Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    83glxfan

Default GLX convertible production Number

I own a 1983 Mustang GLX convertible. The car is charcoal grey metallic and has no air conditioning or power windows/door locks. I would like to know what exact production number my car is for an 83' GLX Convertible. I already know the production number out of all 83 mustangs ( Gt's Lx's etc.), however I want specifics so that I know how rare the car is. Can anyone help me.

Travis T

If they'll give it to you, I've emailed them several times over the last three months, and they won't reply.

does anyone have a number welded in under the radiator and if so what does it mean.
    Garage
    1983 Mustang GLX convertible 5.0 5speed (father's) 9.42 @ 76mph (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed (project, mine) 9.05 @ 77.43mph (sold)
    ^^ 13 years later bought the 1985 back as of 02/04/22

Quote Originally Posted by Helltime
    does anyone have a number welded in under the radiator and if so what does it mean.
    Got a picture?

Is it welded TO the radiator or to the chassis?

-Mike

Default Re: GLX convertible production Number

Quote Originally Posted by 83glxfan
    I own a 1983 Mustang GLX convertible. The car is charcoal grey metallic and has no air conditioning or power windows/door locks. I would like to know what exact production number my car is for an 83' GLX Convertible. I already know the production number out of all 83 mustangs ( Gt's Lx's etc.), however I want specifics so that I know how rare the car is. Can anyone help me.
    Is it a 5.0 car because if it is there was 362 made and if it is not an original 5.0 car then it is nothing special as in rarity.
    Garage

the chassis
    Garage

Now I have a question about the 362. I happened to recently realize the 83 vert I have is a GLX not a GT (bought as a project and was out of sight out of mind I saw it again lol) and it is an original 5.0 car and its completely together.

Now I never saw the 362 number on the top 100 rarest mustangs list so does that mean the 993 GT verts that are on the list are both GT's and GLX's combined?? Just wondering how rare of a car I have
    86 GT vert

Projects: 1994 roller named Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by BAD5oh
    Now I have a question about the 362. I happened to recently realize the 83 vert I have is a GLX not a GT (bought as a project and was out of sight out of mind I saw it again lol) and it is an original 5.0 car and its completely together.

Now I never saw the 362 number on the top 100 rarest mustangs list so does that mean the 993 GT verts that are on the list are both GT's and GLX's combined?? Just wondering how rare of a car I have
    I don't know where he got that number either....I have not gone through the Fox Mustang Recognition Guide so I don't know if that number is in there. Maybe he can elaborate a little more.

So many people post numbers that are just plain wrong, it's amazing. Nearly EVERY asc vert auction posted has somebody spouting made up production numbers that are just laughable.

-Mike

This is one of the sources where I get my production number info.

http://www.corral.net/20anngt/top50.htm

The GT registry mentions the GLX vert but pretty much only says an 83 vert only came is a GT or GLX package and the 993 GT's and 8 made for Canada but I don't know if its both combined
    86 GT vert

That is just the GT model not the GlX. There were about 6300 made as 5.0 Glx vert. In a red one like mine there were 1639 made in that color. Tell me what color yours is and i can tell you how many were made because I have the mustangs and fast fords mag with the issuse where they did the production numbers from 79-83 or 84.
    Garage

mine is blue like a dark electric blue. 5sp. black top, black interior, TRX wheels, roll up windows, no mods
    86 GT vert

There are 3 blues listed and all 3 are pretty rare.

35 Light Cadet Blue- 298 made between 5.0 GT/Glx verts.
    3L Midnight Blue Metallic- 341 made between 5.0 GT/GLx verts
    5C Dark Cadet Blue- 369 made between 5.0 GT/GLx verts.

Hope this helps. I think the numbers before the color are numbers i the vin code to verify the color but I am not sure
    Garage

You can pretty much state that the production numbers for each of the blues listed above are for GLX cars only. It is my understanding that the 83 GT Convertible was not available in any of the blue colors listed.

ExteriorColor availability was limited to:

1B - Medium Charcoal
    1C - Black
    1G - Silver Metallic
    24 - Red
    27 - Bright Red
    9D - Polar White

Interior Color choice was limited to:

CA - Black Vinyl
    CD - Red Vinyl
    FA - Black Cloth/Vinyl
    FD - Red Cloth/Vinyl

I should note that my wife and I are the current curators of the 1983 GT Mustang GT Registry. We took over for Tom Wade a few years back. Tom remains as technical advisor. I can help with production numbers on the 83 GT Convertibles and have some limited information on the 5.0 GLX convertibles. I can help out, but must admit, my spare time is currently being taken up by the restoration of our convertible, so be patient with me. I may even be able to sort though some of the data and get a breakdown on the medium charcoal GLX noted above. What color/type is the interior?

