Close

Default 1986+ headers on a 1985 GT?

I have been poking around the forums looking for answers without having to post but my efforts have failed. I was basically wondering if the heat risers on the headers for an 85 mustang GT 5.0 are manditory for anything. I'm sure they are for emmissions and all that crap but the car is 20 years old and here in Mass, once it gets that old emmisions are no longer tested. Would it pose any problems if they are not present? If they are not needed and will not pose problems then is it ok to get headers for a 1986+ 5.0? I mostly see headers available for the 86+ mustangs and was wondering if I were to get some would I be able to bolt them on with no problem. Also are the heads of a stock 1985 5.0 the same as the 1986+? If so then that would prove that they will bolt on no problem.

I will have to post pics of my car for you guys to check out. I love 4 eyed Mustangs! Thanks.
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 4v HO Light Regatta Blue - SOLD

Southern_Pride

I ran 86up headers on my 83 capri. Course i had a 88 roller block too. The should work no problem. I think the heat riser are just for cold days

no worries man. they will bolt in directly. it is a very common mod amongst '85-down owners to update to '86-up exhaust. i am one of them
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Good good...thats what I was hoping and what I thought. It makes it so much easier to upgrade the whole exhaust system at once than to do it in peices. And since I will be doing the 86+ exhaust swap (hopefully) I would like to go with new headers as well. Any suggestions for s decent setup and tips on the install. I know about the double hump x-member and welding it into place and have one sitting right next to me. Any other problems you have all had or is it pretty straight forward. I working on a (mostly, new paint and stupid emblems that are not supposed to be there) virgin car so I dont think I should catch too many snags on the way. Thanks for the info.

Your winter warm up time will be longer w/o it
    But it's not a real big deal
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

Why are you saying you'd need to weld the crossmember in place? Mine just bolted straight in.

The only way to go for tips are Stainless. If you dont want the whole Flowmaster kit, Summit Racing sells just the tips if you ask for them. You'll just need some hookups to mate whatever mufflers you buy to the back of the H-pipe. Chrome and plain steel tips will only look crappy in year or so.

I reccomend a BBK H-pipe. There are cheaper ones out there but they dont have very good fit and finish. X-pipes are a makor PITA to fit and from a seat of the pants feel there was no difference in my buddys 85 vs his H-pipe. It just sounds quieter (and took is about 3 hours to install).

For shorty headers FMS is the best, but being stainless steel they are more pricy than most but will last forever. MAC's are the cheapest and I've had good luck with them, but many would steer you away from them because of their inconsistant quality control. BBK is probably the best value right now.

Now if you want to go all out, Bassani is the best. All stainless, fabulous fit and finish, all adding up to a hefty price tag though.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Some people have been telling me to tack weld the cross member in place to stop movement of the tranny...i dont know if this is true but i thought the bolts would be just fine as well. I know the bassani stuff is nice but a bit pricy. I will have to look into the FMS headers and I like BBK's stuff. I have some Mac stuff on my 1998 and althought it was inexpensive and an allright product all around, their stuff lasts a maximum of about 3 years in this area, you know with the road salt and all durring the winters. I am going to be smarter this time and go for quality (i.e. not MAC) over price. Thanks for your input.

I'm not to worried about winter warmup time cause my daily driver will take the brunt of the winter driving. As long as it wont cause any harm, which i knew it wouldnt I will be all set. Thanks again for your input guys.

I put '85 headers on my '82 just specifically to have the heat risers to hook up to the dual snorkel air cleaner. The Summit H-pipe bolts right up to the '85 headers no problem at all, as long as you retain your heat riser valve. From there back we used the MAC exhaust that came on my '86 GT parts car. It fit perfect, looked sweet, and sounded awesome.

BTW the '85 headers already have 2.5" collectors stock. '86-'93 stockers are only 2.25".

You don't HAVE to change your headers to upgrade the rest of your exhaust. However, if you choose to run '86-'93 5.0 headers, they should fit just fine.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

FEP Senior Member

The 85GT heads are alot similar to the E7's 87-95 5.0 Stang heads. The 86GT heads are completely differant than the heads above.
    1986GT C9 351W. T-3550
    Inner & Outer subs
    Griggs GR40 Suspension
    Panhard bar & Torque arm. Tub Kmember and A-arms.

1982GT w/rear wiper

http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/82...d/MVC-558S.JPG
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike82gt/MVC-001F.JPG

Travis T

You must be talking about the Ford Motorsport adjustable crossmember, it does require welding. Most Mustang parts houses sell a regular 86-93 crossmember, and it is welded and about $20 cheaper. I used 87 headers on my 84, and I used a Walker Dynomax catted H-pipe ($250, and fit perfect), and a Dynomax Super Turbo cat back, and I've been very happy with the whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT
    For shorty headers FMS is the best, but being stainless steel they are more pricy than most but will last forever. MAC's are the cheapest and I've had good luck with them, but many would steer you away from them because of their inconsistant quality control. BBK is probably the best value right now.
    FMS headers are good... for their price. The Best shorty headers out there are JBA's... but they are expencive.

