Close

FEP Senior Member

Default air pump block off

can the heads be plugged on the car if you take the smog pump
    stuff off an 86 5.0. what do you plug the h-pipe connection with. wlill
    it hurt anything ? what size cup plugs do you use on the heads
    or is there something else to use. thanks for your help.
    --Irvin Toms

there is a thread on this--u have to search for it-already posted(under mods, maint, and mech... i dont think that u have to plug h-pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by 8duallup
    there is a thread on this--u have to search for it-already posted(under mods, maint, and mech... i dont think that u have to plug h-pipe.
    have your user name deleted and your internet connection canceled.

you do have to plug it or you will have a hell of an exhaust leak. i cut mine and pinched/welded the tube shut on my o/r h-pipe. we put a rubber cap and a clamp on my friends and it hasnt melted yet.....

on the e7 heads i had on my 86, i just used that clay stoff that hardens like steel and plugged the heads, they are on a friends car now and still plugged tight

if your interested, i have the parts for the smog pump delete for way less then FRP has them.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

I agree on the rubber hose with a clamp for the h pipe, that should work well in a pinch
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

if you have to, you can break a spark plug in half and thread it into the heads, perfect fit. if i remember right, ford sells a plug set to block it off with. i think i had the part number at one point, but it's been a while. i think it was only like $10 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cjwanner2000
    if you have to, you can break a spark plug in half and thread it into the heads, perfect fit. if i remember right, ford sells a plug set to block it off with. i think i had the part number at one point, but it's been a while. i think it was only like $10 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by W.O.T. Stang
    Your ford dealer sells plugs for the heads
    Thermactor Plug
    Part # F4ZZ-6E086-A
    Youll need 2 of them. They are about 2.00 each.
    The size of the thread in the Thermactor Plug (part # F4ZZ-6E086-A) is 5/16-18.

If you don't have the Thermactor Plugs in the heads, or you just want to pick up some bolts instead, you can use a 5/8-11 x 3/4" long bolt from your local Hardware Store to plug the hole in the head. 5/8's = size 11 = threads per inch, 3/4" = length

http://www.badassmustangs.com/forums...pic,349.0.html
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

Myersracing

I went to Ace and bought some large bolts can't remember the size and plugged the H off and that was it.

86gt40

Quote Originally Posted by StangBoy
    we put a rubber cap and a clamp on my friends and it hasnt melted yet.....
    Where did you get this rubber cap?

FEP Power Member

Is it just me or is it a major pain in the ... to get the plugs/bolts started with all the carbon build up in the heads??? Is the hole in the back of the head threaded? Any "easy" way to clean the hole out?

Zen
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Myersracing

Well I actually had my engine hanging at the time when it hit me to plug them off. The holes weren't that bad and they were threaded. I just ran the bolt in and out a time or two with impact and then put some high temp sealant on the threads and put them in.

[quote="StangBoy"]

you do have to plug it or you will have a hell of an exhaust leak. i cut mine and pinched/welded the tube shut on my o/r h-pipe. we put a rubber cap and a clamp on my friends and it hasnt melted yet.....

on the e7 heads i had on my 86, i just used that clay stoff that hardens like steel and plugged the heads, they are on a friends car now and still plugged tight

yaa ya ya! sorry. on mine i didnt have any air inj. tube to h-pipe. i did help a friend with his a while ago. and we also used a rubber cap and hose clamp. had to do it twice- it was on for so long it eventually melted off. that stuff that hardens like steel- u talkin about jb weld?

[quote="8duallup"]
    Quote Originally Posted by StangBoy

yaa ya ya! sorry. on mine i didnt have any air inj. tube to h-pipe. i did help a friend with his a while ago. and we also used a rubber cap and hose clamp. had to do it twice- it was on for so long it eventually melted off. that stuff that hardens like steel- u talkin about jb weld?
    its like jb weld but more of a putty, not runny.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection