Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Conrad

Default Need Help with Vacuum lines

I have a 2.3 ltr carburated engine I am rebuilding. I have a spaghetti like amount of little vacuum lines coming off of my carurator all of which are disconected from where they are suppose to go. It would greatly help me if someone could take a few digital photos of an engine on a 81 2.3ltr carburated mustang with the aircleaner housing removed so that I can see where to follow and plug in the vacuum lines. The more photos and close ups the better. Any help would be greatly appreaciated, Thank you in advance.
    Conrad

Welcome to the site. I am one of a few 2.3l guys here. I will dig through what I have and see if I can dig up something for you. This is for a 1981 right?
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

SEE MY ALBUM ON HERE FOR A PICTURE OF THE VACUUM HOSE ROUTING DIAGRAM FOR A 1981 2.3L MOTOR. I WILL LEAVE IT IN MY ALBUM UNTIL YOU POST SAYING YOU GOT IT. If you need any other help, let me know. I have many ford manuals and I can supply you with information if you need any.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Conrad

Yep, I have an 81 2.3ltr carburated Mustang Notchback/coupe. Ok thank you. I have saved that diagram. You are a life saver. I think I will need more info I will let you know, thanks again Ethan

Conrad

Ethan is you 86 Capri carburated?

Cool. I hope that's a clear enough picture. Too bad it's in black and white but it's all that I have. I have a full set of 1980 Factory manuals and a 1986 set. The 1980 set should be accurate for your car because really the 2.3 liter motor did not change much over the course of its lifetime. I drive an 86 capri with a 2.3l in it and I must say, though it may not have much power, it is reliable, easy to fix, durable, and great with gas mileage. I wouldn't trade that motor for anything. If you have the motor apart, one thing to consider is a roller type camshaft out of a 1990-1993 mustang or ranger. It will give you a better powerband and smoother operation. I put one in the capri and I am more than satisfied with the results. If you need anything, just post it up. I am on here a lot and always look for 2.3L posts.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Conrad

The engine is on my engine stand right now and I have it all together except for the vacuum lines and the exterior pulleys and accesories. I took the engine to a shop where they did all the work to it - block,crank,head,pistons, then my brother and myself put it all back together with new seals,gaskets,rings and so on. It is all stock though. I need to get these vacuum lines reattached so that I can finish the rest of the assembly and get the engine back into my 81. I also have a 90vertGT.

Conrad

Ethan If you or anyone can stir up some photo's for me of the vacuum lines off of the carburator to where they need to hook up I would really appreaciate i. I tried to follow the diagram and I am just not matching anything up. If I could actually see the lines that I think is what it will take for me to match up lines and get them connected. I will take a digital photo of the engine where I am at right now so you can see what I am dealing with. I will add the photo to my album

Conrad

well the digital photos are not going to happen, my cheapo cam just took a dump and its off to costco for a new one when I can afford it

I looked over my 1980 manuals and the 1980 2.3l is slightly different than the 1981. On the diagram that I sent, if you are using the stock carburetor, there is words saying "Front of engine." use those to orient yourself. The circle that says "carb" is your carburetor. Where each of the little black lines intersects the carb, if you oriented yourself right, there should be a spot on the carb for the line. It appears that coming from the front (side of carb facing radiator) there is a vapor line, and 2 ports (labeled "F" and "S" on the diagram). Then on the side of the carburetor facing the driver's fender is the EGR valve and port T which looks to be near where your throttle cable would attach. Port "E" faces the firewall, and lastly, it looks like port "V" would face the motor. The easiest thing to do maybe would be build place each emissions part where it should be and then start following the diagram to connect them all.

