Close

Default Foxbody lean mystery solved!?!?

90ford47
    SPRINGS - VEHICLE LEAN - APPLICATION CHARTS - EXCLUDES "SALEEN" MODELS
    Article No. 90-26-3
    FORD: 1989-90 MUSTANG
    ISSUE: Vehicles may have a tendency to lean to the left because the location of the battery, windshield washer bottle, radiator expansion bottle and engine accessory drive may cause a weight bias on the left front side. This lean condition most often appears as a lean in the rear of the vehicle rather than the front.

ACTION: Check the wheel lip measurement and, if required, install a new left front spring to restore the vehicle to a more level attitude. The front spring is to be changed, even if the lean is greater in the rear of the vehicle. Refer to the following procedure for service details.
    Figure 1

1. Place the vehicle on level ground.

2. Take all measurements from the ground to the body wheel lips as close to the axle center line as possible, Figure 1.

3. Determine the difference of the front wheel lip measurements by substracting the low from the high measurement. Using the following Wheel Lip Measurement Chart. select the correct spring load change (i.e. plus 1. plus 2) within the rate group.

4. After determining the correct spring change (i.e. plus 1 or plus 2) find the three letter tape code located on the front spring of the side that exhibits the lean and select the replacement spring using the following charts.

The following 1989-1990 Mustang Rear Spring Chart is provided for general informational purposes only. Generally, the rear springs will not have to be replaced unless there is damage or structural concerns.

(*) Code is also in Parts Book.

5. Remeasure the vehicle as described in Steps 1 and 2. Confirm that the vehicle is in specification per the Wheel Lip Measurement Chart. If the vehicle is not to specification (0.00" +/- 0.20"), repeat Step 3 through 5.

Within a rate group, installing a high load spring will increase the vehicle ride height. Conversely, a lower load spring will decrease the vehicle ride height. The following Spring Change Bumper Effect Chart indicates an approximate change in bumper-to-ground height for each increment of spring change.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: None

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Basic Warranty Coverage
    OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
    902603A Replace Spring 1.2 Hr.
    DEALER CODING
    BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
    5310 63
    OASIS CODES: 304000

That is a reprint of a TSB. The images won't copy over (it's off a passworded site) but there is the text. I would certainly assume it would apply to our era cars as well. I hope this maybe helps someone....
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Default Re: Foxbody lean mystery solved!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith
    SPRINGS - VEHICLE LEAN - APPLICATION CHARTS - EXCLUDES "SALEEN" MODELS
    Do "SALEENS" lean differently? :P

I don't know how many people over on corral have complained about their leaning aero mustangs and have never been able to fix the problem. Evidently this is like top secret Ford info. Thanks for sharing.

Whoa...
    That's pretty heavy duty
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

ethangsmith, copy the images to your harddrive and then upload them to an album here....then we can see them too.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    ethangsmith, copy the images to your harddrive and then upload them to an album here....then we can see them too.

-Mike
    sometimes you cant, they have it disabled , i could try an image ripper though....
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

Did you try putting a .gif. on the ends of those URLs? The image properties shows a .gif at the end of the URL.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

you could try clearing your temp internet cache..
    visit the site and view the image.

then go browse the cache and see if IE kept a copy.
    William's Law--
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

When I get home, I can get the pictures uploaded into my album. I will make sure you all get the info.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

ok, i couldnt wait. Pics are posted!!! See my album!
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

I had an idea- maybe make this a note at the top of this forum so it stays there and maybe try to upload the pics directly into the site?
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

red x's, and saying not "authorised" lol, someone spelled that wrong
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I found that if you sign in and look at my profile it will show them. If you don't sign in, it shows red x's.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

here I'll host them for you...

Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

interesting...

i dont really buy it though, it sounds like they made up an excuse to explain it.

Thanks 50 Proof for hosting those

"ISSUE: Vehicles may have a tendency to lean to the left because the location of the battery, windshield washer bottle, radiator expansion bottle and engine accessory drive may cause a weight bias on the left front side. This lean condition most often appears as a lean in the rear of the vehicle rather than the front. "

It does seem like a bit of a stretch, but the fact that Ford refered to it all is a pretty big deal
    It must have been showing up real quick in those years, still under warranty cars
    Enough people were complaining about it that they issued a TSB
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

FEP Super Member

Default lean

I've thought my car was abnormally high in the front , and since I have aluminum heads ....It just seemed high . Today I measured from the level garage floor up to the fender lip at all 4 corners ....here is what I found . My car is actually only a 1/2 inch higher on the right front than the right rear ...27" rear to 27.5" front and on the left I was @ 27" in the rear and only 27.25 on the left front . So I have a 1/4th inch lean to the light side of the car ....battery is on the right side not the left ....I also noticed that the camber is a bit different per side also , if looking at the caster plates , there was a differance in each setting ....I'll be getting a set of cc plates soon and maybe we will see a differance then ....this is just what I found on mine today after installing new rear brake shoes ...

My car has been in the shop for a while and sitting on a level surface undisturbed. I pulled the car out of it's space today to clean the copius piles of dirt out from underneath it. When I pulled it out in to the aisle, I can see my car has it real bad. Looks like there should be a few bags of sand in my trunk on the driver's side!
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Are you sure it's specifically those years cause my 81 leans to the driver side and the driver side seat leans towards the passenger side of the car.
    I love my car
    1981 mustang hatchback

Hmmm, I guess my 86 is all messed up. It was leaning towards the drivers front, but it still had the original springs on it so I assumed it was causing the lean. I have put a set of H&R's on last week or so and had the car aligned today and it looks to still have some lean. I measured the top of the fenderwells to the ground in my level garage and this is what I have.
    Left front- 25 7/8in
    Right front- 26 1/16in
    Right rear- 26 1/4in
    Left rear- 26 in
    I guess I'm going to try and clock the springs to see if I can get it leveled up before I do my subframes. The c/c plates per side have a different setting also, the right front wheel is level but the left front is still leaning in some. To the best of my knowledge, this car has never been wrecked. Has anyone else had one this far out of whack and what did you do about fixing it? Thanks, Tim
    86 GT 363 w/80mm turbo-currently under construction
    19 F-150 Lariat Supercrew-DD