Close

84gt86svo

Default Where is the fuel pump relay on an 86-93 5.0 Mustang?

My convertible is sitting about 40 miles from the house in a parking lot because it quit running on me. I noticed that after it shut off, I did't hear the fuel pump running when I tried to start it. Where is the relay located? What are the chances of it being the relay instead of the pump? I'm going to tow it home tomorrow, hope no one messes with it tonight.

'86-'91 = under driver seat
    '92-'93 = inner fender, under MAF meter
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

84gt86svo

It's a 90. What is the likelyhood that is the problem? Are the pumps known to have problems? I just filled this thing up this morning, and I'm really hoping it's not the pump.

Im putting money on the pump if you can't here it running. But thats just my opinion, I have not seen a relay go before a pump.
    The economic times suck... GREAT TIME FOR BUYING FOXES!!!

86 T-TOP RS, 32,000 Miles, near mint ONLY 320.00USD...

84gt86svo

From looking on corral.net, it "seems" to be more common for the relay to crap out, and I'm hoping so, since it is much easier and cheaper to fix.

Did it die on you while you were driving?
    Or you came out of the store and it wouldn't start?
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

i had the same problem with my old 86 capri. Before the pump went out i would have trouble starting it, i would crank it over for several min (not at one time) before it would catch. New pump was $156 installed. Of course, the place i took it to quoted me the mech. fuel pump price instead of the elec. and they stuck to their original pricing. Gotta love Midas. Anyway, my point is if you have had trouble starting it for a while now it is probably the fuel pump. If not, i have no idea, could be either. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    ________
    extreme vaporizer
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2011 at 04:45 AM.

84gt86svo

Never had any trouble starting it, but the pump has seemed a little noisy since I bought it. I was driving it at the time, and when it started sputtering, I pulled it into a parking lot. It pepped back up for a second or two, then it died. When I tried to start it again a couple of times, it acted like it wanted to fire, but it never would.

thats what mine did to when it finally died entirely but i had trouble for months before it went out. Mine never made noise though. Sounds like the pump was not working right and it finally went maybe. Hard to tell. I'd get a relay out of a clean jy car and try first, cant be to expensive.
    ________
    RD350
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2011 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 84gt86svo
    I was driving it at the time, and when it started sputtering, I pulled it into a parking lot.
    Them's TFI failure symptoms
    But if you don't hear the pump when you turn the key to run, it's prolly the pump
    I disagree with the corral dudes on that one

If you can switch the relay with a known good one...
    ...or they can be tested

84gt86svo

I guess I'll just rent a dolly tomorrow morning and worry about diagnosing it when I get it here. Great, my 84 is currently engineless, my 79 is in need of an inspection that it won't pass, my 90 is broken down 40 miles away, and my wife's Taurus has a check engine light on. Thank goodness for my old F150, it'll be going when everything else is dead (although it did just get recalled).

Sorry dude
    Old cars need some TLC
    They are worth it

What year Soreass?
    You might be able to pull the codes yourself
    It could be something real easy

84gt86svo

The Taurus has a code of EGR 401, I think I've figured out the problem.

I rented a tow dolly today, the car was too low to roll on the dolly, and I scratched/chipped the paint off of the rear bumper before I found out the car was too low . Then I got to wait two hours for a tow truck to take it to my inlaws house. Today thoroughly sucked, I tore up a bumper cover, wasted $32 on a dolly, and had to pay $27 for a tow, and I won't get back to the car until next weekend .

FEP Member

i have an '86 and when my pump quit ( in the driveway thank goodness) it was a corroded wire at the fuel pump relay under the seat. it was the power wire (big yellow one). it fell right out of the connector. i just removed it from the plug, reterminated it and reinstalled it. been working great.
    basically first toubleshooting step would be to check for power and a good ground at the pump (connector behind rear bumper) power will be there when you turn on key for a few seconds.

FEP Member

i have an '86 and when my pump quit ( in the driveway thank goodness) it was a corroded wire at the fuel pump relay under the seat. it was the power wire (big yellow one). it fell right out of the connector. i just removed it from the plug, reterminated it and reinstalled it. been working great.
    basically first toubleshooting step would be to check for power and a good ground at the pump (connector behind rear bumper) power will be there when you turn on key for a few seconds.

Have a 88 mustang going to replace the pigtail for the fuel relay and the wires on the pigtail and harness are different how do i know witch wires go were

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

easy enough to troubleshoot, grab a volt meter or test light, and test for voltage at the pump while a helper turns the key to the on position. No power, then bad relay, power means bad pump.

Relay is easy enough to troubleshoot too, you'll have 2 power sources going into the relay and one out. The ones going into the relay is 12v that's always hot. If memory serves thats the double wire going into the relay. If you probe for 12v there and get nothing, there is a fuseable link I believe passenger side near the firewall. The other one is key on power. turn the key on while probing that wire. No power there means possible ignition switch failure (that white plastic switch under the steering column plastics) that ignition switch always falls apart, and you lose power to your fuel pump relay. If you have both power sources going in, and nothing coming out then the relay is bad.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip