Close

Thread: Modular swap

Default Modular swap

Anyone seen an old F/Z cars with Modular V8s? Thought has come across a few times in the past.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Default Re: Modular swap

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    Anyone seen an old F/Z cars with Modular V8s? Thought has come across a few times in the past.
    i wanted to get one and then get the distributor adaptor kit and put a carb on it.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

Mine would be just a simple EFI conversion. Be all clean on the outside, pop the hood, BAM, 32 Valve V8.

Cause I've seen a Mustang II with a Cobra engine in it and that was awesome.

I'm not sure if a modular motor has been done but someon has it in the works. The same guy also has a Twin Turbo 460 fuel injected fairmont so I think anything is possible. Here are some good cars to check out:

Twin Turbo 460 & Modular Projects
    http://www.undrprsr.com/

Twin Turbo 302/347? 78' Zephyr
    http://www.geocities.com/qikfords/ndex

302ci, 351ci, 200ci
    http://www.forgottenfox.50megs.com/

-Matt
    2003 Focus SVT
    1968 Fairlane 500

Oh its possible. Just haven't seen it.

And the TT 460 was awesome.

4no mor

I have always thought about swapping a 4 cam into my 80 sedan. A local yard has a mark 8 with 60k on it that they would sell the motor harness and ecm for ~$900....I have been thinking about it real hard...

Here's a place to start.

http://modularfox.com/Forums/
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback

Hi all,
    I'm new to this site and have just registered. I frequent mny of the other F-Z sites. Many of you may know me from my username. I have a 1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-door that originally had the 3.3L (200ci) I-6 and 3-speed manual trans with floor shifter. It now has (since 1999) a 1989 Mustang 5.0L engine convereted to carb, T-5 5-speed trans, 8.8" rear with 3.27:1 gears, full dual exhaust, Mustang suspension, brakes and steering, and 10 hole wheels. Quite a sleeper..

On the subject of this thread I have been in correspondance with a fellow in CT who has put a 2003 32 valve Ford 'cammer' engine into a 1979 Ford Fairmont Futura. I believe its a Mustang Cobra engine. He said it fit right in although a tight fit. The last time I spoke he was finishing the details of the fuel, wiring, and exhaust systems. So it has been done!

Paul78Zephyr

Thats what I wanna hear...well see actual.

FEP Member

i was in the middle of doing an 03 cobra motor swap in my 86, i was about half way done. its pretty easy, but the wiring isnt fun at all.

oh and i changed my mind on that and sold everything. lol
    1994 cobra- sold!
    1986 GT- still have!

deleted
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

Default mod swap

The only thing i dont like form what ive seen ... p/s assisted brakes???? Im sure it works fine. But most if not all have gone to manual brake converison. I really would like to keep normal power brakes...

chris

Yeah, Hydroboost. Kind of required because of the size of the engine.

It'd be a tight squeeze if you used the vaccum booster, if at all.

The fellow in CT that had done this swap sent me some pics but I cannot post them. It definately looks VERY tight at the master cylinder and he din NOT use a brake booster that I can see (looks like absolutely no room for one).

Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

Default Re: Modular swap

[quote="mfpmax"]Anyone seen an old F/Z cars with Modular V8s? Thought has come across a few times in the past.[/quote
    ]
    I've done it - sort of. Paul at "paul78zephyr" mentioned my project in his posting. It wasn't quite a drop in and took a lot of work and planning to get the engine in place and sit there properly. The engine is a '98 Mustang Cobra 32 valve and motor mounts have been the biggest problem and the steering had to be moved to clear the engine. Wiring isn't too bad with only about 10 connections to make but the wiring diagram in the Mustang shop manual is wrong in a couple of places. The good news is the hood closes so I'll have a super-sleeper. I hope to get it running this summer, although I've been saying that for the last four years.

Hey guys, here’s the latest on my Futura Cobra project. Summer is here (finally) and I can work on it without fear of frostbite. Try to work while lying underneath a car in Connecticut in the winter.

