Close

Default Master cylinder question

Hi all,
    I need to replace the MC in my 78 Zephyr (see my sig for my complete setup) as it is getting rusty and may be leaking a bit. My current setup is an early/mid 80's Fox type cast iron MC (I think this MC has a 15/16" bore) and matching booster, with 87+ Mustang 11" rotors/spindles and 60mm calipers.

I am thinking of replacing this MC with the aluminum 85 Town Car MC with 1" bore. I believe this swap should be 100% plug-and-play (as far as brake line fitting sizes and locations). Im thinking of using this MC primarily as it will not rust and is lighter.

My question is it a bad idea to go with the 1" bore MC and the existing 60mm calipers? I've read different opinions here regarding the 73mm calipers and their worthiness. My Zephyr is 100% street driven and not driven all that hard. But I still want to be safe and be able to depend on my brakes in an emergency.

Also can anyone give me details (or a link) on the booster rod adjustment procedure? Is this a bit of trial and error?

All opinions/info welcome.

Thanks,
    Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

LTDScott says that set MC works better then the SVO MC.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Quote Originally Posted by Marz
    For my setup, it is. Cobra brakes up front, Mk7 discs in rear. But on his car, I dunno.

As far as the fittings go, when I put the Mark 7 m/c on your car, I had to change one of the lines to make it work. My car already had a Mark 7 m/c on it when I bought it, and when I converted to the TC unit I had to get an adapter. So I have no idea if the fittings would be the same on his car.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marz
    For my setup, it is. Cobra brakes up front, Mk7 discs in rear. But on his car, I dunno.

As far as the fittings go, when I put the Mark 7 m/c on your car, I had to change one of the lines to make it work. My car already had a Mark 7 m/c on it when I bought it, and when I converted to the TC unit I had to get an adapter. So I have no idea if the fittings would be the same on his car.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.