Close

Thread: 1983 RS TURBO

FEP User

Default 1983 RS TURBO

What would you guys reccomend checking while lookign to buy a 1983 RS Capri Turbo? Thanks!

The body! Accidents, rust and rot! Check for floor pan damage. Check the front frame rails near the radiator support and under the battery tray. You'll probably find some rot under the battery tray (it is pretty common...even on fairly rust free cars) just see how extensive it is. Check under the car, in the wheel wells, etc.

The turbo guys should be able to give you pointers on how to tell if the turbo engine has problems.

Most everything mechanical can be obtained or reconditioned....including the interior. It just depends on how bad its been neglected and howmuch work you want to put in on it.

-Mike

FEP Super Member

I believe that the 83 rs turbo car's are RARE RARE RARE RARE RARE RARE................

On the turbo.... Shaft play, smoke, regular maintenance, oil leak's, exhaust condition, cracked manifold..

All of this is easilly repairable and WOULD NOT deter me from buying a extremely rare RS turbo..

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

There were only 381 made in 83. I got mine for a good price but it needs some work. I would say go for it
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Under the hood look for the normal leaks and drips. Pay attention to any puffs of smoke that you may see (as with any car). Observe the idle quality, as it should have a smooth idle if it was taken care of.

If your really worried about the engine, you can try to pull codes off it real quick (if you have a code scanner) that can give you a quick overview of the condition of the engine.

In any sitiuation though, if its in any way saveable... SAVE IT! 83 RS Turbos are indeed a rare beast! They deserve to be saved.
    It puts the ATF in the T5... IT DOES AS IT'S TOLD!!!!!

Blog Entries

At this point, I'd tell anyone who even has room just to park it and sit on it to buy an 83 Turbo RS Capri. If you can't take it on as a project, hold on to it till you find someone who can. Are they worth much money? Sadly, no. But they are invaluable to the breed. So very few of the EFI 2.3T RSes were made and a fraction remain intact, let alone running.

Travis T

I'd only be concerned about the body due to the rareness of that car. There is one sitting in an impound lot near my house that I really want.