Close

Default Will this Subframe set up be enough?

A while back I had subframe connectors welded into the '78 Friggin' Futura.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/3573/FZ/Dec04.html

If you check the link, you'll see the rear of the connectors end right at the base of the rear seat pan. Is that good enough or should the subframe connector go to the rear torque box? Not much I can do with it now but if it's not enough, I might try having the rear sub frame rail which starts on the other side (outside) of the rear seat pan boxed and reinforced.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Looks like its pretty stout to me. It would probably be a little stronger if they were welded into the rear framerails though.
    -Zach
    '81 Zephyr Sedan: In pieces. Some at the garage, some under my bed, etc...

Banned

Since you have obvious intentions of road racing the car, I'm sure corner carvers would provide a little more real-world feedback on your subframe setup. I was at Willow Springs last weekend for the open track event ... most fox bodies at the track are using standard subframe connectors as their only chassis stiffening device. HOWEVER, the stiffer the chassis, the better the car will handle, period. From your website, it looks like you've already addressed the kmember.

That being said, your frame connectors look a little over the top! I think it will provide irritating to have those raised portions under the carpet. I'm surprised that you didn't just cage the car to go along with the through-the-floor subframes. The stresses placed on a road-racing car aren't the same as those placed on a drag racing car. Still, you may as well do it once, do it right, which you definitely have done.

Thanks for the input all. On other thing I need to do is repair my rear crossmember - the previous owner ripped it some how so my plan is to weld in an 18 guage steel strip with a 90 degree lip bent in it. I had an old '81 ex-cop Fairmont that had something similar done to it.

Regards,

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Anonymous

that's a pretty standard way to install them.

going all the way back so that the lower control arm bolts extends THROUGH the end of the connector is 'ideal'... but during use i the way you have it done there will work the same.

doing it the 'ideal' way leave a lot more things go wrong during the install.