Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The new 5.0 Resto 79-86 Dash Pad, not the best for concours

Hi,

Just wanted to give everyone an FYI on the 79-86 Dash Pad (LRS-04282B) in case they need one their 4 eye.

First off the color is dead on, fit is good but finsih leaves some to be desired.

It would seem that the injection mold is sloppy around the lower section of the center speaker grill. It is the complete assembly like the original, but does not use a hard fibourus plastic backbone with the covering. The entire assembly is a urethane mold and is about 5-7lbs heavier. It does have some waviesness in the pour.

It is great to have a new dash pad (I dont like overlays) but definitely not oem level finish.

But, for 189.00 not a bad deal to get rid of the cracks without utilzing the overlay.

I can post pics if anyone is interested
    84.5 5.0 5spd Non-Air T-top AE
    84.5 2.3 Turbo 5spd w/Air T-Top AE
    03 Mach 1

http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...hlight=nos+pad

Here is a thread where I compared repro vs NOS.

Yes, they are nice...not perfect and worth ~$180.

If you want perfect restoration, you need to find an OEM (~$450 NOS) one for a perfect fit.

-Mike

FEP Senior Member

ppi lists ford oem for 260.00 under its mustang interior-
    exterior section.--Irv
    [perfomancepartsinc.com]
    talk to jim-been super helpful to me

Quote Originally Posted by irvin
    ppi lists ford oem for 260.00 under its mustang interior-
    exterior section.--Irv
    [perfomancepartsinc.com]
    talk to jim-been super helpful to me
    Yep, that's a good price. I wonder what colors he has....I'm betting no Charcoal ones...

Still though, for $150 less than what I paid for my NOS charcoal pad, I would paint one.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13390&highlight=nos+pad

Here is a thread where I compared repro vs NOS.

Yes, they are nice...not perfect and worth ~$180.

If you want perfect restoration, you need to find an OEM (~$450 NOS) one for a perfect fit.

-Mike
    Thanks.. It is good for the 180 and does the job on the car but, I think I will still try to find an OEM pad
    84.5 5.0 5spd Non-Air T-top AE
    84.5 2.3 Turbo 5spd w/Air T-Top AE
    03 Mach 1

FEP Senior Member

jim told me they are blue . will grt me a part # today.--Irv

FEP Senior Member

Blue is about the best color to dye charcoal grey. If done right, there is no reason it wouldn't be just as good as a NOS charcoal one.

-Mike

Blue is about the best color to dye charcoal grey. If done right, there is no reason it wouldn't be just as good as a NOS charcoal one.

-Mike

FEP Power Member

-Mike
    Why is blue the best?
    I have a blue one in GREAT SHAPE that I am planning to dye black (when that time comes)

FEP Power Member

-Mike
    Why is blue the best?
    I have a blue one in GREAT SHAPE that I am planning to dye black (when that time comes)

Quote Originally Posted by BetterDays

-Mike
    Why is blue the best?
    You don't need quite so much paint as the blue color is closest to grey. If it happens to get scrathed, I'd rather have a bit of blue show through instead of red or tan.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BetterDays

-Mike
    Why is blue the best?
    You don't need quite so much paint as the blue color is closest to grey. If it happens to get scrathed, I'd rather have a bit of blue show through instead of red or tan.

-Mike

FEP Senior Member

they are the D9ZZ # according to ppi.

FEP Senior Member

DOH! That means that one mounting point is wrong for 83-86 cars. Not a biggie since you can notch the pad to make it fit but you cannot screw down that location either.

-Mike

DOH! That means that one mounting point is wrong for 83-86 cars. Not a biggie since you can notch the pad to make it fit but you cannot screw down that location either.

-Mike

FEP Senior Member

where is this mounting point located?

FEP Senior Member

This is a picture of a 1979 NOS dash (top one) and a 1985-86 NOS dash (bottom). Look at the three tabs above where the gauge cluster would be. The middle tab was moved in 82 or 83 to the right. You would have to notch the pad to allow it to sit down around the middle tab or snap off the tab and/or glue it in the 1979 location. My vote would be to notch the pad.

This is a picture of a 1979 NOS dash (top one) and a 1985-86 NOS dash (bottom). Look at the three tabs above where the gauge cluster would be. The middle tab was moved in 82 or 83 to the right. You would have to notch the pad to allow it to sit down around the middle tab or snap off the tab and/or glue it in the 1979 location. My vote would be to notch the pad.

-Mike
    You say the notch moved in 82 or 83? My 84 is like the 79 above including the part in the middle where I have a shaft radio. I bought this car from the first owner and I know the dash was not replaced. It's build date is 9/83 according to the body tag.
    85 GT convertible

-Mike
    You say the notch moved in 82 or 83? My 84 is like the 79 above including the part in the middle where I have a shaft radio. I bought this car from the first owner and I know the dash was not replaced. It's build date is 9/83 according to the body tag.
    85 GT convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Puter

-Mike
    84s had the post style radio, that is true. I am not sure when the middle dash pad mounting tab moved.

You're sure that the middle tab to mount the dash pad is DIRECTLY over the steering column and not off to the right like the later ones?

There were other changes along the way too. They changed the glove box size and the older dashes had a bit of a different "angle" to them. Its hard to describe but their profile was shifted a bit within the car. They also had a deeper grain texture.

When all these changes occured I don't know 100%.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Puter

-Mike
    84s had the post style radio, that is true. I am not sure when the middle dash pad mounting tab moved.

You're sure that the middle tab to mount the dash pad is DIRECTLY over the steering column and not off to the right like the later ones?

There were other changes along the way too. They changed the glove box size and the older dashes had a bit of a different "angle" to them. Its hard to describe but their profile was shifted a bit within the car. They also had a deeper grain texture.

When all these changes occured I don't know 100%.

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast