Close

Thread: AMP PULL???

cb83gt

Default AMP PULL???

Theres a pull knob on the bottom of the dash to the right on the steering column, looks factory and says amp pull on it. Wth is that?

The "Premium Sound" system has an amplifier that is located in the center of the dash, beaneath the dash pad. Pulling that knob out turns the amp on. Pushing that knob in turns the amp off.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

cb83gt

ahh, i see. Thanks for the response. I was thinking of amp in an electrical type of way. i never woulda thought of a stereo amp. Thanks

Can this be used to power a,larger aftermarket amp? Does anyone know exactly how much juice this provides? Thanks

Sure if you use it to power a relay

Can this be used to power a,larger aftermarket amp? Does anyone know exactly how much juice this provides? Thanks
    I would think of it more as the remote power to turn it on. You'll need a designated power wire from the battery for a large amp.
    83 Mustang GT , A5 5 speed, 31 spline Cobra rear, LMR TRX, 302 11r 190 heads, Buddy Rawls custom cam

86 Capri , 342 stroker , AFR 185 heads, Track Heat intake, 3.73 gears

It's basically a power booster for the rear speakers only. Not sure exactly how it works, but I'm "assuming" it works just like an old 80's style graphic EQ/power booster that is wired inline from the stereo. So AMP PULL turned off you are getting the low wattage from the stereo, and AMP PULL on you are getting the additional power from the amp. I'd love to know the specs of the radios power output and that of the amp when added. I'm guessing it is rather low...as in probably in the teens
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedfoxdriver View Post
    I would think of it more as the remote power to turn it on. You'll need a designated power wire from the battery for a large amp.

This is how I use it in my Crown Victoria.

On the Crown Vics they actually say "Amplifier Pull" instead of just "Amp Pull"

Anyone know how to remove the knob so that it can be reused? I don't want to break it.
    -1983 Mustang GL Coupe 9D Polar White (Sold)
    -1992 Mustang LX 5.0 PM Bright Calypso Green
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham (Wife's Toy)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

Quote Originally Posted by 83GLCoupe View Post
    Anyone know how to remove the knob so that it can be reused? I don't want to break it.
    If it's like the one in a 79, there's a allen head set screw that's a pain to reach in the side of the knob.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Thanks for the help. After trying every allen wrench I have, I carefully twisted the assembly to look at what size wrench I need I discovered it's simpler than that. Apparently in '83 the knob is held in place by a friction spring metal piece. Compressing the clip releases the 'bite' on the switch shaft.
    Maybe this will help someone else in the future.
    -1983 Mustang GL Coupe 9D Polar White (Sold)
    -1992 Mustang LX 5.0 PM Bright Calypso Green
    -2019 Jetta SEL (DD)
    -1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Brougham (Wife's Toy)
    -2012 Nissan Xterra

I use the one in my car to turn on the line lock.

Cale