Close

VinceD76

Default 1986 SVO master cylinder vs Lincoln master cylinder

Hey guys you've helped me tremendously in the past and hope you can help me again. Basically I'm doing the 11" brake upgrade with the 73mm lincoln/svo calipers. I'm gathering all the parts and I've read the Matt GT web page a million times. Here is my question: on the web page it says all 79-86 should use the mid eighties lincoln master cylinder and only use the svo master cylinder if you are going to have rear disc brakes I assume because it has a bigger bore. Also he says that the svo master cylinder requires some adaptors (probably just fittings) to make it work. My problem is I wanted to buy one brand new and the lincoln master cylinder doesn't come with a reservoir and the svo unit does. I haven't been able to find one in the junkyard because 1985 lincolns, mercurys, and ford crown vics seem to be to old for the boneyards around my place. The 1986 svo unit is only 50.00 brand new and comes with the reservoir. Will the svo unit still work fine? I"m keeping the 4 lug drum brakes in the back. Thanks for your help in advance.

i went to napa by my neck of the woods and bought the lincoln master cyl. for twenty bucks and i have the turbocoupe rear with the disk brakes and it works great..... so thats what im suggesting
    "Dont do the crime if you cant do the time" --in other words no aero swaps
    84 mustang gt vert
    91 mustang lx 4cyl. vert driver
    81coupe/351w/turbo coupe8.8/c-4 tranny sold

93 -4cyl lx (frankenstang) work car -sold
    88 turbo-coupe sold

I used a 1985 Lincoln Town car M/C and it bolts straight in and works great. The 1989 Lincoln Mk VII M/C is the same as the SVO's and wothout rear discs makes the brake pedal very hard. Even with the 73mm front calipers.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

I had the guys at the U-pullit run the master for me. '85 towncar interchanges with

Crown Victoria '83-'87
    Grand Marquis '79-'87
    Lincoln Mark Series '80-'83
    Lincoln Town Car '80-'89
    LTD '79-'82

You can use one from any of the above vehicles.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

It's only $23 from Autozone even without a core. $14.99 each with a $7.50 core. LLT warranty. Dont even play around with a junkyard M/C with prices like that. Heck, even give them your old M/C and get the $7.50 back. They wont know the difference.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT
    It's only $23 from Autozone even without a core. $14.99 each with a $7.50 core. LLT warranty. Dont even play around with a junkyard M/C with prices like that. Heck, even give them your old M/C and get the $7.50 back. They wont know the difference.
    The main point I was making is that the infamous "'85 towncar master" actually fits a plethora of full-size Ford vehicles.

I've had "lifetime guaranteed" MCs that were BLOWN right out of the box. TWO in a row once. Wanna talk about pissed off. .

If I can find a nice looking master at the J/Y for $5, I'll use that over some VatoZone replacement that may or may not work. The J/Y master has a better chance of actually working.

Actually, at the yard I go to, I wouldn't even have to pay. However, all the ones I've seen were scroungy looking so I never bothered. Should I happen to find a nice one, you can bet I'll snag it for my swap. Otherwise I'll end up rolling the dice with a parts store master.

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

VinceD76

I checked the autozone site and it says the master cylinder doesn't not include the reservoir, so if anything I'll have to find the reservoir at the junkyard at least. Maybe I'll call the store and see if they have one with the reservoir included. On the site it lists the reservoir but it says not yet available. That is my biggest concern I don't mind spending the money for the new one. I just want to make sure I get both pieces.

??? reservoir ????
    84 mustang gt vert

88 turbo-coupe sold

VinceD76

Yeah isn't there a reservoir in the master cylinder. It says in the description that its not included and I assume that my mustang one won't fit.

That style master cylinder doesn't HAVE an external reservoir. It is one of the old style ones and it has an internal resevoir covered by a metal cap with a rubber seal that is held on by a wire bail that snaps over it.

- William James

VinceD76

Yeah I saw that. All they carry is the rubber seal. I guess you're supposed to use your old reservoir in the new one. I have to go to the junkyard tommorrow to pick up the spindles I'll ask if they have one.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceD76
    Yeah I saw that. All they carry is the rubber seal. I guess you're supposed to use your old reservoir in the new one. I have to go to the junkyard tommorrow to pick up the spindles I'll ask if they have one.
    The resevoir is part of the master cylinder. It is a one piece casting.

It looks like this

The external reservoir masters look like this

- William James

84 mustang gt vert

88 turbo-coupe sold

VinceD76

Thanks for the picture. Wasn't sure what it looked like. Was thinking it was 2 pieces. Thanks. I'll go get it tommorrow.

I just installed SVO/Lincoln brakes on my car and used the SVO master. The fitting for the rear brake reservoir was SMALLER than the factory fitting. Since I had the SVO lines from the MC to PV, it wasn't an issue.

The SVO master (at least the one that I have) is aluminum instead of cast iron. The sucker is huge compared to the stock 85

if i were to buy an svo master cylinder and appropriate adapters would i have to change my proportioning valve? i have a turbo coupe rearend with the stock master cylinder and the pedal sucks.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

my 85 lincoln m/c was alum. too and extra large
    84 mustang gt vert

88 turbo-coupe sold

If you still have the stock PV, then I would say yes. You want to make sure that you have a PV for rear disc brakes... or you can gut the stock one and intstall an adjustable one.

LTDScott had tossed 11" disks on what is now my LTD LX when he owned it. The LTD LX's had also come with 10" drums in the rear, btw. I think he said he had used the SVO MC and the stock LTD LX PV that was in the car. The pedal is hard... but not that bad...and the car stops VERY well. I'd like my GT set up like the LTD LX.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

FEP Member

Since we are on the subject, would this MC work on my 86 with 03 Cobra rear discs? I'm working on the IRS swap and need to find a MC to use.

yellow351stang

when i put my 85 town car mc on i had to re run new lines cause of my line lock and make sure you may have to adjust the mc 1 1/2 turn out i forgot the first time oops

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty
    If you still have the stock PV, then I would say yes. You want to make sure that you have a PV for rear disc brakes... or you can gut the stock one and intstall an adjustable one.
    the adjustable one goes in where the connector is for the rear brake line on the pass. side of the firewall, correct?
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

I used the SVO unit and found that the brakes feel fine. The website I found explaining the conversion (don't remember the address) suggested adjusting the rod from the pedal. You will need an adaptor for the connection to the front resivoir if you are using the stock steel lines. You will also need to get the correct brake hoses. These changed from year to year on the SVO.
    1985 Capri - Work in progress
    1996 Cobra Mystic - bone stock

Quote Originally Posted by StangBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty
    the adjustable one goes in where the connector is for the rear brake line on the pass. side of the firewall, correct?
    Yes, that is correct. I'll post a pic after work if need be.

Rob.
    1985 GT 4V H.O. Work in progress, off and on, since December '87. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/606903/1

I am running Cobra 13" front brakes and Lincoln Mark VII rear discs. I was running an SVO master cylinder (SVO and Mark VII are the same. SVO is alum, Mark is iron). I always thought the pedal felt too hard, and I really couldn't lock up the brakes. It was kinda scary when I slammed on the brakes and it felt like the pedal was trying to push back.

I read on Matt's site about the Town Car m/c and it has the same bore size as the 93 Cobra master cylinder which everyone recommends.

So I spent $20 and bought one at Autozone and put it on the car. Brake feel was much improved, and I was able to lock up my brakes (rear first, but that's another issue).
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.