Close

Default Restoration Q Do I get the doormouldings back on 100%???????

Just wondering, I took them of with a special knife.
    The result is that they look like they still can be used to put them back up again, however some people (who done that before) say its not gonna work.
    Youll never get them back on again without seing that they have been off
    I want them on again!!!!!!!

Now whats your opinion or experience with this???????????

I do see a lot of stangs without on picswithout, or just without the centerpiece

Without

without center

complete
    [X] Nail here for a new monitor
    www.unit175.com

84gt86svo

That rubber molding can be put back on and you'll never see that it has been off. Just pull the metal backing off of it, lay it out in the sun so it warms up, and all you have to do is get some double sided tape and stick it back on. Look at Hissing Cobra's car, that's what he did, and you can't tell they've ever been removed.

Definitely pull the metal backing off. If you dont it will never stay on right and will keep pulling loose. I usually just start a razor blade under one end until I have enough to clamp a vise-grip to. Then I hold it up and let the vise grip hang down while putting a propane torch under it to heat up the aluminum strips. As it heats up the weight from the vise grip will pull it off nice and clean. Then just use some double stick tape and put them back on. You wont believe how nice they go on by doing this.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

'86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

I did it the same way as said above. It worked great and looked good as well. You couldn't tell they had been off.
    Matt

1985 Cougar XR-7 5 speed manual.

I would just add that I have hear from 85-86 guys that when you remove the metal backing, the long door moulding may shrink as much as 2".

I have only heard this from 85-86 owners and have never heard it from anyone with an earlier car.

-Mike

84gt86svo

Propane torch? I did mine without one and it worked great.

Negusm, I did this to an 84, and the door pieces shrunk slightly, but not enough to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    I would just add that I have hear from 85-86 guys that when you remove the metal backing, the long door moulding may shrink as much as 2".

I have only heard this from 85-86 owners and have never heard it from anyone with an earlier car.

-Mike
    My 88 GT molding did shrink about 1/2"-3/4" but it is not enough to tell. I'm the only one that knows they are shorter. Well... everyone who reads this will know. A link to my corral gallery is in my sig. You can see before and after pics there. They aren't close ups but.. you get the idea.

When the molding starts to curl up on the ends, that means the rubber is shrinking. It's just typical of the type of rubber they used. Several different auto makers used it and you can see many mid 80's cars that have molding "curling" up.

Thanx for all who responded, also the link is very helpful.
    I think I will follow Hissing Cobra's advice.

Will post the results with pics after I,m done!
    [X] Nail here for a new monitor
    www.unit175.com