Close

83CapriEFI

Default Street Legal - Finally!

Just wanted to announce that I finally got my BAR sticker this morning to certify my Capri as a 1990 engine for smog. I squeeked by on the NOx readings so my junkyard catalytic converter's days are numbered.

My conversion to EFI took about 2 years working off and on. I was frustrated with the emissions for the last year and even took it to Ford for a diagnoistic. They said the car runs just fine except the cats were not so great - it just needed some fuel injector cleaner and miles at high rpm to clean it out. I believe the last mod I did was what brought the emissions down by about 50%. I had been using the 83 coil and was not aware the 90 coil put out more juice. I upgraded coils and changed the spark plugs from Bosch platinum to standard Autolites.

Thanks everyone that helped me along the way - this web site was vital. The saga is over. Time for a beer.

FEP Super Member

Sweet.......... Got any pic's of the car.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

EFI conversions are great. I remember how happy I was the first time I cranked it over and it fired right up after I did mine.

lets see some pictures under the hood if you have any.
    1984 Capri RS - 503rwhp/558 Ft/tq on pump gas
    1986 Mustang GT Convertible - 40k, all original

From the old pictures in your photo album... the car looks sweet...

We now need updated photos in that album.

Also... congratz on the pass!

"Jasen"
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

I've found that junkyard converters need about a week of driving to, "get them cleaned out" after being not used in a long time.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

the saga is NEVER over.. you just need to think of a new mod
    Mike
    1979 Mercury Capri (RIP)
    1976 Lincoln Mk4
    1991 Explorer 4WD
    ProCare Downtown
    Cincinnati Ohio
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/498210

Congrats! The BAR label is a good thing. They go over your car with a fine tooth comb, so if you passed you did it right. Now you don't have to worry about the jacktard smog tech on the corner failing you.

BTW, the cat doesn't have much impact on NOx emissions. NOx is lowered by the EGR valve and is affected by ignition timing and engine temp. High engine temps and advanced timing will make NOx emissions go up.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Could you go into a little detail on dealing with the referee? Did you have to go multiple times to finally get approved? Did you have to prove that the swap engine came from a California car? Any other advice would be great, I'll be doing the EFI swap to my '85 this year.
    1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc
    2001 Audi S4 Avant

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Congrat's! We need pic's....

it won't be long now before someone will have to do the 'ol,"This thread is useless without pic's" thang...
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....