Close

Thread: car question

FEP Senior Member

Default car question

does an 85 mustang offer me any upgrade parts for my 82....primarily front suspension...i found a car for 200bux, and was wondering if it would be worth my time as far as parts to swap onto mine....also the same guy has an original owner (his dad) 79 mistang for sale for 700 bux as well, red with white interior...ima go check em out this weekend
    84 GT, 357W, Alum Radiator, 2.02/1.60 Windsor Sr.'s, 600 DP, RPM Air-Gap, CC 270H, 1.6 RR, Streetdampr, T-5, K-C Clutch, Short Throw Shifter, Triple Pickup Quadrant, Firewall Adjuster, BBK shorty's, 8.8, 3.73's, O/R H-Pipe, DynoMax Cat-back, Alum Driveshaft. AFR Monitor, and a couple Auto Meters

A bigger sway bar is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment. Yet, there were several revisions of other things mid-83 and mid-84 that may help.
    85 GT convertible

We are talking about a GT or an LX 5.0L, right?

Front sway bar is larger.
    Coil springs' rate is higher in front and rear.
    Front lower ("K") frame is lighter.
    Has Quadra Shock Rear Suspension instead of slapper bars.
    Rear lower control arms have one oval and one round bushing instead of two round bushings.
    Rear brake line is routed differently and brake hose is relocated to allow for dual exhaust.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Senior Member

well..i havent looked at it personally yet, so i dunno the model...but they guy said that it was a v6..if that means anything......and if the suspension parts do have anything for me...i can always hope the interior is in ok shape right?
    84 GT, 357W, Alum Radiator, 2.02/1.60 Windsor Sr.'s, 600 DP, RPM Air-Gap, CC 270H, 1.6 RR, Streetdampr, T-5, K-C Clutch, Short Throw Shifter, Triple Pickup Quadrant, Firewall Adjuster, BBK shorty's, 8.8, 3.73's, O/R H-Pipe, DynoMax Cat-back, Alum Driveshaft. AFR Monitor, and a couple Auto Meters

Travis T

I wouldn't waste my time if it's a V6 car, it won't be much different than what you have.

FEP Senior Member

well, a friend called on it too, and come to find out they are both notch backs...and the 85 is a 4 banger....what gears did they put in the 85 4 bangers? i was even thinking about it as a body parts/interior parts, and rear end.

Dugzy33

85 4 banger rear would be a 7.5.
    You dont want that.

one other thing not mentioned... If it was a gt of course...
    Is that the 84 and up models were the first with 14.7:1 steering racks.
    aka 15:1

My 83 just missed it!
    My 84 capri has it.
    And my 83 t-bird has it also.
    I recommend it!

Doubt the 85 4 banger has it, unless it was added.
    If it drives you can tell!

FEP Senior Member

ahh...for some reason i was thinking it had the 8.8 for some reason....ooh well

GT's didn't have the 8.8" 'till 1986.

For a STOCK GT, a 7.5" track lok is good, but an 8.8" track lok is better. Corse, I don't think your going with a stock Mustang.

If you want upgrades your better off searching for q 87-93 GT, if you want to keep it 4 lug.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

FEP Senior Member

yea as of right now i'm staying 4 lug...i got an 8.8 trac-loc with 3.73's in it now that i got from a friend, for the best price in the world...but the trac-loc needs replaced, but i'm not going to worry about that right yet, it still works, it's just not as tight as i'd like it to be....and this car will only be stock appearing till u look inside it lol....i'm shooting for autoX with this car...so it looks like i'm gonna go back to my friend and see if i can get the spindles and stuff off that wrecked 90 gt i got the rear end out of...thanks for the info