Close

Default 1979 RS Turbo Trim Option?

Hi All, I was just looking a an old parts car of mine, and notice that there is an extra aluminum trim piece between the dew wipes and the side of the door. It runs all along the door and another piece under the 1/4 windows next to the normal trim. It is on a 79 RS Turbo. The car has been sitting for years and will need to be parted out soon (to much "junk" for the insurance to cover the property). This is the only car out of the couple dozen or so that I have ran across that has it. So I think it is rare and am hopeing to be able to get it off safely.

If anyone knows about these and how they are attached I would very much appricate the info.

And yes I know save everything that was special on the RS, I plan on saving the motor/turbo. It does not run but I feel needs to be saved with the interior pieces as well

thanks
    Drive it like ya stole it

1982 Black Magic 5.0
    1984 GT Turbo - Needs TLC
    1982 5.0 Capri - Needs alot of help.
    1979, 1981, 1983 capris 1987 mustang - all for parts.

FEP Member

Has the car ever been redone in any way.
    The only thing I can think of is in '87 Mustang added an aluminum strip next to the dew strip and fit into the mirror. The '87 doors will work on '79-86 it just has that extra piece along the top edge next to the dew strip. To make it look right you would have to add the piece by the Qtr window.
    If this is the piece then there are some plastic tabs (like the ones that hold the inside door cover on). The strip is a channel and slides on and off. If possible Open the door and take the end cap off the strip and see if it is a channel that is able to slide on to the plastic tabs.

got those strips on the 79 stang were
    doing now. not sure how they come
    off yet but .... ill know by the week-
    end fo sure! ill check back Monday
    and reply if you havent found out
    by then.
    78 Bronco 400 *RIP*
    85 Capri 2.3 5spd
    99 Sable 3.0 wifes ride
    95 Volkswagon GolfIII
    and of course my baby,
    86 CAPRI 92 302 /SROD

They are different then the 87 and up. I had the car for almost ten yrs and all looked factory.

I do not plan to get to it for a couple of months, and then I need to figure out which of the four parts cars is the best one to keep. So yes please let me know how they come off, as I may end up making the one I keep like the RS or a 83 CC or 82 WM or something just nice.

Thanks again.
    Drive it like ya stole it

1982 Black Magic 5.0
    1984 GT Turbo - Needs TLC
    1982 5.0 Capri - Needs alot of help.
    1979, 1981, 1983 capris 1987 mustang - all for parts.

Travis T

Some 79-82 or so Mustangs and Capris came with that trim when ordered with certain trim packages. There are plastic retainers in the top edge of the door that hold them in, and they are almost impossible to get off without damaging them.

thats kind what i thought. i been feeling inside the door
    edge for a screw or nut but i can only feel like a flat
    rivet or something and prying on them is no good
    not prying hard but they seem firmly mounted.
    wont even slide off of either end of the door.
    guess thats why previous owner painted around
    them. so basically im no help. (surprise!)
    78 Bronco 400 *RIP*
    85 Capri 2.3 5spd
    99 Sable 3.0 wifes ride
    95 Volkswagon GolfIII
    and of course my baby,
    86 CAPRI 92 302 /SROD