Dynomax has a great CatBack system you can get... with the stainless steel tips. My 85 was converted over to true duals by the previous owner. He used stock 86+ headers and the stock 86+ H-pipe. I have a pair of JBA headers I found used and will buy a 2 1/2" h-pipe to mate up with my 2 1/2" cat back system that's on there.

Good luck
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

Quote Originally Posted by frankiesaysrelax
    I put '85 headers on my '82 just specifically to have the heat risers to hook up to the dual snorkel air cleaner. The Summit H-pipe bolts right up to the '85 headers no problem at all, as long as you retain your heat riser valve. From there back we used the MAC exhaust that came on my '86 GT parts car. It fit perfect, looked sweet, and sounded awesome.

BTW the '85 headers already have 2.5" collectors stock. '86-'93 stockers are only 2.25".

You don't HAVE to change your headers to upgrade the rest of your exhaust. However, if you choose to run '86-'93 5.0 headers, they should fit just fine.
    You bolted a Summit H-pipe to 85 headers and had no troubles?? We tried to put a stock catted H-pipe on an 85 and it wouldn't fit. The bend of the headers was different.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner
    You bolted a Summit H-pipe to 85 headers and had no troubles?? We tried to put a stock catted H-pipe on an 85 and it wouldn't fit. The bend of the headers was different.
    Yup, the Summit one bolted right on no problem. You need to keep that heat riser valve on the driver's side header to make it fit, you can't bolt it directly to the header itself as the header has no ball flange and will be too short without the heat riser valve.

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

FEP Member

whoa whoa whoa. I just became a member after reading that you bolted up a summit h-pipe to the 85 headers. Are you 1000% sure that they will fit because I will buy a summit h-pipe for my 85 now that I have heard this. Do you have any pics or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by dean85gt
    whoa whoa whoa. I just became a member after reading that you bolted up a summit h-pipe to the 85 headers. Are you 1000% sure that they will fit because I will buy a summit h-pipe for my 85 now that I have heard this. Do you have any pics or anything?
    I can get them if you want. The car is my former '82 GT, now owned by a friend of mine. They bolt right up. We put the '85 specific headers on the car because they are the only ones with the heat stoves for the dual snorkel air cleaner. They are the original headers from my '85 GT convertible. Both cars have 302 HO engines and manual transmissions.

NOTE: You MUST retain the heat riser valve for the H-pipe to fit.

- William James

I was able to fit a Mac H-pipe up to my stock '85 headers. I also retained the heat riser valve. Yes, the FMS (or FRPP) crossmember bolts to the stock mounts and is adjustable fore and aft (to fit a variety of transmissions I suspect) so, once you figure out where it belongs then, you weld it in place. Converting to true dual exhaust is really easy on the '85 thanks to all that is available from the aftermarket manufacturers.
    1985 Mustang GT, owned since 1989
    2000 Expedition XLT 219k miles
    2011 Expedition XLT

FEP Member

There are 2 issues with the 85 headers.

1. They have the heat riser valve on them to force the hot air up throught the intake and thru the one pre cat on the passenger side. This serves two purposes. It heats the intake up quicker and forces all the exhaust gasses thru the pre cat for cold engine emissions.

2. The heat ovens on the 85 headers work in conjunctio with the warm air intake flappers on the snorkles of the air cleaner. The allowes the car to get warm air in cold climates to keep the carberator from icing up.

Neither of these should be an issue unless you drive the car in cold weather. However, technically neither of the systems can be legally disabled, the only question is how picky the person is doing the inspection of your car.

The missing heat riser valve will probably go unoticed unless you have a very knowledgable person doing your inspection. I would recommend that you keep the stock air cleaner and install the warm air tubes on it and just let them hang in the general area of the headers.

I have had a car fail visual inspection before because I did not have the warm air tubing installed on the aircleaner.

Steve
    1983 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by mikejb
    The 85GT heads are alot similar to the E7's 87-95 5.0 Stang heads. The 86GT heads are completely differant than the heads above.
    Yes and no. They all have the same external dimensions and will physically interchange. The difference is in the combustion chambers and maybe runner/port design. The E6 '86 heads have "High Swirl Combustion Chambers", which were supposed to promote more complete combustion and cleaner emissions. Unfortunately all they do shroud the valves badly and choke off performance. Quality is Job 1!

- William James