Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    84s had the post style radio, that is true. I am not sure when the middle dash pad mounting tab moved.

You're sure that the middle tab to mount the dash pad is DIRECTLY over the steering column and not off to the right like the later ones?
    I checked it before I posted the reply and even checked again this morning in case I was stupid. Yes, directly above. I have had the gauges cover out many times and that is why just look at the pictures had me scratching my head.

It appears in the pictures that the vents on the passenger side are a little different as well.

Perhaps that truly is an 85-86 dash. Yet, as you know, there was the release in mid 84.
    85 GT convertible

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    84s had the post style radio, that is true. I am not sure when the middle dash pad mounting tab moved.

You're sure that the middle tab to mount the dash pad is DIRECTLY over the steering column and not off to the right like the later ones?
    I checked it before I posted the reply and even checked again this morning in case I was stupid. Yes, directly above. I have had the gauges cover out many times and that is why just look at the pictures had me scratching my head.

It appears in the pictures that the vents on the passenger side are a little different as well.

Perhaps that truly is an 85-86 dash. Yet, as you know, there was the release in mid 84.
    85 GT convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Puter
    I think you are seeing the "profile difference" I mentioned. The vents looked about the same to me but the dashes when sitting on the floor do not sit the same way. The early dash's top sits closer to the floor.

The lower dash was marked "85" on it and I assume that to mean the year is was made. It was identical to the dash I removed from my car.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Puter
    I think you are seeing the "profile difference" I mentioned. The vents looked about the same to me but the dashes when sitting on the floor do not sit the same way. The early dash's top sits closer to the floor.

The lower dash was marked "85" on it and I assume that to mean the year is was made. It was identical to the dash I removed from my car.

-Mike

Where did you get those dashes...i was assuming that you were talking about the dash pad with the speakers..but seeing your picture I am a bit confused...I am looking fro one of those dashes in grey...where did you find it? It looks new...
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 4v HO Light Regatta Blue - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Rbuckley
    Where did you get those dashes...i was assuming that you were talking about the dash pad with the speakers..but seeing your picture I am a bit confused...I am looking fro one of those dashes in grey...where did you find it? It looks new...
    To recap:

We started out talking about dash pads...then I mentioned that the dashes and pads wre changed sometime before 1985 and posted a picture of a D9 (1979) NOS dash hull and an E5 (1985) NOS dash hull. They are NOS (New Old Stock) pieces that had never been on a car.

Daniel Carpenter Enterprises in Charlotte, NC had some of the 85 dashes....probably still do for $250 each.

The 1979 dash that I had was one I got from ebay....but later relisted it after I sourced the 1985 dash. If you ask around, you may come up with another one....but I wouldn't hold my breath. It will be much easier and cheaper to find a good dash out of a junkyard car. Contact Vnly on this board. Supposedly he says he sees perfect dashes in the Junkyards of So-Cal all the time.

Depending on the car you have, you may want to look for a dash of the same year. I personally know they made a D9, E3 and E5 dash. It is also possible they made more changes and had a different dash for every year.

-Mike

Rbuckley, rereading your post, do not confuse the "color" with the year of manufacture. ALL dashes are a light crappy looking grey. They ALL were painted by Ford before being installed in a car. The grey they are molded in is NOT charcoal grey.

If you want the correct dash for your 85 you need the tan one. It is light grey underneath just like the 1979 one but has been painted tan. All Daniel Carpenter had was tan dashes when I went there to pick it up. He must have found a stock of tan NOS replacement dashes.

-Mike

ok i understand...i got confused...i do know of a mustang only garveyard here in Rhode Island that has 64 1/2 - 04 mustangs of all types and i am sure i can find a decent one for my 85. Mine is cracked from the previous owner ripping out the stock radio and in the process destroying the bay and other parts. If there was a reproduction of it or a NOS supply somewhere i would rather do that than digging through a j/y. If I cant find one then I will have to resort to the internet. Im just not at that part in the project yet. Thanks for the clarification.
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 4v HO Light Regatta Blue - SOLD

Call Daniel Carpenter and ask if they have any 85-86 dash hulls.

They will be $250+shipping.

He had more when I got mine and I haven't seen him advertise them any further so I assume he still has some.

Daniel Carpenter Mustang Reproductions
    Daniel Carpenter
    4310 Concord Pkwy.
    SouthConcord, NC 28027
    Telephone: 704-788-7875
    Facsimile: 704-784-4118

-Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12