Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Code 94 left thermactor inoperative

What exactly is a left thermactor? I know the thermactor is the smog pump, and it has TAD and TAB solenoids, but beyond that I'm lost as to what a "left thermactor" is.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

Did you...

1. Fix the EGR malfunction.
    2. Clear the fault codes.
    3. Bring the vehicle to operating temp.
    4. Re-run the EEC's 'Quick Test'.

If not, do all of that FIRST.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    Did you...

1. Fix the EGR malfunction.
    2. Clear the fault codes.
    3. Bring the vehicle to operating temp.
    4. Re-run the EEC's 'Quick Test'.

If not, do all of that FIRST.
    I replaced the EGR actuator dohickey with a spare I had kicking around at the same time as I replaced the computer. While doing so I of course had the negative cable disconnected for like half an hour so any codes would no longer be present. Then I took the car for a spin and came home and made lunch. Now I'm going to run a few errands and stop by my friend's shop & check the codes with the Snap-On scanner. I will run both KOEO and KOER.

Oh wait, I did have the computer hooked up briefly when I ran the initial test, but I had to disconnect it when I actually installed it behind the kick panel. That was when I replaced the EGR dohickey. When I first swapped the computer I just had it laying on the passenger side floormat. Once I found it fixed the problem, it got installed properly.

So in short, I did 1,2, and 3 but I haven't gotten to 4 yet.

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

Oh, and please state during which part(s) of the Quick Test you received which code(s)....

KOEO, CM (Continuous Memory), and or ER (Engine Running)

Oh, and please state during which part(s) of the Quick Test you received which code(s)....

KOEO, CM (Continuous Memory), and or ER (Engine Running)
    Ok, with the 1988 DA1 ECM installed I now get

Continuous - No codes present

KOEO - No codes present

KOER - 94 and 13

According to the scan tool 94 is RIGHT secondary air inoperative, and 13 is idle above specifications. (it idles at 1000 rpm, not 650-750) I told the scan tool it was hooked up to a 1986 Mustang 5.0.

- William James

All my books say 94 = Secondary Air Injection system inoperative
    None specify it's the "right"
    (One says 44 is for the right side specifically)

I'd assume the whole system is out, not just 1/2

13 is the idle is Out Of Specs
    Specifically the idle is too high during the low idle check and RPMs cannot be controlled indicating a possible IAC motor malfunction
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

44 = Thermactor inoperative (right bank)
    94 = Thermactor inoperative (left bank)

The ECM knows it's left or right because of the left or right HEGO readings when the Thermactor system is supposed to be functioning correctly.

...my scanner says 94 is inoperative Thermactor bank 2
    2=left then eh...

44 = Thermactor inoperative (right bank)
    94 = Thermactor inoperative (left bank)

The ECM knows it's left or right because of the left or right HEGO readings when the Thermactor system is supposed to be functioning correctly.
    AHA!!!

That is exactly what I was wondering about. If the computer was imputing that something was wrong with the thermactor system due to O2 sensor readings. My O2s are brand new Bosch direct replacements so I'm sure the computer is getting proper readings from them.

So my thermactor plumbing is probably all carboned up and not working right. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by slickshift
    ...my scanner says 94 is inoperative Thermactor bank 2
    2=left then eh...
    So why did the Snap-On scanner say RIGHT? Very confusing.

So like, what is up with all that plumbing anyway? There is the one tube that goes down to the H-pipe and feeds air into the cats but that is downstream from the 02s. Then there is that pipe that bolts to the back of the cylinder heads and does something or other that I never really thought much about before. What's the dealio with that thing?

- William James

You're saying you need your pipes cleaned?

44=right=bank 1 ?
    94=left=bank 2 ?

You're saying you need your pipes cleaned?
    F'n A right I do, LOL.

So like, what is up with all that plumbing anyway? There is the one tube that goes down to the H-pipe and feeds air into the cats but that is downstream from the 02s. Then there is that pipe that bolts to the back of the cylinder heads and does something or other that I never really thought much about before. What's the dealio with that thing?

- William James

Quote Originally Posted by frankiesaysrelax
    Then there is that pipe that bolts to the back of the cylinder heads and does something or other that I never really thought much about before. What's the dealio with that thing?
    Depending on what the EEC wants it'll divert the air or bypass it (TAD and TAB)
    That's the Golden Book Of Smog Crap version anyway
    Sometimes it's better to pump it cat forward, sometimes cat rearward, sometimes just pump it out
    I've got a text on it here somewhere
    I'll scan it for you if I find it
    If you remember I had the code 94 also, before I ripped out the exhaust
    But I also had a KOEO 84 circut failure
    So I just figgered that's why mine was not functioning properly

The Thermactor system consists of:

Thermactor pump
    TAB solenoid and valve
    TAD solenoid and valve
    rubber and metal air lines
    vacuum lines
    one-way check valves
    (TAB = Thermactor Air Bypass, TAD = Thermactor Air Diverter)

The Thermactor pump ingests air and sends it to the TAB valve. Depending on engine operating conditions (operating temp., throttle position, EEC "mode", etc.), the TAB valve either dumps (bypasses) the air back to the atmosphere or sends it to the TAD valve. Depending on engine operating conditions, the TAD valve either diverts air to the cylinder heads (exhaust ports) or to the catalytic converters.

