Close

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Default Do you think this is a Ford part?

I am thinking of bidding on this but want to know if this is correct Ford part not repo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-84...spagenameZWDVW

What do you think?

Thanks
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

If he says its been around since the 80's then I bet its not a repro.

Ask him what that tag says? Ask him if its from Ford and if he says yes, ask him to prove it.

-Mike

hard to say. if it's true and from the early 80's, then it's not likely a repo. I'd ask to be sure.

recently i've been finding a bad trend of people claiming NOS parts and turning out to be repro's. some go as far as advertising the original Ford part #, perhaps for un-suspective buyers. (like those cheap overseas made 86-93 fan shrouds.

I know that certain Ford licensed reproductions are legally allowed to do this, but I am not a fan of it. It should be the part # + R, etc. It makes hunting down true NOS parts more difficult.
    1984 Capri RS - 503rwhp/558 Ft/tq on pump gas
    1986 Mustang GT Convertible - 40k, all original

Ford licensed products are "legally" allowed to bear "NOS"? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They're not "OLD"! Their NRS, "new reproduction stock".

NOS = New old stock. New OEM parts that have never been on a car but may have some age/shelf wear (decades).

NORS = New Old Reproduction Stock = Repros that were made years ago but have never been on a car.
    Repro guys like to say "New Old Replacement Stock" making you think that they might be NOS stuff.

Then there's the debate that Ford service parts are NOT NOS parts because they vary slightly than what might be from the assembly line or have varied slightly in their manufacture.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Capri50
    recently i've been finding a bad trend of people claiming NOS parts and turning out to be repro's. some go as far as advertising the original Ford part #, perhaps for un-suspective buyers. (like those cheap overseas made 86-93 fan shrouds.
    Trend? Thats been happening for DECADES!

The reason it appears to be on the rise is that "NOS" was always stuck with the classic crowd...

...now with the Fox cars getting hot, all of a sudden people are seeing "visors" go for $300 for no reason at all except for this little "NOS" tag line to it. What the hell is NOS? I thought NOS meant Naaaawwwws? To the guys selling Fox parts, NOS is a new concept.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    Ford licensed products are "legally" allowed to bear "NOS"?
    no, what I mentioned above is vendors who are selling Ford 'licensed' parts are putting original part #'s on their advertisements.

While co's like DC industries do make some half decent repro's from the original ford tooling, I do not think they should be advertised with original/factory part #'s.

In addition, Co's like 50resto.com further blur the lines between original parts and repro's to Joe consumer. On several occassions I have ordered parts advertised with true Ford Part #'s, and received a reproduction part in return.

imo, that is not acceptable.
    1984 Capri RS - 503rwhp/558 Ft/tq on pump gas
    1986 Mustang GT Convertible - 40k, all original

Quote Originally Posted by Capri50
    In addition, Co's like 50resto.com further blur the lines between original parts and repro's to Joe consumer. On several occassions I have ordered parts advertised with true Ford Part #'s, and received a reproduction part in return.

imo, that is not acceptable.
    AGREED! I have purchased parts and gotten FORD parts in the package. Later purchased the SAME parts and gotten repros.

I wish 50Resto would distinguish. Some of their ads do say "OEM" or Ford. I assume usually though that I will be getting a repro.

-Mike

Also beware of the "original tooling" thing
    It's becoming more common in the resto world (of older cars, especially muscle cars these days) to want to state in your ad
    "We have/aquired/bought/ the original XXX tooling"
    They can ask more money for their product
    More people want to buy their product
    Often in that world manufacturers or vendors buy the original tooling just to say they did...they don't use it to actually make the product
    Another way is to license or "sell" the rights to that claim to vendors, or manufacturers, by the (now) owners of the tooling, which sits in a warehouse somewhere, sometimes in pieces
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

i was just looking at that part on ebay myself to replace the weathered bumper cover on my 79. i will be out of town next week so i'm not gonna look into any further. the thing that bothered me about this ad is that it says 79-84, and as we all know, 79-82 are different than 83-86. i was gonna ask the seller about this, but since i won't be here to bid on it anyway, decided not to bother

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I asked the user for a part # and they did not reply to my email
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

FEP Super Member

Why no local pick up?

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

i thought they were molded in yellow plastc?
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection