Quote Originally Posted by White86rs
When I ordered my 86 5.0 in oct of 1985 they didn't want to build the car. They kept asking me to take a t-roof or sun roof. I didn't want one. Seems they had a deal with ASC to install roofs in all capris. My owner of this dealership went to dearborn in Jan. 1986 and asked why are you not building this car? Ford cam back a couple days latter and said they would build the 96 that were ordered in one run and never build another one w/o a sun roof or t-tops. So this is how I know mine is one of 96.
Looking at the VINs, I really do think there may be some truth to the story...but its not the WHOLE story.

October of 1985 is going to put you at the beginning of the 86 production run. There may indeed have been a hold on solid roof cars early on for 86. LATER in the production run, (based on the high vin numbers), the hold was lifted and more were made.

Of the list of vin's we have, maybe the first one is one of those mythical 96...which would make sense as I would not expect to see but one or two.

-Mike