Then there is that pipe that bolts to the back of the cylinder heads and does something or other that I never really thought much about before. What's the dealio with that thing?
    Depending on what the EEC wants it'll divert the air or bypass it (TAD and TAB)
    That's the Golden Book Of Smog Crap version anyway
    Sometimes it's better to pump it cat forward, sometimes cat rearward, sometimes just pump it out
    I've got a text on it here somewhere
    I'll scan it for you if I find it
    If you remember I had the code 94 also, before I ripped out the exhaust
    But I also had a KOEO 84 circut failure
    So I just figgered that's why mine was not functioning properly
    Yeah, that would make sense.

Smog crap sucks.

So where do those holes in the back of the cylinder heads lead to? I assume the pump blows air into them and it somehow gets into the exhaust. Is there like some passage connecting those holes to each and every exhaust port?

- William James

So where do those holes in the back of the cylinder heads lead to? I assume the pump blows air into them and it somehow gets into the exhaust. Is there like some passage connecting those holes to each and every exhaust port?
    This page is about M-block heads, but I would assume the idea is the same.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250/parts/pics03.html

So those passages or the crossover pipe itself must be plugged. How do you clean something like that?

- William James

The Thermactor system consists of:

Thermactor pump
    TAB solenoid and valve
    TAD solenoid and valve
    rubber and metal air lines
    vacuum lines
    one-way check valves
    (TAB = Thermactor Air Bypass, TAD = Thermactor Air Diverter)

The Thermactor pump ingests air and sends it to the TAB valve. Depending on engine operating conditions (operating temp., throttle position, EEC "mode", etc.), the TAB valve either dumps (bypasses) the air back to the atmosphere or sends it to the TAD valve. Depending on engine operating conditions, the TAD valve either diverts air to the cylinder heads (exhaust ports) or to the catalytic converters.
    Ok, thanks Mick. I will have to pull the whole system apart one of these days and check it out. Sounds like something is carboned up and/or just worn out.

I would assume the TAD and TAB solenoids themselves work, as the computer did not incicate a problem with them. It would know if they weren't working when it does KOEO, right?

- William James

I would assume the TAD and TAB solenoids themselves work, as the computer did not incicate a problem with them. It would know if they weren't working when it does KOEO, right?
    Hrrmmm...I think so.

They are actuators, which the ECM should energize while doing the Self-Test. I'd have to check the Probst manual to be sure.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Solenoid circut failures should show up in the KOEO
    TAD=81 TAB=82

If the TAD is not diverting, or the TAB is not working, you would get a code 45 or 46 but only during the engine running test

Ok, so it sounds like I have to just pull the system apart and inspect/clean it. Hopefully anyway.

- William James

Not sure about the cleaning
    Never had to dive into one
    We haven't had an operational emmissions program in over 7 years
    Back then it was just a sniffer
    As long as the CEL wasn't on when they hooked it up you were fine
    ...I mean, if your tailpipe was clean
    They didn't check for any stored codes like the new program does
    ...hell they didn't check for any cats like the new program does
    (proving multiple times that a properly tuned 5.0 runs clean enough to pass a snif test w/o cats)
    So I never had to fix any Thermactor codes...until now
    I just had to make sure the tailpipe was clean

That's one of the reasons the GT is off the road right now
    It hadn't occured to me to clean out the tubes, so I haven't
    ...let me know what you find

Ok, I took off the Thermactor crossover pipe and BINGO, it was almost totally clogged. Hardly any air was getting to the left bank. I ran a brass brazing rod through it from both ends and blew it out with compressed air. Lots of carbonized crap came out. Then I decided to put the pipe in a vise and heat it to burn off the rest of the goo and make it nice and crumbly. It made a lot of smoke and flames when the flammable vapors caught fire. Actually it was pretty darn cool. Once I had heated the pipe from end to end and it was no longer smoking, I grabbed it with the jaws of a big wrench, tossed it on the driveway, and sprayed it with a hose. Then I hosed it out inside and blew out more carbon. After that, back to compressed air, then another rodding out with the brazing rod and a final compressed air blast.

Now I'm going to eat lunch and then reinstall the pipe.

I'd like to clean out the passages in the head, but I just don't see that happening without removing them.

- William James

Sounds like fun
    Now I'll have to try it

Sounds like fun
    Now I'll have to try it
    Yeah, go for it.

I reinstalled the pipe and then played with the idle screw a bit, trying to get rid of that stupid code 13. I noticed that if I backed it out all the way it really made no difference, but if I turned it in instead of raising the idle it would suddenly start surging up and down from 500 to 1500 rpm. I said OK, I bet the TPS is going over 1.00v due to some previous dumbass ricer TPS "mod". Evidence of this being holes pierced in the insulation of all three wires in multiple places. I loosened the screws, the TPS snapped back a bit, and I retightened them. Oooh lookie, I can adjust the idle now. (ISC disconnected of course) I then reset the idle to 750 rpm hot, went for a test drive, and it seems to be running great. I now have a nice stable 750 rpm idle too. Let's hope it stays that way.

- William James

I felt for sure your IAC was pooched
    Just shows to go ya
    Them diagnostic codes can give you a hint but they don't tell you whats broke
    You didn't get a TPS OOSpec code, and that was OOSpec for sure, prolly not "enough" for the ECU to spit up a trouble code

Enjoy your idle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast