Close

Thread: Turbo problem

FEP User

Default Turbo problem

I was going to post this on turboford but that site is down. I was on my way home today and I noticed what sounds like a very bad vacuum leak whenever my car gets into boost. My car is an 85 Turbo Coupe. The sound is coming from the drivers side of the car. I looked under the hood for broken or unhooked vac lines and couldn't find any. I just went to the gas station to get some beer and on the way back it got worse, way worse. It stumbled and then the turbo boosted up to about 10 psi and then the car just crapped out it won't go over 5psi without crapping out.

FEP Super Member

Did it blow off one of the tube's?

Sounds like a big boost leak from somewhere..

Does it kind of sound like a huge vacume leak or a whooosshh sound.

What is your set up? Are running a intercooler?

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP User

The car is stock, no intercooler. It does sound like it is losing boost .

FEP Super Member

You need to check the hose from the turbo to the intake manifold.

A very small leak will create aolot of noise while under boost. Pull the hose off and squeze it at different angle's and look for hole's. Use a flashlight and shine it into the hose while you squeze it and look for the light to shine through.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP User

it was the hose from the turbo to the intake, some how it had come loose.

FEP Super Member

At least it's a easy fix.

Double check the clamp and make sure it's still holding a good clamping force.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP User

have you got any idea where I can get a stubby adapter for my t3 so I can install an intercooler in the stock location? I need something like what is on your SVO t3.

FEP Super Member

No I dont have a spare. i'm sure that someone og TF has one or a good idea on how to do it.

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Quote Originally Posted by nickj85
    have you got any idea where I can get a stubby adapter for my t3 so I can install an intercooler in the stock location? I need something like what is on your SVO t3.
    Worth noting..............

When you run a 87-88 Turbo coupe intercooler, you need to reclock (point up) the compressor housing. Well, most people never realize that this also changes the way the inlet points. Your inlet will now be pointing down requiring changes.

Either find an SVO compressor housing which is hard as hell to find, and get an 87-88 hood.

Or.........

Consider the cost of a Motorsport front mount intercoooler for an 83-86 Turbo Coupe. Most can be had for 150-250 and are an easy bolt on. Also they have better performance since they locate the intercooler away from the turbo. With SO compressor housings costing 100 bucks easy, plus an intercooler and a hood, you can see why I recommend the Motorsport kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

I was going to bid on that one, but I dont need it. I will let you have a fighting chance at it.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

FEP User

I have the intercooler hood and I just ordered the short outlet for the t3 housing. I wish I had seen that before I ordered.