Some of the abbreviations on the diagram:

A/CL DV- air cleaner diverter valve
    A/CL CWM- air cleaner cold weather modulator
    A/CL BIMET- air cleaner bimetal sensor
    MAN VAC- manifold vacuum source
    VCV- vacuum check valve
    VDV- vacuum delay valve
    PURGE CV- purge canister valve
    SOL V- vacuum solenoid
    VOTM- vacuum operated throttle modulator, AC cars only

The diagram that I put up shows exact locations of components in your engine bay and what side of the component the vacuum lines enter or exit.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

For some reason, I am not getting emails notifing me of responses to stuff on here so if I am slow to post, thats why. Crazy technology...........
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

Conrad

hey Ethan thank you for explaining the abbreviatons! That is going to help alot Yea I was confused on what they were trying to abbreviate. Keep your fingers crossed and lets hope that I get em right

I think if you build your routings one at a time and really go about it systematically, it will be easier to piece together. It may even help to get out a stool or ladder and look down over your engine with that diagram in hand to kind of somewhat orient yourself to the diagram. That's what I do when I have to find components off Ford diagrams.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

HEY!!! umm I was wondering if I might be able to get a copy of those pictures.. I'm in the middle of rebuilding the top half of my '81 mustang 2.3L engine and foolishly did not take pictures of the wiring and such before taking it apart.

Thank you! =^_^=

I have diagrams for an 81 zephyr 2.3, would that work?
    1983 Mercury Zephyr Z7 AM Radio, no a/c, 200 3.3l I6, C5 Automatic, Police scanner, 40 Channel Cobra 29LTD CB radio, PA system mounted under bumper

2008 Ford F150 XL 2wd v6, 5 speed.

If you could that would be awesome! Thank you!

Hey everyone i'm new to the forum and ive never used one before. I have a 86 mustang gt i bought from someone about a year ago. Long story short it has these surges at idle and almost or does stall when its cold. Now i was told and believe it is a vacuum leak so does anyone have a detailed diagram on one? Not sure if this matter either but it has a cobra intake, ac delete, been converted to mass air with a 73 maf and 24 lb injectors to match, trick flow aluminum heads, a small lift luntai cam (not sure the specs), and long tube headers. So if anyone could help me with this little nightmare that would be amazing and wondeful and greatly apprecaited

Quote Originally Posted by jessew View Post
    I have diagrams for an 81 zephyr 2.3, would that work?
    PM sent.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

Quote Originally Posted by mdeamore86gt View Post
    Hey everyone i'm new to the forum and ive never used one before. I have a 86 mustang gt i bought from someone about a year ago. Long story short it has these surges at idle and almost or does stall when its cold. Now i was told and believe it is a vacuum leak so does anyone have a detailed diagram on one? Not sure if this matter either but it has a cobra intake, ac delete, been converted to mass air with a 73 maf and 24 lb injectors to match, trick flow aluminum heads, a small lift luntai cam (not sure the specs), and long tube headers. So if anyone could help me with this little nightmare that would be amazing and wondeful and greatly apprecaited
    Yes....check all vacuum lines for cracks or damage.....if they are all good more than likely it's the IAC......
    http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...l-Motor-Iac-Mo

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Sorry everybody, I thought my manuals had vac diagrams, but it's only electric. Anyways, I made an account at autozone, you can pull up vac diagrams there for 79-88 mustangs with a 2.3, high altitude, and turbo. Sorry about that though

Last edited by jessew; 03-20-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    1983 Mercury Zephyr Z7 AM Radio, no a/c, 200 3.3l I6, C5 Automatic, Police scanner, 40 Channel Cobra 29LTD CB radio, PA system mounted under bumper

I also dont have the charcoal cannister and i know there is a vacuum line that was ran from the cannister to my intake where should I reroute or move that vacuum line? I notices if i cap the line the car bogs down and when i remove it the idle surges up 300 rpms, any ideas?

The vacuum diagrams for all years/engines of F/Z cars can be found on my website here. http://myzephyrs.com/vacuum_diagrams.htm

How to find your vacuum diagram is here. http://myzephyrs.com/calibration_number.htm

And which vacuum part is which is here. http://myzephyrs.com/vac_part_name.htm
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Quote Originally Posted by mdeamore86gt View Post
    I also dont have the charcoal cannister and i know there is a vacuum line that was ran from the cannister to my intake where should I reroute or move that vacuum line? I notices if i cap the line the car bogs down and when i remove it the idle surges up 300 rpms, any ideas?
    If you cap it, then there's nowhere for the excess fumes to go to, which causes it to bog down.

So inturn should i just get a little filter for it to just suck in outside air?

And thank you RED 78' ill have to take a look at these, greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast