Close

Default SVO Tail Lens Questions

So Foxchassis and evil86lx have informed me the pin stripes are supposed to be painted on the outside of the lens'.

I was just wondering if anyone had the proper measurments for the pin stripes.

Ie. Width of stripes, length (on the ones that dont go to the end), space size between stripes, and space between the edge of the lens and beginning of the first stripe.

I will be air brushing the stripes on and adding a clearcoat over top, so I'll be sure to take pictures for everyone.

If anyone has pictures of "SVO" lens' either stock or home made, please post them.

Thanks guys.
    Calon

1985 LX Notchback (Project)
    1995 Mustang GT (In For Color Change)

FEP Super Member

ah frack. I owe you a picture .Stupid me.

I have both in the garage and I swear I'm going to get you a pic of them.

my bad.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I will tell you that the 84 SVO taillights are trimmed in black. The 85-86's are trimmed in charcoal. This is because the trim color changed in 85 and 86. The 93 Cobra uses the charcoal versions last used on the 85 SVO. The stripes are 1/8" in width and the middle line is centered on both the upper and lower portions of the lense. From that centered line the other two lines are 7/16" above and below. That is based on the 84 SVO lenses I have on my 88 GT. Given some production tolerances, there could be some difference in measurements between lenses. It is probably best that several people post up what they have and you just take an average. Also remember that the middle line on the lower portion stops just before the small marker light on the outside edge of the lense near the rear quarter panel.

Just measured the middle line on the lower half where it stops. On the driver side lens it is just a hair under 2 3/4" on the passenger side it is just a hair over 2 3/4".

I guess Ill just even my bottom stripes out at 2 3/4" each

Thanks for the info silver85! The stripe color isn't a biggie, as these are only going to be for my cars and I might play with the line colors.. The measurments were the big thing, cause I like to be precise.

I'll probably just use the paint I have for my car (Pearl Black) that way it's retains stock (ish) looks.

If I do them on the coupe (after I repaint it blue) I'll probably still have the black stripes to match the mouldings and trim..
    Calon

Your welcome. I'm glad I could help. As for the measurements. I measured to the center of the middle line when I referenced it being in the middle. And for the outside stripes I measured from the edge of the middle line to the edge of the upper and lower. So the 7/16 measurement is from edge to edge. Just FYI.

Thats what I figured for the line to line measurment, thanks for clearing that up though!
    Calon

For anyone like me that doesn't have the talent or equipment, you can use 1/8 pinstripe instead of paint. IMHO it looks damn good and has lasted 20 yrs on my 85 and still looks great.

Thought about the pinstripe, but I like the idea of painting them on.
    Calon

Sorry to bump up this old thread, but were there any 85-86 SVO/93 Cobra lenses with painted stripes for sale? All are decals correct?
    ‘22 Crosstrek Limited
    ‘07 Pontiac Vibe
    ‘06 Pontiac Vibe
    ‘05 Toyota Highlander 2.4
    ‘04 BMW 330i ZHP 6 spd
    ‘03 Toyota Matrix XRS 6 spd
    ‘88 Mustang Coupe Boss 327 Vortech Si Magnum MM StopTech
    ‘68 Buick Skylark 462 TKO600 RideTech
    ‘85 Mustang Coupe ‘04 Cobra Swap

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
    Sorry to bump up this old thread, but were there any 85-86 SVO/93 Cobra lenses with painted stripes for sale? All are decals correct?
    Are you asking if anyone makes/sells the correct painted stripe version for the '85/86 SVO and '93 Cobra? The answer would be no, but DC does reproduce the lenses with pin stripes.

There are NOS pieces out there from time to time and of course nice used ones as well.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Oh ok so all original SVOs and 93 Cobras have pinstripes. None were ever painted like I thought
    ‘22 Crosstrek Limited
    ‘07 Pontiac Vibe
    ‘06 Pontiac Vibe
    ‘04 BMW 330i ZHP 6 spd

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
    Oh ok so all original SVOs and 93 Cobras have pinstripes. None were ever painted like I thought
    No that is incorrect. The original Ford parts had painted stripes. The Reproduction ones are regular repro taillights with pinstripe tape added.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    No that is incorrect. The original Ford parts had painted stripes. The Reproduction ones are regular repro taillights with pinstripe tape added.
    Kevin is correct, sorry if my response was confusing, I guess I misunderstood your question.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Ok thanks for clearing that up! Wish I could get my hands on a painted set
    ‘22 Crosstrek Limited
    ‘07 Pontiac Vibe
    ‘06 Pontiac Vibe
    ‘04 BMW 330i ZHP 6 spd

You can make your own by taking a non-SVO 83-84 lense (Black trim) or 85-86 lense (Charcoal trim) and painting them yourself. Or pinstripe them. Just don't cover the side marker light area, to make them authentic.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags