Close

Default windsheild washer resevoirs(yes another thread on them)

I was just readin a thread on teh different windsheild washer resevoirs and cool over flow resevoirs. My cr beign an 84 has them combined. This is all fine and dandy but I want to get a nice aluminum cylnader shaped overflow in car. It takes up less room and helps clean up the engine bay a bit. So I would liek to see pics of everyone elses windsheild washer resevoirs that are not the duel set up. I want to see the size hwo they mount and if yu can get a pic of teh connections to it so I can compair the two that would be great.

mark
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

the newer style washer resevoir goes inside the
    drivers fender and the cap sticks out through
    the hole for the cold air duct. plug will have
    to be modified and hose lengthened a bit.
    as far as overflows go you can get a newer
    style shroud w/the overflow bottle attached
    or the stand alone fender mount overflow
    (85-86 i think) or as you mentioned the
    aftermarket style overflow. pics of my
    85 in personal album.
    78 Bronco 400 *RIP*
    85 Capri 2.3 5spd
    99 Sable 3.0 wifes ride
    95 Volkswagon GolfIII
    and of course my baby,
    86 CAPRI 92 302 /SROD

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

I agree with roughbutfun. Go to the local junkyard(s) Mark & look at the later model 87-93's(for sure). You can convert the washer to a late model design dirt cheap & add in the spun aluminum cylindrical type coolant overflow from Summit racing.
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I did the swap when I installed my V-8. I used the '87-'93 style of fan shroud, overflow bottle, windshield washer resevior and serpentine belt setup. This changeover allowed me to mount my MSD box on the fenderwell where the original overflow/windshield washer resevior resided. Here's a pic.

Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple
    I agree with roughbutfun. Go to the local junkyard(s) Mark & look at the later model 87-93's(for sure). You can convert the washer to a late model design dirt cheap & add in the spun aluminum cylindrical type coolant overflow from Summit racing.

problem is he said it goes throgh where the cold air would go through. Well on my car is it now ehre the could air intake "would" go through, it is where it "does" go through. I think i will have to find something from another car.
    84 Mustang GT, 91 roller motor,Gt40 heads, vic jr intake, quickfuel 650 carb, MSD ignition, TFS stage 1 cam, 3.73gears in 8.8, rear disc conversion, some nitrous.

look at teh pic above hissing posted, where hsi bottle sticks out isd where my cold air intake for my duel snorkle goes. I think I am out of luck as for using a mustang specific washer bottle and will have to go with something else. Ot non at all since mine isn't working right now. But I do know what is wrong and how to fix it I just need to get to doing it. I want something small and out of the way. i don't care if it holds a lot of fluid I havnt; used the thing in over a year anyway. I will come up with something in teh next few weeks while perusing teh yards around here and show you guys what I come up with. Maybee someoen else will be able to use the info once I figure it out.

hissingf I se the ac comressor but no lines hooked up. Are you deletign or adding a/c?

I have an extra ac compressor here and I am thinking of deleting the ac. I am thinking of cutting up my a/c compressor and using the front half for a idler pully so to speak. Well i started thinkign this way today. I was gonan sell it but it cost more to ship it than it is worth. I figured I could use the front 1/4 of teh thing as an idler pully and be ok then still be able to short belt it at teh track for the extra ponies.

I just hijacked my own thread. That is massive highjacking lol.

Good eye! I'm keeping the A/C. I just need to have someone fabricate some custom lines because I've kept the original A/C box on the firewall but installed the '86 style pump so that I could use the serpentine belt. The original factory hoses won't work as the fittings are different.

I've been to two shops already and neither one of them want to fabricate lines. Where I live, there's not too many people who can do things like that (I guess.) I'm still searching for someone. Can anyone help in the Massachusetts area?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

find a place that makes hydrolic lines and see if they will make them for you.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Look closely & you will see the small Goe Metro coolant reservior I snuck in between the front of the driver's side of the motor & frame rail. It's about a quart capacity. These Geo's also have a dinky windshield washer reservior. Both reserviors can easily fit behind a bumper cover right in front of the radiator support. Paint them black & they will dissappear :hint: :hint:

http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...hp?pic_id=4525
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Hissing Cobra
    Couldnt you install a later 83-93 style evaporator and then just use standard EFI style AC lines? One would go around the back and the other across the front where the heater core lines go.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Is the evaporator the bottle that's mounted on the firewall (mine is a box)? If so, I can't use that setup as the hole in my firewall is vastly different from my brother's '85 GT (his uses all of the EFI hardware.) At least I don't think that I can use that style?

I will be using an EFI condenser in front of the radiator and then I'll be able to use a factory line from the pump to the condenser. However, it's the other two lines that I'll need to have made (box to condenser, box to pump.)

As for the hydraulic hoses, I've tried a place for them too. That guy didn't want to touch it either (what's with these so called professionals?)
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

The evaporator is the heater core like thing inside the HVAC box. The bottle that hangs off the firewall studs is called the accumulator. Its the dryer(desicant to remove moisture), and resivuar(sp) for the freon and lubricating oil for the A/C system.

I had a few A/C repair classes in the Air Force for some of the systems I worked on. Annoying that everyone comes to me when the summer heat starts coming on strong.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Hell, I never even used my windshield washer bottle.... My GT has the same set up as HissingCobras. 'cept I I still have the dual snorkle air cleaner. The previous owner did this to my GT and I like the idea so much I'm going ot do it to my LTD LX.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

hey mark, not trying to hijack, but check your Private Messages

anyone know where i could find a washer fluid reservior that would work on an 82 mustang gt ?