Close

Default physical differences between 302 and 351W

say i find a 351W to build. is there any tell-tale signs that differentiate a 351W from a 302?

i want to build a second engine for my GT
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Wider intake.. and taller deck height..

note the spacing between the timing cover and the deck on the block.
    Also the base of the dist is not level with the top of the block on a 351 like it is on a 302.

William's Law--
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

302 = 8.2?
    351 = 9.5?
    or is that 9.5 the Tall deck block...I don't remember anymore.

Also you can see in those pictures the distance from the top of the water pump to the valve of the engine block is larger. Something to look out for when "shopping".
    No matter where you go, there you are

302 = 8.2" deck height.

351W = 9.5" deck height ('69/'70 was .020" shorter)

Ford Racing sold/sells 351W blocks with a 9.2" deck height, which is the 351C's deck height. I think that idea dates back to when certain racing classes put the maximum deck height at 9.2". So a 9.2" 351W has the strengths of a Windosr family block but allows more cubic inches than a 302, and still complies with deck height rules.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Robert, the average idiot will look under your hood and not know much of a difference. However the 351 will be taller(closer to the hood). I know someone who has a red 82 GT with a 351 and I can tell it's not a 302. He frequents the SoCal car shows.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

FEP Senior Member

the easiest way i use to tell which is which is the width of the intake from head to head
    84 GT, 357W, Alum Radiator, 2.02/1.60 Windsor Sr.'s, 600 DP, RPM Air-Gap, CC 270H, 1.6 RR, Streetdampr, T-5, K-C Clutch, Short Throw Shifter, Triple Pickup Quadrant, Firewall Adjuster, BBK shorty's, 8.8, 3.73's, O/R H-Pipe, DynoMax Cat-back, Alum Driveshaft. AFR Monitor, and a couple Auto Meters