Close

View Poll Results: One wing or two (or more)

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Two or more

4 12.12%
  • One wing

29 87.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Travis T

Just curious, but does Ford have any rights to the McLaren parts? If so, you may want to be careful, Ford has gone after a number of people reproducing their parts without permission.

Screw 'em! They don't want to make the investment to make us happy but yet they want to penalize anyone who tries to contribute to the following of thier cars! Screw 'em!

....Hey where'd ya git that wing? .....I don't know! I think I was struck by the wing fairy!
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's
    5 Lug conversion, cobra discs on all four corners, 1" drop

My cowl hood thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=131334

I don't think so. asc may still have "rights" since they made it but that company barely even acknowledges the existance of the cars so I doubt you will run afoul of anything.

The only one that may have any kind of "claim" may be Hank at www.ascmclaren.com. He has been reproducing parts for years but I do not know if he needed to get permission from asc first or it was transferred to him when he bought out all of asc's remaing stock of parts or he just did it without asking.

I like the idea of a wing being available so that people stop tossing the bubble for the Mustang hatch...but kind of wonder what Hank will think...

-Mike

If anybody asks the wing was on the car when I bought it. Pretty nice wing isn't it. Hank who, if he isn't interested in selling them to anybody but asc owners oh well it's his loss. That would be only an issue if the wing is identicle, and since it will be fiberglass then it will just resemble it right.

Speaking of WINGS we need an update we don't want to kill the messenger just squeeze so update out.
    86 Capri 5.0
    86 F150 stepside
    85 crewcab stepside project
    66 VW Bug
    73 Dune Buggy

How does the wing attach to the hatch ?
    Do you remove bottom window molding to install
    wing ??...or do you attach too molding ?

At least I know there is still some interest. I have been away on personal business, that is why so long since last update.

There are 3 more pics in my album.

As for the "legal" questions, that has been discussed and I will cross that bridge if it comes up.

It will mount the same as the original one, you have to remove the lower moulding, and drill 4 holes. It will accept the clips that hold it to the moulding but as of this moment, will not come with them. You will have to use 3M double sided tape.

It is done but I still have some tweeking to do to it. It looks great but I need to get it prepped and primered so I can see how straight it really is (sorry guys but but it does not look 100% straight but it is real close). Then I am mounting it on an actual McLaren, then I am sending it out for a third party review so you will be sure of what you are getting.

Finally, I wanted to remind you that the wings will not be made overnight. I am confident 2 wings a week will be made but that will probibly be it in the begining. I will have more pics later this week.

Rob
    presenty w/o a foureye

Quote Originally Posted by fredzilla
    ya' know? That is a very good question and I would like to know the same

-Rocko
    ===============
    85 Capri GS 2.3L (Flooded by Katrina)
    Please sign my Guestbook!!>>>
    http://members.cardomain.com/rock007

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko
    Quote Originally Posted by fredzilla
    ya' know? That is a very good question and I would like to know the same

-Rocko
    You have to drill holes in the hatch for the mounting studs. You have to remove the lower moulding. If you get the clips, you will need to drill holes in the side trim pieces to mount them.

-Mike

Sounds good were waiting for more pics. 2 a week so your looking at about 14 weeks of production. Then you could start work on front spoiler clone of RS style . :P :P
    86 Capri 5.0
    86 F150 stepside
    66 VW Bug
    73 Dune Buggy

FoxFleet

Quote Originally Posted by negusm

You have to drill holes in the hatch for the mounting studs. You have to remove the lower moulding. If you get the clips, you will need to drill holes in the side trim pieces to mount them.

-Mike
    Mike, what exactly do you mean about drilling holes in the trim pieces? The clips that are on my McLaren just attach over top the end of the spoiler. I have not had the whole wing off of the car, but I had seen one with it off, and it didn't even look like the trim was trimmed, as it were. Got any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxFleet
    Mike, what exactly do you mean about drilling holes in the trim pieces? The clips that are on my McLaren just attach over top the end of the spoiler. I have not had the whole wing off of the car, but I had seen one with it off, and it didn't even look like the trim was trimmed, as it were. Got any pics?
    Nevermind....you are correct! I went back to some pics and I must have been thinking of something else!

Then it should be just 2 holes made into the hatch.

EDIT: er I have been reminded that it should be 4 holes....I think. I should really check the wing on my car again.

-Mike

86caprirs

You can copy the wing to a tee. ASC did not put any patten # on the wings so it is free game.I had to look into this with a laywer when i originally posted that i was going to reproduce the fiberglass version.So long as there are no patten pending stamped on it anywere(which this wing does not) you can reproduce it all you want too.
    Is ASC still producing performance/altered vehicals or do they just do sunroofs now????I had an Expedition in from Califoria and it had an aftermarket ASC sunroof in it.

86caprirs

Still no pics of the finished product yet????

Still no pics of the finished product yet????
    If you look in my album, you can see the "finished in gelcoat" spoiler. I am getting it prepped and primed so I know if there is any more tweeking needed. I hope to have pics this week of it mounted on a car. Yea should have been last week but me and the body shop prepping it got busy (end of month in the car biz).

Other wise it is done and I will be taking orders shortly.

Thanks
    Rob
    presenty w/o a foureye

ntastng

how much will you be looking to get for the finished products?

86caprirs

Not to start anything here but i noticed the the spoiler is having trouble matching to the hatch trim pieces...It looks to be out about a 1/4 inch each sides.Or is that just because it has not been mounted properly?????

Its not mounted correctly. I used that pic to show the clips will work on it but I did not properly mount it up with the clips on the moulding.

Rob
    presenty w/o a foureye

Default Spoiler

I'll take that spoiler!
    82 Tan Mustang Coupe with 5.0 5 speed(For Sale)
    85 Black Saleen Mustang 85-99
    85 ASC McLaren Coupe
    86 ASC McLaren EuroCoupe

Coming Soon: Red 84 1/2 GT Convertible

Rob I think I should get one of the first batch unless you need a car of your own to mount one of those spoilers on.
    08 Bullitt / 07 Buell XB12SS / Transit Connect

Well done on the spoiler. It looks great. I would like to get some feedback on an install and see some pics of the spoiler mounted with paint. If all looks good I'd love to get my hands on one.
    1986 Capri RS w/ FRPP Z347BOSS crate

2011 F-150 SCREW ecoBoost FX4

Time flys don't it. I will have more pics of it up tomorrow or saturday. It is alot straighter than I thought it would be. You will all see shortly.

Rob
    presenty w/o a foureye

How we makin out, Hows it lookin.
    86 Capri 5.0
    86 F150 stepside
    66 VW Bug
    73 Dune Buggy

Here are the pics of the primed wing.
    http://groups.msn.com/MYMERCURYCAPRI...msnw?Page=Last

I will be honest, you can see that the back edge of it is not completely straight. The front is almost perfect. I took the best(or worst) pics of the back of it to show how there are two small waves in it. I think with a little more prep than the wing had (long story) it would be less noticable.

I wish I had some pics of it mounted on a car but they will be forth coming (scedule conflicts). The wing will be sent out for an impartial review this week. Let me know what you think.

Rob
    presenty w/o a foureye

Southern_Pride

Well done. Im definitely gonna buy one when their all finished up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast