Close

Default LEAK IS DRIVING ME NUTS

ok i had mac shortys on here went to long tubes and i here the excact same poping leaking sound from the passenger side its like a tic tic tic dring me nutts should i run a couple gaskets on these and what are the thickest gaskets to use i think the problem is these gaskets im using are not working right i get the felpro from autozone any sugestions?

also forget to mention that the l/t are mac also

Default Re: LEAK IS DRIVING ME NUTS

Quote Originally Posted by 85saleencoupe
    mac
    thats why.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

yea yea yea i heard all the crap on mac the fact is there are thousands of people running with out leaks with them and for me to have a leak in the same spot with 2 diff styles leads me to think its not the headers

FEP Member

I have Mac longtubes and use Fel-pro 1415 exhaust gaskets. Haven't had to retighten and no leaks.

I Know its a bitch getting them things to stop leaking. 1- call mac tech line and ask for suggestions. 2- use 2 gaskets. 3- check to see where the headers might be touching the block,trans, starter,etc. Good lluck

Quote Originally Posted by F8LBITE79
    2- use 2 gaskets.
    my suggesstion.

also, maybe try surfacing the flange of the header, if you have the right equipment

Quote Originally Posted by F8LBITE79
    2- use 2 gaskets.
    That's what I did
    It worked
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

Sounds like you verified it by sound, and not by feel.

Start the car and get right to the spot with your hand. If you cannot feel anything near the flange, the start looking at the (thermactor I think its called) tube that runs to the back of the heads. I have seen them rot out and cause slight , hard to find leaks.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

be sure you've tightened the header bolts correctly, I believe there may even be a sequence to it
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by v8only
    be sure you've tightened the header bolts correctly, I believe there may even be a sequence to it
    no there is not a sequence to it .i had a old set of bbk and never had problems i will run 2 head gaskets i think that will fix the problem maby run a little silicone

I developed a tick tick ticking after making a high rpm pass one day. I was thinking maybe I bent a push rod, or collapsed a lifter, or maybe blew out a manifold gasket. After carefully checking all that stuff and finding nothing out of the ordinary I put a post on this site looking for suggestions. I think it was Jeremy that suggested checking the spark plug wires. Sure enough, one of my wires wasn't locked on to the plug and was arcing (arking, arching? whatever) causing the ticking. take a look, you might get lucky.

Bananas!
    1986 GT Vert
    GT-40 Powered
    Cobra intake
    70 MM throttle body
    24 # injectors
    155lph fuel pump
    MAC equal length headers
    MAC cold air kit
    Eibach progressive springs
    Hyperflex polyeurethane master kit
    Cobra R wheels
    245/45 Falken Azenas

Quote Originally Posted by Bananas
    I developed a tick tick ticking after making a high rpm pass one day. I was thinking maybe I bent a push rod, or collapsed a lifter, or maybe blew out a manifold gasket. After carefully checking all that stuff and finding nothing out of the ordinary I put a post on this site looking for suggestions. I think it was Jeremy that suggested checking the spark plug wires. Sure enough, one of my wires wasn't locked on to the plug and was arcing (arking, arching? whatever) causing the ticking. take a look, you might get lucky.

Bananas!
    no its an exhaust leak im going to run 2 gaskets and some rtv when it warms up that will fix my problem

I also have mac longtube headers. Here's what I would do. Remove the header and check the flange surface for any defects. Sand it down until the surface is perfectly smooth. I also used arp 3/8" stainless steel bolts, much easier to tighten than the stock 7/16" bolts.