Cross-posted at the MMM forum

Hi all,
I wanted to tell you about a fix I did to my instument cluster lens. Like many of you I'm sure, the clear instrument cluster lens in my 1979 Mustang type instument cluster (retrofitted into my 1978 Zephyr) was a bit scratched an hazed.You can buy new instument panel cover assemblies (includes the lens) for $50 or just the lens for $25. I repaired my lens to near perfect clarity for about $5. This can be done to any 1978-1983 FZ or 1979-1986 Mustang instument cluster lens and possibly many other Fox cars as well.

First remove the entire instument cluster from the instrument panel (dash). Then remove the upper housing/lens from the lower housing (the part with the guages in it). The lens can be removed from the upper housing by very carefully drilling out/off the heads of the small heat staked 'rivets' that retain the lens to the upper housing (dont drill into the lens). Once removed the lens can be buffed/polished (both sides) to a very high clearness using liquid plastic polish sold at any auto parts store for a few bucks. I re-attached my lens to the upper hosuing using very small self tapping screws and flat washers available for practically pennies at any good hardware store. I apologize but I forget the exact size screws but they fit the hollow stubs of the rivets that the heads were drill off of. I used stainless steel screws and washers. Once re-assembled the screws are undetectable and the instrument clarity, especially at night, is supurb. And if the lens ever get scratched or hazy again it is now easily removed.

I hope this is helpfull.

Paul