways, Sandy has seen only one himself....we have a few pictures of the outside...they had a bit more stripes and the dished hood vents.

One guy I was talking with was on the trail of one that was supposed to be almost new...but I'm guessing that trail got cold.

These cars were driven around for a bit after being built and then sold through L/M dealerships as used cars.

Thats the only info I have unfortunately.

-Mike

25 84s were made and I cannot remember exactly how the 25 number was determined. Whether Sandy Block was told about it or had a bill of sale for 25 units.

Anyways, Sandy has seen only one himself....we have a few pictures of the outside...they had a bit more stripes and the dished hood vents.

One guy I was talking with was on the trail of one that was supposed to be almost new...but I'm guessing that trail got cold.

These cars were driven around for a bit after being built and then sold through L/M dealerships as used cars.

-Mike
    Thanks for the info Mike. Thats exactly what I am talking about. There are stories of them but no one I have talked to has ever seen one. The convertables are almost as rare with 50 and those do show up now and again. I' ll even go back to the GP4 cars again because from what you said, they were sold in a similar fashon(dealers in the detroit area only).

I guess am wonering if 25 were really made. It is obvious 1 or 2 were made because of the literature but did they really make 25. You would think one would have showed up at some point some where but it has not happened.

Thanks
    Rob
    presenty w/o a foureye

Quote Originally Posted by ROBSTANG

-Mike
    Thanks for the info Mike. Thats exactly what I am talking about. There are stories of them but no one I have talked to has ever seen one. The convertables are almost as rare with 50 and those do show up now and again. I' ll even go back to the GP4 cars again because from what you said, they were sold in a similar fashon(dealers in the detroit area only).

I guess am wonering if 25 were really made. It is obvious 1 or 2 were made because of the literature but did they really make 25. You would think one would have showed up at some point some where but it has not happened.

Thanks
    Rob
    Well a couple of things:

1. Verts are a dime a dozen compared to coupes. It doesn't matter what year you're talking about. The verts were treated as rich man's play toys so they were taken care of MUCH more than the coupes. Even with 50 84 verts there are exceedingly FEW around....but there are a few because I think they weren't thrashed like the coupes.

2. Coupes were to be "race cars". They were geared for the gearhead "need for speed" guys....so they were used and used hard. There are few 85-86s left in very very nice shape. Whereas I have seen many many verts in show room shape.

3. The GP4s were directly related to a racing event (Pace Cars) and were probably going to get collector consideration when they were sold whereas ascMcLaren was currently unknown.

4. From what I undertsand, the ascMcLaren coupes were demos, driven around by reps and then sold like used cars. The way Sandy made it sound, nobody really was selling them as collectibles so they probably went to kids who thrashed them.

Well, there is maybe a little more rationalization putting things into perspective...but I agree, I would have thought that at least ONE would be known to the online community.

-Mike

Also...just to add a bit from a note I sent ROBSTANG...

There are other versions of cars out there some of us wonder about:

White Magics
    White 1985 ascMcLaren Coupes

There were more of those built than the 25 84 asc Coupes...but yet I only have seen pictures of 1 White Magic (923 made) and 1 (maybe 2) of the white 85 asc Coupes (60? made).

So if you can tell me where all those went too, I'd be grateful! Keep your eyes peeled!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    There are other versions of cars out there some of us wonder about:

White Magics
    While 1985 ascMcLaren Coupes
    I have now finished a letter to the guy I know from high school who bought a Black (White) Magic new in 1982 and still has it. (No, he doesn't have e-mail.) Hopefully, I will hear back from him soon and he will provide me with some photos.

If he does not respond, I will give him a call when I am back in my hometown at Christmas, and I will ask whether I can journey out to his farm with my camera in hand.
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red