Close

FEP Power Member

Default removing headlight switch

hey whats up. anybody ever remove there headlight switch (the headlight switch thats on the dash) i am trying to remove it off of my 85 mustang gt, but it wont come off. can you give some info for me if you have done this before? thanks

It should tell you in your hayes manual. You have to reach up behind the switch and press a button while at the same time pulling out the knob. I'm not sure, but think, the knob must also be pulled on position before you attempt this.

It's late and I'm tired....
    It's kinda' hard to explain but I have done it before...it's a pain.
    -Rocko
    ===============
    85 Capri GS 2.3L (Flooded by Katrina)
    Please sign my Guestbook!!>>>
    http://members.cardomain.com/rock007

St80sixer

Push down the button on the top of the switch's body while pulling on the knob. If it doesn't come out on the first try, push it in and out until it comes loose. Then push the knob back in slightly to turn off the headlights and pull it out completely.

You can use a wide screwdriver to remove the bezel nut that holds the switch in place on the dash and it just drops out from behind the dash. Then you disconnect the wiring to the switch and you're done.

FEP Power Member

o.k got the switch off. the problem is when ever i put my highbeam lights on my lights completly go out. if i hold the highbeam lever back with my hand the lights will stay on.(this is the lever on the coloum) and sometimes if i play with the headlight switch (the one on the dash) like pull it in and out the lights will come back on. last summer the low beams started shuting off while driving, so i would haul the headlight switch in and out 3 or 4 times and they would come back on. anybody ever have this problem before? tonight i took down the headlight switch left it pluged in and turned the lights on and moved the wires around but the lights stayed normal. so now i dont know if its that or not. could it be something else besides the switches? thanks

FEP Senior Member Moving_Target's Avatar

Been there, done that. There is a circuit breaker built into the headlight switch. It is tripping and causing your lights to turn off. Just go to a junkyard and get another one. I do know that my '86 had a warning buzzer built into the switch to tell you when the lights were left on but a previous year headlight switch will work the same minus the buzzer and circuit breaker.

I nearly got stranded because of that dumb switch design.
    '86 Notch autocross beotch ( bucket of rust)
    '94 Crown Vic Winter Beater
    '93 Mustang Hatchback 2.3L 5spd

FEP Power Member

thanks alot man, for the info. i am going to buy a new one and see what it does.

I trying to remove my headlight switch, where is this button to remove the pull knob ? I can not find
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

You have to contort yourself and reach up under the dash. The button on the switch is often facing the outside of the car, so that make it even harder to reach. Pull the knob out and depress the switch and that should release the knob. Sometimes you have the wiggle/jiggle the knob back and forth for the button to release it. Hope that helps.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

no problem getting my hand around the switch, Im just not feeling anything the feels like a button, you or anyone got a pic of what I should be pressing?

1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

thanks for the pic, but it doesnt show me where the button is, got anything else?

release button is the silver thing sticking up centered to the left of the 90° stamped bend in the riveted zinc plated switch cover

Yea, exactly like gr79 explained.

I assumed you would spot it, although I understand that not being familiar with it makes that harder. It is pretty small too.

Note that it is on the opposite side of the electrical connection. That will give you some orientation since you will be doing it by feel.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

success, that was the right clue to give me, thanks guys

any recommendations on which switch to buy for replacement ?, rock auto gives me 4 choices

If you can find OEM i would use that.
    But i think i used a Standard brand when i replaced mine, works great so far
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I'd recommend a Motorcraft part.

Part number SW1597 if your car has the Visibility Light Group option, or p/n SW1596 if your car doesn't have the Visibility Light Group option.

The plug on the headlight switch has 2 extra wires if the car has the Light Group option. Look at the pics of the switches on the RockAuto site. You'll see what I'm talking about. Match it up to your existing switch.

Went with the motorcraft, and thanks for letting me know there is 2 different styles, dont know if I would of known the difference.