Close

Default Does anyone have a 351W based engine with SEFI?

Hi,
    Does anyone out there have a 351W based engine with the Mustang 5.0L type SEFI? If you do can you tell me what the dimension is from the crankshaft centerline straight up to the highest point on the upper intake manifold? I need to know if this combo would fit under the stock hood of my Zephyr.

Thanks,
    Paul78Zephyr
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

It "can" fit, but most times it won't fit without correct mounts(some say convert mounts do the trick) cutting out the bracing off the hood, or an aftermarket K-member. Another suggestion is spacers for the stock K-member.
    No matter where you go, there you are

I happen to have the beginnings of one in my '65 Half-a-fastback, but it has a GT40 intake. Would that be useful?

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Dean,
    If you can give me that measurement that would be a good start. Why do you mention the GT40 intake? Are its dimensions non-typical compared to other 351/5.8L EFI intakes. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

Hi Paul,

I'll try to get the measurements this Saturday (cars undercover and it's actually raining here in Southern Cal!).

I mention the intake type since I'm not sure if it's dimensions are the same as the stock cast upper intake or the '93 Cobra intake. Remember the intake FRPP used to sell that looks like a bunch of round tubes welded to a common ribbed plenum? That's what it is.

Dean T

Thanks Dean,

Now that you describe it I know exactly which intake you are talking about. I think its probably fairly typical (in overall height) of most Ford 5.0/5.8L EFI intakes.

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul,

Sorry I'm late. Sister's visiting so things got delayed. Anyway, I measured 22-1/4 inches from center of crank to top of GT-40 intake - plus minus 1/8" or so.

Also, I have a 1" phenolic spacer since the intake wouldn't clear the taller Ford Motorsport valve covers which I had to use due to the roller lifters.

Whew!

Dean T

Dean,
    Thanks for the measurement. I will let you know.

Paul

Dean,
    In reading your post I noticed that you needed 'taller' FMS VCs to clear your roller rockers. Do you know of any roller rockers that will work with the stock 5.0L cast aluminum VCs?

Thanks,
    Paul