Close

BECK

Default Stock Tachometer Adjustment w/ 351W ?

I'm working on getting the body prep for Paint on my 85 GT T-tops and some thing is nagging me and I wanted to get others opinions on it. When I put in my 351W in my stang and connected the Tach.. It reved way over what it should have at that engine speed. As I can understand it (from looking over threads) I need a adjustment for the stock tack to the 351W ? I also read that there shouldn't be a problem with a V-8 to V-8 change (-_-)
    Any info I can get about this would help out very much. Thanks in advance.

QTRMILE

unless it wasn't a V8 before, you shouldn't have to change anything. V8 is a V8 to the tach...

BECK

Yea it had a V8 in it before... -_-;;

Is there any thing else that would cause it not be set right... wiring maybe ?

BECK

^Bump

Anyone have any issues like this or have heard of it. What it's doing [Tach] is moving the needle all the way over just by touching the gas pedal. It did have a 302 in it before while I changed it out to a 351w. What would make it do that ? Another question I have is to those that have put a new Tach in their cars. If I bought a Tach .. what would be involved in installing it. I don't just mean the [taking the dash out] and what not I mean what would I need to hook it up and to have it work correctly.
    Thanks for any and all help you can give me on this... this is issue has been nagging me since I pulled the engine out to paint the car and now that I'm getting close to painting and putting it all back in.. >_> I really want to find out whats up.

FEP Senior Member

for hooking up an aftermarket tach u need to have a switched (ignition)power source, a ground from the engine, and hook a wire to the negative side of the coil(should be marked) should(don't quote me on that) be all u need... that's what i remember from putting one in my mazda B2200...good luck...there should be instructions in the tach package also if u have any questions
    84 GT, 357W, Alum Radiator, 2.02/1.60 Windsor Sr.'s, 600 DP, RPM Air-Gap, CC 270H, 1.6 RR, Streetdampr, T-5, K-C Clutch, Short Throw Shifter, Triple Pickup Quadrant, Firewall Adjuster, BBK shorty's, 8.8, 3.73's, O/R H-Pipe, DynoMax Cat-back, Alum Driveshaft. AFR Monitor, and a couple Auto Meters