Close

Hybrid View

Default Converting to manual crank windows a bad idea?

I have a an '84 with power windows and today I saw an '84 with manual windows. Would be a good idea to dump the weight of power windows and convert to manual crank or is that a stupid idea - especially since I have 37 lbs extra weight from the sun roof?

Thanks,

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Why would it be dumb.

Only thing I see missing would be the cool factor of the window going down. Cause looking cool while cranking the crank is near impossible.
    No matter where you go, there you are

If they work I'd leave them. Manual windows only save a pound or two. Not as much as people think.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT
    If they work I'd leave them. Manual windows only save a pound or two. Not as much as people think.
    Not only that, but you'd have to either get manual door panels or plug & cut on the existing panels, right? Not worth the effort in my opinion....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Travis T

No, the hole is in the same place for the switches and the handles, but the driver's side would have a big hole around the handle if you did the conversion. It would be more headache than it's worth.

and you have to admit, it'll be alot less of a pain having crank windows cos you dont have to worry about fried motors and broken switches.

and its not about the weight, iin my opnion, the power window motors only put more strain on an already strained alternator (if you still have the stock)

and its just simpler keeping crank wiindows
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Thanks for the feed back. Yes, I would have to change the door panels too since the cranks are located in virgin territory on my door panels and my window switches are mounted directly below the arms rests - makes them hard to see when you're sitting in the seat!

I guess I'll stick to the power windows since I need to get the car back on the road!

Regards,

Dean T

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T
    my window switches are mounted directly below the arms rests - makes them hard to see when you're sitting in the seat

Dean T
    Dean... I dunno about 84's man... but on my 85 the switch thats under the door armrest is for the power locks. Maybe your 84 was miss-wired? I dunno....
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

FEP Senior Member

I prefer manual cranking windows...les stuff to go wrong later.

Thats just me, I prefer to keep it simple.
    85 Mustang Coupe, 3.3L I6, C4, 8.8 3L23, 17x8 wheels. About 70% towards firing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marz
    my window switches are mounted directly below the arms rests - makes them hard to see when you're sitting in the seat

Dean T
    Dean... I dunno about 84's man... but on my 85 the switch thats under the door armrest is for the power locks. Maybe your 84 was miss-wired? I dunno....
    Yup, both my 85 and 86 are that way...but...could just be the way they did it depending on the option since both of my cars have power locks, but have manual windows. Now if he has power everything, thats different, but could have manual locks and power windows...not a clue...got answers?

I'm not aware of any four eyed mustang with power window switches under the arm rests. I see a lot of mustangs and capri's when I go the junk yards and I have NEVER seen one with power window switches under the arm rest.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

Quote Originally Posted by moelll
    and you have to admit, it'll be alot less of a pain having crank windows cos you dont have to worry about fried motors and broken switches.

and its not about the weight, iin my opnion, the power window motors only put more strain on an already strained alternator (if you still have the stock)

and its just simpler keeping crank wiindows
    Sorry but this simply is not true. Theres nothing simple about crank windows. Have you ever tried installing a manual window crank? <raises hand> I have, lol. I have previously owned 2 different cars that have required a manual window crank replacement. This is NOT FUN TO DO. I hate crank windows with a passion. The manual cranks always go out, they are irritating to replace, irritating to have to reach over to roll the passenger window down. Crank windows work fine and then eventually the crank starts getting really difficult to roll the window up and down and next thing you know it, your using 2 hands to try and roll the window up...and then the stupid handle breaks. Ask me how I know. The second car I bought had a bad window crank on the driver side the day I bought it. About 2 years later the passenger side window crank went out and I said screw it, that window is now permanently going to stay up.
    The power window system in our Mustangs is so simple it's not even funny. 3 or 4 bolts and the window motor out, disconnect the harness, plug in the new one, bolt it up, get someone to hold the window so it doesn't crash into the door. As long as you have a good alternator, I wouldn't worry about putting a strain on anything.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

1984 what? Fairmont, Zephyr, Capri, Mustang?

The Capris and Mustangs only had the power locks under the arm rests....power windows or crank windows used the same spot...higher and forward of the arm rest.

-Mike

dean is talking about my brothers 84 Notch that he bought.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

V6DR

yeah manual cranks windows rule

Quote Originally Posted by negusm

The Capris and Mustangs only had the power locks under the arm rests....power windows or crank windows used the same spot...higher and forward of the arm rest.

-Mike
    Yeah and I think there is a cut out thingie there for removal for the switches.

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    Quote Originally Posted by negusm

-Mike
    Yeah and I think there is a cut out thingie there for removal for the switches.
    Yes. The cardboard is perforated under the armrests for adding power lock switches and at the crank for power window switches.

On the driver's side, you CANNOT mismatch them without working at it!

On the passenger side, I suppose you could switch them as the switches are the same size but I don't know if the harness would allow it.

-Mike

Yeah cause the driver side has two switches while the passenger has one.

My bad, I got the window and lock switches mixed up. The window switch is forward of the arm rests. I have been working on the HVAC so have been working out of the passenger side a lot. I'd still have to replace the driver side door panel if I'd convert to manual crank windows since the power window switch is huge.

Oh man, I remember a time when the power windows used to crap out before the manual window versions. Now days, it looks like the opposite is true.

Anyway, I'm going to a bit busy getting the HVAC and the underhood vacuum lines corrected to mess around with the power windows.

Oh, yes. '84 Mustang. Fairmont/Zephyr production ended in '83 and I don't think the LTD, Thunderbird, or Cougar ever had manual crank windows. Does it really matter what car model I was talking about? I was comparing manual versus power windows in the same model of car!

Regards,

Dean T

Travis T

I've never had a problem with Fox manual windows, and I've owned many of them.

Oh, yes. '84 Mustang. Fairmont/Zephyr production ended in '83 and I don't think the LTD, Thunderbird, or Cougar ever had manual crank windows. Does it really matter what car model I was talking about?
    Probably not...I just don't know exactly what Ford did in anything other than Mustangs or Capris....and I saw a "Futura" tag in your sig...

[quote="Dean_T"] I don't think the LTD, Thunderbird, or Cougar ever had manual crank windows./quote]

FYI

85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Proof
    I'm not aware of any four eyed mustang with power window switches under the arm rests. I see a lot of mustangs and capri's when I go the junk yards and I have NEVER seen one with power window switches under the arm rest.
    my 85 has the power lock switch under the arm rests

Quote Originally Posted by 85saleencoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Proof
    my 85 has the power lock switch under the arm rests
    yes, as it should. however your power window controls are in the same place that the manual window crank handle would be
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt