Close

Default EFI conversion, washer reservoir relocation

Hi all,
    If I want to install a 86+ type washer reservoir in my 78 Zephyr (when I remove the existing one to make room for the battery, etc) I know I need to cut a large hole in the drivers side inner fender. But do you need to remove the fender itself to install the later reservoir?

Thanks,
    Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

Most likely...if not the fender, the wheel and the inner fender lining would need to be removed. But its been awhile since I've been under there so I can't be for sure of its size.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Nope, you just need to remove the plastic inner fender liner. I'm in the process of doing this myself. I removed the stock washer/coolant reservoir to mount an ignition box. Using the Mustang style washer reservoir (taken from a Cougar in the junkyard) and I'm trying to find a Mustang coolant overflow tank in good shape.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott
    Nope, you just need to remove the plastic inner fender liner. I'm in the process of doing this myself. I removed the stock washer/coolant reservoir to mount an ignition box. Using the Mustang style washer reservoir (taken from a Cougar in the junkyard) and I'm trying to find a Mustang coolant overflow tank in good shape.
    lol... I have a good coolent overflow tank and am looking for a good 86-93 fan shrowd! I don't think I'll find it (and the fan) in the salvage yards anytime soon so I may just look for a goos OEM or repro on line.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Shrouds can be found on eBay. So can the overflow tanks, actually, but most are in crappy shape and I'm reluctant to spend $50 on a new one.

Actually I talked to a guy on the Corral who wanted to sell a shroud and overflow tank to me, but the overflow tank is in bad shape. Maybe you can get the shroud from him.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...86#post5116086
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Guys,
    Thanks for the info! I figured that getting the late reservoir in there would take at least removing the inner plastic fender liner.

Now, speaking of the late coolant overflow tank, how exactly does this mount to the fan shroud? I have what I believe to be a late model shroud in the Zephyr. It has a 'E5' part number molded into it on the drivers side, but the vacuum schematic label on top (which I never bothered to remove) has a 'F1' part number so I assume that the shroud was from a '91. But I do not see any mounting holes, bosses, etc on the drivers side of the shroud as I would expect to mount the tank. Can anyone explain the mounting arraingment?

Thanks,
    Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

OK (just when I thought I was a real Fox / F/Z / 5.0L expert...)
    Just looked at pictures of Fox Mustang radiator shrouds at Ebay and I guess there are 79-85 shrouds and 86+ shrouds, and I have a 79-85 shroud. But that vacuum diagram with the 'F1' part number on my shroud is a real mystory to me! Anyway I guess I'll need to get a 86+ shroud when I do the EFI conversion as I may not need the washer reservoir but I know I should have the coolant reservoir and the existing one will need to be removed for the battery relocation.

BTW does anyone know if the 79-85 radiators are different ?

Thanks,
    Paul