Close

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Default Need your opinions on stereo installation!

Hey everyone. Yesterday was my birthday and my wife/daughters surprised me with a new DIN sized CD player/receiver and two 6x8" speakers for my Fox. I installed and hooked up the speakers to wire that I previously had laid down while reinstalling the interior (I'm leaving all factory wiring intact without cutting it.) I'm now faced with a dilemma. I need to mount the CD player but can't find a decent place to mount it. AGGGGGGH!

I'm not wanting to cut the dash, as it's never been cut before and I still have the working factory AM/FM stereo installed there. I don't mind changing the speakers because you can't see them (I'll also be installing new speakers in the dash) but I'm at a loss as to where to mount the head unit. Does anyone have any ideas? Let me hear 'em!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

The dark side of the sun but when not there Bridgeton, NJ

I've got a couple suggestions and they aren't all that good. Build a box for the headunit and mount it under the passenger seat. Or mount it under the passenger side dash. Or you can just break down and cut the dash and cover it over with a 3/4 inch din sized trim ring. That's what I did with my 79 when I installed my Clarion DXZ725.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    I wasnt masturbating. I was cleaning it and it went off.
    WARNING
    Horsepower is addictive
    10-hole mafia and wannabe post whore

Yeah, make a box to put it under the front seat. Then get good at running it blind. It can be done

Radios didn't have a place in a Mustang until 94+ when Ford woke up and started designing it into the car instead of making it an afterthought.

Or, see if radio shake has a box big enough for it and mount it under the dash on the passenger side.

-Mike

How about mounting it where the "command center" or whatever it is called goes on the console. That mod would be reversible.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

too bad the airbox is in the way, I've always thought it would be neat to hinge that panel on the dr side that sits there and does nothing and have the stereo in there.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    Yeah, make a box to put it under the front seat. Then get good at running it blind. It can be done
    I thought thats how you're supposed to use the radio anyway if you want to avoid wrecking

Too bad she didn't suprise you with a "purchase request". Could've got the nice Secret Audio kit.

If you know anyone or are crafty yourself with electronics. People in the car audio world have modified their decks to have the CD player's face remote mount and the actual body of the deck mounted elsewhere. For ones with detacable faces of course.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Yeah, it's bumming me out. I wanted to mount it right inside the glovebox but the air box sticks out too far. I wouldn't be able to close the door. As for the command center, I've got my guages mounted there so I couldn't do that. I guess it's under the seat or cut the dash.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra
    Yeah, it's bumming me out. I wanted to mount it right inside the glovebox but the air box sticks out too far. I wouldn't be able to close the door. As for the command center, I've got my guages mounted there so I couldn't do that. I guess it's under the seat or cut the dash.
    Move the gauges up into the blank panel above the glovebox and put the radio in the command center.

Or remount the gauges on the A-pillar.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

I went through this a while back, trying to install my old Pioneer 6-disc CD changer into my car. I had loads of room in my EXP but there was no practical place to put it in the GT without drilling holes in akward places.

The best thing you can do is to sell/exchange the new CD player you have and buy a stand alone CD changer that will play through your present stereo. They work by either plugging into your antenna wire and having you tune into a freq like 87.5; or they have an R/F modulator and transmits that freq and is picked up by the antenna and effectively does the same thing. Its the only real way to get a CD player going without getting goofy with receicer placement. Then you can install the changer under a seat or in the hatch and have it complately hidden.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Travis T

Don't cut the dash, good ones are getting harder to find. If you want it in the dash, find a dash from an 85-86 Mustang, it will already have the DIN style mounting. Almost every 79-84 dash you find will be cut out or broken out around the radio.

agbulit

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT
    I went through this a while back, trying to install my old Pioneer 6-disc CD changer into my car. I had loads of room in my EXP but there was no practical place to put it in the GT without drilling holes in akward places.

The best thing you can do is to sell/exchange the new CD player you have and buy a stand alone CD changer that will play through your present stereo. They work by either plugging into your antenna wire and having you tune into a freq like 87.5; or they have an R/F modulator and transmits that freq and is picked up by the antenna and effectively does the same thing. Its the only real way to get a CD player going without getting goofy with receicer placement. Then you can install the changer under a seat or in the hatch and have it complately hidden.

You can mount the head unit under the seat, and then remotely mount the faceplate in the visor, on the console, wherever you want. Looks impressive, but is a pain in the ass to set up and install. It also doesn't function as well as it could.

I'll second the opinion that you should return the head unit and get a CD changer with the modulator. Runs through the factory deck, and everything looks stock. I might suggest running an external anplifier to power those aftermarket speakers. The factory deck won't have enough power to make the speaker swap worth your while.

I'll second the opinion that you should return the head unit and get a CD changer with the modulator. Runs through the factory deck, and everything looks stock. I might suggest running an external anplifier to power those aftermarket speakers. The factory deck won't have enough power to make the speaker swap worth your while.
    I am actually looking to change my AM/FM/Cassette and get a cd player in it. I am fine with the two sets of speakers, already have new ones ready to put in. I was gonna cut the dash to fit it in, but am thinking maybe not to now. My 81 stang is pretty much all stock, so maybe it wouldnt be good to cut it... So how exactly does a cd modulator work through the factory deck, and how do you hook it all up. IE. would the average person be able to install it, or would you have to have it installed? Also, can you find them at normal stores like Best Buy? I was in there today, but I can't remember if I saw any in there.
    1981 Ghia Hatchback. 3.3L - 3 Sped Automatic (Sold and missed dearly)

1992 Dodge Shadow ES 3.0L - 4 speed automatic (Having issues and locked in the garage)

2004 Saturn Ion3 Quad Coupe 2.2L - 5 speed manual - New daily driver

http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/4_FM_Modulators

The FM Modulator concept works by connecting the CD changer wiring in-line with the aerial connection at the back of your radio. You then tune the CD into a pre-determined radio frequency and this is where CD sound is played.

The sound quality of a direct connection (a CD changer directly connected to the radio) is slightly better than that of an FM Modulator CD changer. However, unlike an FM radio station, an FM modulator changer signal is interference-free, because it's wired directly to the aerial. For this reason, you can be sure it will sound as good as the clearest FM radio station.
    There are usually two frequencies used: 88.7 or 89.1 MHz.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

The newer stuff has multiple freqs. I have one that is pretty much any station from 88.7 to 105 I think.
    No matter where you go, there you are

mine didn't have a stereo in it at all when i got it, and then i had a road gear cd player just setting in it. i need someone to see if my stereo hole has been cut or broken. the little wooden frame thing broke and fell out a long time ago.
    I love my car
    1981 mustang hatchback

get a remote for the head unit and then throw it under the seat.
    Units with remotes are pretty common these days. Even if they don't come with one you can buy em separately.