With some difficulty, I dropped at 32 valve 4.6 liter Mod Motor from a ’98 Cobra into a ’79 Futura Coupe that originally had a Pinto 4-banger. Instead of going the aftermarket route, I used the stock K-member. The first time I put the engine in, it was resting on the rack and pinion steering, and the hood didn’t close. With the steering out of the way, the engine sat on the K-member but at least I could close the hood. The problem is that the lateral distance between the motor mounts is less on the 4.6 than it is on the older 5.0 engines. I welded 3/8” spacers to the motor mount brackets on each side of the K-member, and put ½” spacers between the motor mounts and the block. (I should have put ¼” on the K-member and 5/8” between the mounts and the block. The motor mount studs don’t extend all the way through the nuts when they are torqued down.) The 7/8” total spacers on each side, being on a 45-degree angle, raise the engine almost 1¼”, clearing the K-member by about a third of an inch. And the stock hood closes. There isn’t much clearance between the transmission tunnel and the T-45 transmission so a few mods may be in order there. Had I used an aftermarket K-member, the engine would have sat higher, requiring a hood scoop (and spoiling the “sleeper” effect), and I would have even less clearance around the transmission.

I’m using Mustang SVO spindles that, along with the rack and pinion steering having been moved forward and down, are giving me some interesting suspension and steering geometry problems. I know how I’m going to solve them but need to take a lot of careful measurements before I start cutting metal. The SVO uses ball joints from a Lincoln Mark VII, which don’t fit into standard Mustang/Fairmont lower arms, and the SVO lower arms aren’t available from Ford any more. I had a machine shop bore out the lower arms and weld in an adapter that I designed, so now everything fits together.

Wiring this beast together has been an adventure. I’m making a temporary harness to jury-rig the 4.6 wiring system to the car’s existing electrical system so it will run, but over the coming winter - doing most of the work in the basement where it’s warm – will install an ’88 Mustang dashboard with A/C and get rid of the existing Fairmont wiring under the dash and forward of the firewall. Actually, wiring isn’t that difficult once you understand what you’re doing. It’s just tedious and you’ve got to have the wiring diagram. When it’s done right it should look like a factory installation. There isn’t much room around the engine so I’m using a Hydro-Boost master cylinder and the battery will go in the trunk.

I took some great pictures but can’t figure out how to load them into the posting (I’m not a computer wonk and find computers to be, as Mr. Spock said, “most illogical”). Too bad - they show a Mod Motor will fit in an early Fox. I’ll keep you posted on my progress. Others have put more cubic inches into a Futura but NOBODY has ever put in more camshafts!

Damn that sounds sweet.

You have GOT to post pictures in your photo album. The pictures nedd to be a certain size for this site to upload them and your limited to eight. OR... you can goto Cardomain.com and post as many as you would like on your own little slice of Cardomain and they size the pictures for you.

I did that.

Glad to hear that your building a Futura. I have a special place for them. I use to own a 79 Futura. It was factory black on black, 302 V8, Bucket seats, factory sunroof, and column shift auto. I had swapped in a pair of 85 Mustang GT halo head rest seats (reapolstered in Black vinyl and cloth), Installed a Fairmont center console and converted it to an auto floorshift, tossed in a 8.8" track loc rear with 10" wagon drums, tinted the back three windows and sunroof limo tint and the door windows medium , tossed on Mustang Turbine rims (with the incerts blacked out), and free'd up the exhaust a bit. And I tossed a black "Black Sabbath: master of reality" sticker on the back window. And damn it looked killer.

Corse... then it got hit by an SUV and totalled. I really loved that car. I was planing on doing an 85 Mustang GT 4bbl 5 spd Theme... but with a 347 Stroker. Well I now own a 85 Mustang GT 4bbl 5 spd with similar mods (and it's black!) that I had either done to my Futura or WAS going to do to my Futura... so most of the work was done for me. And once I'm done with school... and have the space... it'll get a 347 stroker.

Follow my link in my sig to the cardomain site and log on and post pictures for all of us to see! PLEASE!

Jasen
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/