Close

Default FEP member experiences with aftermarket plastic trim items

Hey all -

I just got a delivery from LMRS today. I got all excited from their installation video, so I decided to replace the vent grille and lower windshield moldings with new aftermarket parts. I know that the original parts on my car appear to have a coat of primer and Trim Black paint on them. I guess my expectation for the replacements to have the same finish as the originals, but it doesn't appear to be so. The parts I got were the right shape and size, but they are just molded black parts. I don't blame LMRS - the parts are the same that one would get from any aftermarket parts outlet. Have any of you bought the same items and used them as is, or did you take the time to clean, prep and paint them?

Personally, I'm leaning towards repainting them. I can't imagine naked black plastic holding up very long...

Please share your experiences.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

I generally plan on repainting any and all trim parts and pieces. This is the only way I know to make them all match and not have issues with colors, etc.

As you already stated the paint will help with the long term durability of the parts too so I would definitly consider painting them with some SEM trim paint before installing.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I repainted my trim about three years ago and replaced the plastic piece at the base of the front window on the driver's side. I painted it and it has held up well enough. If I had known where to get hold of a take-off part, I would have preferred to use it. All replicas seem to be slightly lower quality that the original Ford pieces.
    Last edited by kbrandt; 01-07-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car." - Will Shriner

'86 GT Mustang "Tigger"
    '95 GT convertible (wife's car)
    '86 SVO accursed car (sold)

Thanks for the responses so far. They pretty much confirm what I need to do. I just want everything to have the same look and hold up well after the bits get installed. It's a good thing that I also ordered 2 cans of Trim Black at the same time.
    Bryan

I was in the same perdicament when I got the dew wipe trim. Not only was it black...85 is charcoal...and had a crinkle texture to it, but it was also steel and not aluminum. Good thing the car was being tore down for paint. I ran into a simular situation with the vert rear quarters...they only make them for the 87 and up...which are a little different being one piece versus two...and they had to be modified/cut to fit, then primed/painted.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

These are great questions asked!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I generally plan on repainting any and all trim parts and pieces. This is the only way I know to make them all match and not have issues with colors, etc.

As you already stated the paint will help with the long term durability of the parts too so I would definitly consider painting them with some SEM trim paint before installing.

Good Luck!

Trey
    Trey that is a great point!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Trey that is a great point!

Thanks!
    IMHO this is more of an issue with the grey trim than the black. The black tends to lose sheen as it ages, but the color is still black. The grey as everyone is aware, tends to get chalky, lose sheen, and the color fades out so new trim just makes the old stuff look even worse than before.

Besides, it just seems easier to me to just plan on repainting everything at one time and be done with it. Yes it would be great if this stuff matched perfectly, but it never does.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

When I repainted my car, I bought new trim for the base of the windows on each door. The new pieces didn't fit right and I ended up refinishing my original pieces (SEM trim paint works great). I threw out the new ones that I had purchased. Also, I bought new air vents for the dashboard. I needed 3 of them. Two worked fine and the 3rd one didn't fit right so I removed it and reused an original.

But, I must say that most of the pieces I have purchased have been excellent.
    Rob

When i restored my 85,I put a new winshield in before paint, And i got all new trim around the winshield and bottom trim. The new trim around the winshield was already painted and looked good,So all i did was paint the bottom trim and it looks good.And i am picky.

I meant to follow up on this, but time keeps slipping into the future...

I had pretty good luck with the new plastic pieces I bought. I'm glad that I bought new lower windshield trim because, no matter how careful I was with the originals, the clips didn't give up without a fight. On closer examination of the original parts, Ford did paint the plastic pieces, so I just followed suit. The result was very pleasing to the eye and if I hadn't replaced them myself, you'd never be able to tell. As soon as the local temps get back above 70 degrees, I'll finish painting the trim. I've got plenty of other things to keep me busy until then.
    Bryan

Thanks Bryan for the update
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story