Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 50 Proof
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    Several times in this thread I've seen Corey say "defrost". So are we talking about "frost" on the windshield that's not clearing up or "fog" that's not clearing up?
    sorry, i guess I mean defog. I can take my hand and wipe the inside of the window clear kind of(it gets fogged up again). The windows are not fogged up because of a bad heater core. Frost on the outside of the windows doesn't happen very often in california.
    Ok, glad I'm not nuts. My assessment of the situation still stands. Is your A/C working?
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott
    Several times in this thread I've seen Corey say "defrost". So are we talking about "frost" on the windshield that's not clearing up or "fog" that's not clearing up?
    sorry, i guess I mean defog. I can take my hand and wipe the inside of the window clear kind of(it gets fogged up again). The windows are not fogged up because of a bad heater core. Frost on the outside of the windows doesn't happen very often in california.
    Ok, glad I'm not nuts. My assessment of the situation still stands. Is your A/C working?
    no, a/c needs to be tested for leaks and recharged. It might not be worth it for me to fix the a/c system. I'm looking to pick up a newer transportation car so I'm hoping to be driving the 86 as little as possible (for daily driving purposes) in the near future.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt
    www.thompsontransmission.com - coming soon
    Fox Body Black Interior Interchangeability Guide

I don't get that film on the window when a heater core is bad,
    You sure you have proper coolant levels and not a high or only water mixture? Being a cali car , I could see how it would be easy to only run water.
    84 20th Anny 2.3Turbo #1978
    84 Turbo GT 11.70@120MPH 418RWHP
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles
    96 Mystic Cobra Terminator swap

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott
    no, a/c needs to be tested for leaks and recharged. It might not be worth it for me to fix the a/c system. I'm looking to pick up a newer transportation car so I'm hoping to be driving the 86 as little as possible (for daily driving purposes) in the near future.
    Well more than likely, there's your answer. Like I said, the A/C system is what actually removes the moisture from the window. The vent just directs it into the right place (windshield).
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

So what your saying is that if you do not have functioning A/C your defrost will not clear your window!?!?!!?

89 41X Coupe 2200 miles

what about AC Delete cars... do they just suck at defrosting or what?

A/C helps but doesnt stop it from working. As long as heated air is getting onto the windshield and follows what the controls are set to then I'd say the controls are working properly.

The only thing I can think of is that there is an excessive ammount of moisture present in your car or getting into the system by some other means.

Big Question. Do you have a decent 50/50% antifreeze/water mix in your cooling system?

Even in England where only about 10-15% of the cars come with A/C the defrosters still work fine. Heat is heat. It just needs to be dry heat.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Quote Originally Posted by GT350R
    So what your saying is that if you do not have functioning A/C your defrost will not clear your window!?!?!!?

well you don't need A/C to defog your window, however having A/C will help things defog rapidly. Without A/C you'll grow gray hair before your window clears up but it will clear up........eventually.

BTW when I put coolant in, i mixed it 50/50, no straight water. I should have proper coolant level although I do need to flush the system out, stick a hose in the block and flush that out too. When I first put the fluidyne in, I put in a t-stat too and put in 50/50 and it overheated in traffic but ran cool otherwise. So something is definately wrong with the cooling system. Probably clogged coolant passages in the block.
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    1986 Mustang GT T-Tops - Explorer engine swap, MAF Conversion, 5 lug Cobra Brakes
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

So something is definately wrong with the cooling system
    My bet is the fan clutch is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT
    So something is definately wrong with the cooling system
    My bet is the fan clutch is shot.
    I have an extra fan clutch I can try. The one on my 86 must work some because the car runs cool otherwise on short distances and when I don't sit in traffic. Maybe the fan clutch isn't locking up when it should?
    Corey
    1965 Mustang
    2001 True Blue Bullitt

Thats the way my Aerostar was. Cooled fine driving but with the A/C on in traffic it would start to overheat. When I put the new fan clutch in the temp never went past half way. Sounded like a tornado under the hood too. You could tell it was moving a lot more air.

Quote Originally Posted by GT350R

well you don't need A/C to defog your window, however having A/C will help things defog rapidly. Without A/C you'll grow gray hair before your window clears up but it will clear up........eventually.
    Non of my cars have A/C (some did, I pulled it). My hair is not grey. Unless you put them side by side, you would not even notice a difference.
    89 41X Coupe 2200 miles

I have an extra fan clutch I can try. The one on my 86 must work some because the car runs cool otherwise on short distances and when I don't sit in traffic. Maybe the fan clutch isn't locking up when it should?
    With this hot weather here in SoCal.. I've been thinking that my fan clutch isn't working the way it should too.... I have an Autometer Mechanical water temp gauge and for the last couple of hot days I've seen that needle go up to as high as 200 - 210 Deg while driving!

Hell, my 58 Edsel gets that high but it's basically a stock 50's car (w/a 180* stat and 3 row radiator)... and I can understand why it would get hot.

It's an 85 GT 4bbl 5 spd with an 86 shroud, coolent catch bottle, fan and clutch. I don't think theres a real difference between the 85 and 86's... should cool the same. And the guy I bought the car from says he tossed a 180* stat in it.

I was thinking off tossing in a new Modine 3 row, Milodon pump and high flow 180" stat, and a new fan clutch and see what that does. and if that didn't keep it cool I was going to toss in a Black Magic Electrick fan from MM for better cooling and a HP gain.

Sorry for hijacking your thread 50 proof...

Also, I've always thought that a good new fan clutch is supose to be a bit tight... you know... not very loose.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

FEP Senior Member

maybe u have trapped air in ur cooling system? have u drilled a burp hole in the t-stat....i dunno if u need one on a ford but my old chebby i did
    84 GT, 357W, Alum Radiator, 2.02/1.60 Windsor Sr.'s, 600 DP, RPM Air-Gap, CC 270H, 1.6 RR, Streetdampr, T-5, K-C Clutch, Short Throw Shifter, Triple Pickup Quadrant, Firewall Adjuster, BBK shorty's, 8.8, 3.73's, O/R H-Pipe, DynoMax Cat-back, Alum Driveshaft. AFR Monitor, and a couple Auto Meters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12