I know I was just trying to awnser that one person's question about his BLUE GLX convertible. I am too lazy to to put down all of the colors.
    Garage

amanns

I would really like to know the true number of 83glx 5.0 convertibles actually made. My wife worked for ford motor co then and i was into mustangs. we had owned a few. in 82 when ford announced that they going to introduce the 83 mustang conv we were told that each ford dealer would only get one a month. we tried to order one from various dealers in the atlanta area to no avail . no dealer wanted to sell on ford a plan. wanted full sticker price. finally thanks to the plant manager at the atlanta plant we got to order the car from a dealer in macon,ga like we wanted this was in october 82. there were no gt built then. never liked 6 cyl cars so it had to be 5.0 no avaible automatic whitch was fine with me like to shift gears. first response from ford was that there was a hold on the 5.0 in that car. didn't take delivery on the car till may 83. I still have the car and all the original paperwork and window sticker. car has 150k miles on it and still runs great. swapped rear end to 8.8 3 years ago along with true dual exhaust off road h pipe.

We are I think the third owner of ours it had 47k original miles (and looks it) now it has 49k and we also went with true dual exhaust. We were going with bbk but as soon as we got it we found out the wields were junk and the right long tube header was bent wrong so after we took it back we got mack shorty headers h-pipe and mufflers and tail pipes and it is louder than we expected. but it was all easy bolt on type stuff the bbk stuff said it was but was not. We also put on a new intake, carb and plugs wires and coil. This winter we are changeing an 86 roller motor to a carb instead of fuel injection we are also going to do a few other things to the engine before it goes in and we have an 8.8 rear end with 3.55s in it and disk brakes we got it pretty cheap so that is going in this winter also. I think this winter if we don't get another stang to play with we will do all this and get an msd system, cam and other things. But right now after haveing it down for a month me and my dad are just glad to be able to drive it again.
    Garage

I have as complete a set of production numbers that I think exists. It took me years to gather it all. Hope it helps:

http://www.ohiobikers.com/GLX/production.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 83GLX View Post
    I have as complete a set of production numbers that I think exists. It took me years to gather it all. Hope it helps:

http://www.ohiobikers.com/GLX/production.htm
    What is your SOURCE?

We have had many people claim to know production numbers.

While I do acknowledge some people may have finagled production numbers out of Ford, we often have to take them with a grain of salt sometimes.

-Mike

I am just curious to know where paint code 24 is?
    83 GT Turbo

And what is Special Service production of 49? That was the total GLX SSP sedans? So the rest (~71 more) were L or GL coupes?

I'd like to know the source also. I didn't realize some SSP's were GLX's. Hmmm
    79 Capri RS 5.0/AOD | 82 CHP SSP #0513 5.0/SROD | 82 Capri Tu-Tone 4.2/C5 | 83 NCSHP SSP 5.0/SROD
    84 FHP SSP 5.0/T5 | 84 LTD Wagon 3.8/AOD | 85 LTD LX 5.0/AOD | 88 GT 5.0 Turbo/T5

While I can't offer you a bibliography, I have been gathering data over many years. The numbers I show have been found at several sources before I use them. If the numbers are incorrect, they have come from multiple sources that are also incorrect. If thaey are, in fact, wrong, I'll be glad to adjust them.

Just wanted to help.

Let me point out something that may put this into perspective:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=capri+roof

Someone was told by their dealer when they ordered their car that only 96 5.0 Mercury Capris in 1986 came with a solid roof.

By the end of that thread, it was VERY obvious, this "fact" was WRONG. Now what WAS interesting is that there was a gap in the numbers for the "solid roof" cars...so there may be some validity to the story but the story is definitely not correct.

We hear number this and number that. Some are interesting and some are plain wrong. Most are unverifiable.

So in other words, without a "bibliography" your numbers are really just going to be something of a curiosity to. For me, I'll remember to keep them around if an when I hear talk of 1983 GLXs.

FWIW, try and track down and organize your sources. If you did it once, you can fill the pieces back in again. IMHO, If you've taken ANY information from Sessler and company, your numbers are already suspect. I know many people quote those numbers as his stuff is widely published and some may be close and in the ballpark but mostly they turn up wrong.

Marti from Marti's Autoworks has all the Ford data from 79-93 and hopefully we will put most of this to rest shortly. He has the 79 data out for people to buy their build sheets and so forth. His data comes directly from Ford. He has ALL the data...right down to the door tag that is on your car. I am sure that will be the definitve source when all is said and done.

I think Stew Jones was pretty reliable...although his acquisition of the data was questionable. We have some data from when people were getting info from him. You may very well have pieced some of your data through that channel.

We are not trying to slam you and your data...but we cannot let it go completely unchallenged. People just latch onto numbers and its just crazy.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    We are not trying to slam you and your data...but we cannot let it go completely unchallenged. People just latch onto numbers and its just crazy.

-Mike
    Well said, no slamming from me either. I'm just trying to get hard facts.
    79 Capri RS 5.0/AOD | 82 CHP SSP #0513 5.0/SROD | 82 Capri Tu-Tone 4.2/C5 | 83 NCSHP SSP 5.0/SROD
    84 FHP SSP 5.0/T5 | 84 LTD Wagon 3.8/AOD | 85 LTD LX 5.0/AOD | 88 GT 5.0 Turbo/T5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast