Close

Default Fox Mustang, sport wheel, no horn?

I found a 3 spoke sprot wheel in a 79ish stang and grabbed it, finally found a horn button and found out my wheel is not set up for a horn, so where was the horn on the stang?
    This is the same wheel used on the Pinto's, Mustang II's and some trucks.
    '85 GT 4 time feature car
    '86 GT sold
    '88 GT pretty dang original
    '85 GT project

In 82 or 83 (or both, not sure on the years) the horn was on the column (push in the turn signal lever).

Other years (definitely 85-86) it was in the center of the steering wheel (all types).

Also the steering column changed in 1983 from a spline shaft to a D shaft. An early 79ish wheel will not work on the later steering columns unless you swap the whole deal over.

-Mike

V6DR

i believe sometime in 83 they put the horn back on the steering wheel.

My '83 GT has a build date of 7/83 and a CUN of 200735. The horn switch is part of the multi-function switch (horn, turn signal, high/low beam).
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    My '83 GT has a build date of 7/83 and a CUN of 200735. The horn switch is part of the multi-function switch (horn, turn signal, high/low beam).
    When did they start?

-Mike

Don't know when that started but my first car ('81 coupe) was the same.

Travis T

The 84's have the horn in the wheel where it belongs, and every 83 I've seen had it on the column just like the 79-82 cars.

Never knew that, I was trying to put the wheel on a Bronco, but want a center horn button. Guess I'm back to looking.
    '86 GT sold
    '85 GT project

i did this on my bronco just last week
    had to find a truck sport wheel in a
    bone yard because as you noticed
    any mustang wheel that style has
    no provision for the horn and no way
    to change the hub over either.
    check e-bay under bronco
    and you just may find what your
    after.
    78 Bronco 400 *RIP*
    85 Capri 2.3 5spd
    99 Sable 3.0 wifes ride
    95 Volkswagon GolfIII
    and of course my baby,
    86 CAPRI 92 302 /SROD

Dang, I grabbed a bent II wheel thinking I could maybe swap it. It will be cheaper just to get an aftermarket wheel I guess.
    '86 GT sold
    '85 GT project

FEP User

you can get the three spoke sport wheel out of a maverick or comet and it will bolt on I did this to my 81 F150 a few years back,looked good

Mustang II's had the same 3 spoke sport steering wheel... but with the horn in the center. Problem is... finding one! And if you do find one... there're usually trashed.

I was thinking of doing this swap to my 79 Futura and found a horn button in ok condition... unfortunetly the steering wheel it came from was completely trashed.

Oh well eh?

Good luck.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

FYI, My 1979 has a horn you press with the turn signal.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

You can blame the horn on the turn signal stalk on the Fairmont and the non-horn button sport wheel was first used on the '78 Fairmont. I originally thought about using a Mustang II sport wheel on a '65 Mustang but the slip rings are spaced a bit differently on a '65 Mustang wheel than a Mustang II.

There still maybe a way to use the Mustang II steering wheel on an '84-'89 Mustang. You don't have to change the entire steering column, just change the shaft the steering wheel bolts to. Use a spline shaft from a '78-'93 Fairmont or '79-'83 Mustang. With the steering column removed, the wire clip from the base of the steering column. Pull the inner shaft from the column housing. When it's out, you will see how the telescoping/collapsible steering shaft works. Pull off the D shape shaft and install a '79-'83 splined shaft.

This is theoretical right now since I haven't had a chance to try an '84-'89 turn signal switch/horn contact module on an older splined shaft steering column. I wanted to do this conversion on my '78 Futura and have the horn in the center using the Ford medalion which the '78 Fairmonts used. You can see an example on my website (this is the non-horn version but changing the medalion is easy).

The best part if the splined shaft? You can use the SN95 steering rack and not worry about a "clocked" steering wheel. Just yank the wheel and reorient it so it's straight again. It may clock the steering wheel when you remove the key and lock the steering column though.

A minor annoyance I can live with. If I did this conversion on my '84 Notch, I think I'd remove the silly feature which you have to push a button to remove the key.

Regards,

Dean T

P.S. It may be possible to modify the non-horn sport steering wheel so it can be a horn version. As far as I can tell comparing the two steering wheels, they use the same castings exept in the area where the slip ring is on the Mustang II version. I often wondered if I can install a set of slip rings for the horn contacts on the Fairmont Sport steering wheel (with appropriate insulation) and punch two holes and epoxy in two electrical contacts for the horn button.

Intriguing...
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Looking last night, the horn wheel has the horn guts attached by pressing the center hub making pinch marks. Looks like you would have to grind them down for removale and then come up with another method to reattach.
    '86 GT sold
    '85 GT project

I debated starting a new thread but my question might be better here.
    Does anyone know the part number or a way to find the spring that holds the center "non horn" cap? It basically looks like a long spring clip (like a super long paperclip) that makes contact with a hole on the left and right spindle. Its held in place by the screw nuts on the back of the cap. Before I give up and just velcro it on o figured maybe someone else might know.
    Maybe I should have looked to see I was posting to a 2005 thread : )

Quote Originally Posted by BBCFORD View Post
    I debated starting a new thread but my question might be better here.
    Does anyone know the part number or a way to find the spring that holds the center "non horn" cap? It basically looks like a long spring clip (like a super long paperclip) that makes contact with a hole on the left and right spindle. Its held in place by the screw nuts on the back of the cap. Before I give up and just velcro it on o figured maybe someone else might know.
    Maybe I should have looked to see I was posting to a 2005 thread : )
    Might have a spare one from my Pinto days. PM me and I will look tomorrow.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

[ATTACH]128596[/ATTACH
    Thanks... I'll send you a PM. I'll try to post a photo so it's more clear what the spring looks like for anyone wondering.
    Attached Images Attached Images