Close

FEP Member

Default What is an original Boss 302 Ford engine worth?

A little background: A friend of mine has an old boat, don't remember the make, but it originally came equipped with a 260 Ford engine. The original owner of the boat, either a friend or relative of my friend, was unhappy with the performance of the boat with the 260 so, as luck would have it he had a friend who totalled his '70 Boss 302 mustang. They proceeded to yank the Boss motor and swapped it into the boat after getting a custom, reverse ground cam installed. Now my friend wants to get rid of this motor but is clueless as to its value. He says it will fire with just a bump of the key!! How much do you folks feel this motor is worth?

Thanks
    1982 Mustang GT, one owner, purchased 7-25-04. Bone stock, 16.55@82 w/2.3 60', 48 hours after purchasing. Regretfully sold

I would love to have that engine, not sure what its worth though, if its in the right price range I'll buy it off him.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

FEP Member

I'm getting proposed values of anywhere from 1500.00 to 5000.00. He only paid 1700.00 for the boat. Sounds like he'll have no problem recouping his money.

Tell him to ebay it for $1 with lots of pictures and a good description and don't look back.

Kaching!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    Tell him to ebay it for $1 with lots of pictures and a good description and don't look back.

Kaching!

-Mike
    just make sure to show any and all proof that it is in fact a boss 302 block

even if it meads taking the oil pan off and showing the 4bolt mains (i think it had 4bolt mains)

Dugzy33

How about just a few pics showing the screw in freeze plugs and the gigantic port heads!

Removing the engine from the boat and selling seperately on e-bay would bring the most traffic profit.

Finding the VIN# and all the casting numbers on the block, and getting a little history dug up on it would be the icing on the cake.

I'd guess $2000- $3000 complete. Also depending on a lot of other original parts that hopefiully are on the engine. Carb, distributor, manifods. Boss blocks arent too too difficult to find, but an engine thats all complete and original is something else. I'm sure any purist is going to have it rebuilt anyway.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Well this "could" be a real gold mine. Considering that these cars are real hot in the market right now and prime "numbers matching" examples bring upwards of 60 grand you might end up scoreing big. Elroy would suggest that you first determine if in fact this motor came from a car. I know you said it came from a "totaled" vehicle but do you know this for a fact. At the top of the block on the back side just above the flywheel on the drivers side in a flat pad. This pad is just behind the intake manifold and will have the VIN number of the car it came from IF it came from a car. Service blocks were very common as these motors had a bad habbit of breaking the piston skirts off. Don't ask Elroy how he knows this.

If there is a VIN number then you know it came from a car. Contact Randy Ream at the Boss 302 Registry and he would be happy to tell you if this car has been registered. If you hit pay dirt and this car is still around Elroy would bet premium dollars the current owner would be interested in it.

The Boss web site even has a "for sale" section and there are lots o guys looking for good boat anchor Boss motors.

If this motor is still "standard" bore then your even better off. In running condition your looking at $5 to $ 7 grand MINIMUM. Now if you still have the dual point distributor and the other items as pointed out above even better. The bottom line is you got to find someone who wants that 16 cylinder 1932 Caddy motor. You wont have too much trouble, Trust Elroy on this one. I have had several of these cars and today they are truly a high doller car!

O ho! Looks like I got somebody hot under the collar. Calm down there Elroy. What I said was more of a suggestion than anything else. From my personal experience, folks who tend to refer to themselves in the third person are generally assholes, and full of themselves. Am I infering those characteristics upon you? Nope. I'm merely pointing out that refering to yourself in the third person is not a wise thing to do. Take that as you will.

As for the original poster's request, I might as well add something, considering that I have made a slight ruckus in here.

Look for the following items, these are tell-tale signs that it is a BOSS 302:

4-bolt main caps. The two end caps were standard 2-bolt, the inner three were 4.

Screw-in freeze plugs.

If there is a VIN on the block, denoting that it did indeed come from a car, that VIN should have a G in the fifth digit.

There should be 8 bolts securing the valvecovers to the heads. This is a Cleveland-specific thing, as the BOSS 302 used 4V 351C heads on a 302 shortblock (same family as the 351W, as you no doubt know). It therefore comes with a different intake manifold, and different exhaust manifolds.

The BOSS 302 came with a 715cfm 4bbl Holley carburetor.

If you want to know more, I suggest you talk to the folks over at www.boss302.com , as they know their BOSSes far better than I do.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

Blog Entries

I've cleaned up this festering mess, and I expect to NOT have to come back in here and do it again.

Whatever's gone, leave it be, or take it to PM, email, the middle of the street, I don't care, just do not bring it back here.

Quote Originally Posted by MurPHy

If there is a VIN on the block, denoting that it did indeed come from a car, that VIN should have a G in the fifth digit.
    I dont believe the whole VIN number to be stamped. Just the unit number.

Service blocks are cool without the VIN , so you can stamp your own, but I have not seen one with an older castign date then D1.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

You guys need to quit jumping Elroy. He usually has very good input to add. I personly get a kick out of the third person thing.

Thats all.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

FEP Member

Default Update:

The following original parts are not with the motor:

Intake
    Carb
    Distributor
    Exh. manifolds

So you've basically got an original longblock. Any guesstimates as to the value now?