Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Illegal" 84 Capri GS with 5.0 and T5

Quote Originally Posted by Razzorr
    I got them in 92 about 2 months after I got the car. The car was medium blue with black and chrome trim. My wife at the time put me up to putting on ground effects it did make it look better (Note she did not get the car after we divorced). I would like to replace the front airdam with the one the factory had mine did not have one at all. My second wife will not drive it (LOL good) she has a 2003 Ford Escape.
    OK....so if I read your post right,

You have an 84 5.0 Capri....that did NOT come from the factory with an air dam (as far as you know)? Is your car an automatic? Did it come with sport seats (halo headrests)?

-Mike

Sorry I did not see you reply or I would have answered sooner.
    No it did not have a air dam at all it is a GS without having the GS on it anywhere. The air dam on it came from JCWhitney back in 92 I put it on. It is a 5 speed the only way I like it (had a 91 5.0 auto did not like it). No halo headrests I wish it did it has the as I call them cheap seats LOL. No power windows or locks. No cruise. Just air and rear defogger. Less things to go wrong I guess. It has the Quad shock rear with what I have found to have 85 suspension parts (ball joints are 85). It is a late 84 that has a lot of 85 parts.
    The good old mid 80's with the this part looks good put it on. I also have a 84 Bronco same trouble some parts listed as 84 some 85. Ford must have ran out of 84 parts and started putting on 85 parts.

Did you buy the car new? It sounds like the front bumper cover was replaced at some point....and the car would be an RS not a GS.

Do you have a hood scoop?

Can you get the codes off your buck tag (radiator support) and off from your door tag?

Sounds like maybe there is something to uncover here.

-Mike

I am the second owner. No hood scoop I put the one that is on it now. The scoop is from a wrecked car the hood was damaged bad. I cut a hole in my hood so it would clear the air cleaner after I put the Edelbrock RPM air-gap with a 1 inch spacer on it. Note there looked to be minor front damage to the bumper and grille like a 5-10mph bump. The car was Medium Blue with black and crome trim. I have seen a car just like it on here but can not find it right now.

Buck tag. No GS or RS on the tag.
    Capri
    616356 610 M 0277
    35 DF ST
    AC 06 HB
    MBW 02
    B 06 2 X 1

I am the second owner. No hood scoop I put the one that is on it now. The scoop is from a wrecked car the hood was damaged bad. I cut a hole in my hood so it would clear the air cleaner after I put the Edelbrock RPM air-gap with a 1 inch spacer on it. Note there looked to be minor front damage to the bumper and grille like a 5-10mph bump. The car was Medium Blue with black and crome trim. I have seen a car just like it on here but can not find it right now.

Capri
    616356 610 M 0277
    35 DF ST
    AC 06 HB
    MBW 02
    B 06 2 X 1
    Excellent...do you have the door tag info? That would clinch things.

-Mike

Well there is a story to that. The short one it was Blue I had it panted White told them to cover the door tag they took it off and destroyed it by doing that.............. I was not happy. I remember it was built in Feb of 84 and I did write down most of the info but that was in 92 and I can not find it. Darn it.

Capri
    616356 610 M 0277
    35 DF ST
    AC 06 HB
    MBW 02
    B 06 2 X 1

616356 = CUN from VIn
    61D = Body Style (not 610) at least I think 61D if I remember right
    M = 5.0
    0277 = ?? Maybe paint shop rotation code.
    35 = Light Academy Blue Metallic
    DF = Black Door Frames
    ST = Steel Bumper
    AC = AC
    06 = Power Windows?
    HB = Heated BAck (rear defrost)
    MBW = Borg Warner 5speed
    02 = Hood Type? = ??
    B 06 2 x 1 = ??

OK...interesting a 1984 5.0 with 5 speed. No CRS...so it looks like its a GS car...definitely with that exterior color its a GS. So no air dam....and I thought no sport seats and no 5 speed...but I have to check my books.

-Mike

It is a 5-speed no power windows.

Well there is a story to that. The short one it was Blue I had it panted White told them to cover the door tag they took it off and destroyed it by doing that.............. I was not happy. I remember it was built in Feb of 84 and I did write down most of the info but that was in 92 and I can not find it. Darn it.
    Drat...look for it harder if you can...

Crazy:
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...ctsBook_11.jpg

The 5.0 with 4v and 5 speed manual tranny in 1984 was ONLY to be available on the RS....this carried over into 85/86. The 5.0 on the GS was ONLY supposed to get the automatic transmission.

And as a GS...the car should not have had a front air dam...or hood scoop which it does not.

The Sport seats were a GS option in 1984.

I would LOVE to see the door tag. A few things may have been there.

The tranny is a head scratcher.

-Mike

Build sheet help?

Build sheet help?
    YES!

K I will get one of them. One was under the rear back panel I have it with some paperwork I should be able to find soon. If not I will get the info off the one under the drivers seat carpet. I left it alone. I will post it tomorrow or ask what to look for.

Build Sheet

Build Sheet
    Can I get a bigger scan?

Send it to:
    negusm@gmail.com is you can't host it anywhere.

-Mike

Only a couple of things I have noticed:

FB = Low Back Academy Blue Seats. Your car's seats were swapped at some point.
    BQ = Light Academy Blue Tape Stripes
    Tranny = E4ZR DA

I don't know what tranny that decodes to. I need to get some build sheets and start compiling options.

Do you have:
    A Console?
    Mirrored Sun Visors?
    Remote Rear Hatch Release?
    The T5 hump on the transmission tunnel?
    Do you have cruise control?

-Mike

E3ZR A = "standard" (non-World Class) '83½ V8 T-5 w/ 0.725:1 5th gear ratio
    E4ZR DA = "standard" (non-World Class) '84-early '85¹ V8 T-5 w/ 0.625:1 5th gear ratio

¹The E4ZR DA T-5 was fitted to early '85 models, before the "World Class" T-5 was available.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

So the tranny checks out...which means this car is a bit odd if I have all my facts straight.

An 84 GS 5.0 car with a 5 speed its not supposed to have.

-Mike

Default 84 rs

I have the very same kind of 84 RS and this is the first I have heard of anybody else having one. I am the original owner of the car mine came with t-tops power steering 5.0 4brl 5 speed quad shock rear end. Was told the drive train and suspention is the same as 85. Mine did come with the air dam and beleave it or not a RS turbo sticker on the back.

Default Re: 84 rs

Quote Originally Posted by black84rs
    I have the very same kind of 84 RS and this is the first I have heard of anybody else having one. I am the original owner of the car mine came with t-tops power steering 5.0 4brl 5 speed quad shock rear end. Was told the drive train and suspention is the same as 85. Mine did come with the air dam and beleave it or not a RS turbo sticker on the back.
    The 5.0 in your car is not the same as the 85s. You have a flat tappet cam and exhaust manifolds. The 85 is a roller engine with headers.

Most everything else is the same as 85 however.

The turbo sticker is bizarre. What color is your car?

-Mike

Black red int. had the red and orange stripes and stickers. Silver bottom

Black red int. had the red and orange stripes and stickers. Silver bottom
    Yeah, the sticker must have been a factory goof then. Got pics?

-Mike

Yes from when i was showing it in the early 90's been setting for the last 6 yrs or so. I don't have them on this computer I am at work just joined this morning how would i load them so i can do it tonight or in the morning

I don't have them on this computer. I am at work. Just joined this morning. How would I load them, so I can do it tonight or in the morning?
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=19240
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast