Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Scott,
    Im sorry I did not reply here before. I cant remember if you and I discussed dual exhaust stuff somewhere before. But if we did not here is what I did on the Zephyr:

My Zephyr has a stock 87-93 type 5.0L Mustang exhaust system consisting of the stock headers, stock 4 cat H-pipe, stock tubes from H-pipe to mufflers, stock mufflers, and stock stainless steel LX type tailpipes. Obviously I used a double hump crossmember - modified to fit the early F/Z mounting brackets. I used short lengths of 2-1/4 exhaust tubing to 'stretch' the exhaust system between the stock tubes and the mufflers due to the F/Zs 5" greater wheelbase. The mufflers mount using the stock Mustang forward mounts/rubber. The necessary holes are already in the unibody (near the forward rear upper control are mounting brackets) for the U-nuts that the brackets mount with. The only 'problem' (not really) that I had was there is no threaded holes in the rear frame rails that the late Mustang has for mounting the tailpipe hanger brackets. So I got everything bolted in (bolts hand tight) and supported each tailpipe by putting the rubber isolator and mount on the tailpipe and used C-clamps to clamp the stock brackets in place on the rear frame rails - repositioning them until I had the pipes in the right location and even/level. I had the fuel tank out at the time to replace it so I had room to work. I then marked the frame rail thru the holes in the mounting brackets. I then removed the clamps and using a right angle head on my drill and shortened bits I drilled pilot holes in the frame rails. I then used stainless steel self threading screws to permanently mount the tailpipe hanger brackets. Im using a stock (although new) 78 Zephyr fuel tank (carb type) and have NO clearance issues with it and either tailpipe. Its a bit close on the passenger side but no closer than on stock Mustangs.

It sounds like you already know most of how to do your exhaust but I just thought I'd add my info.

Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

Paul, the more info, the better! As I said before, my biggest challenge was the fuel pump relocation. But now I have that sorted out.

As you said, the actual exhaust is fairly easy. Just take Stang stuff and lengthen it. I already bought the mufflers, flow tubes, and tailpipes. I just need to decide which H or X pipe I want and take it to my friend's shop. I'll probably have the passenger side muffler hanger welded on to the rear "frame" like the quad shock brackets were.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LTDScott

You never mentioned anywhere here about the fuel pump being right in the spot where the pass. side muffler is supposed to be. If you read the whole thread, you'd see that this is the main problem I had.

But it's solved now. Bought a Walbro high flow pump and converted the in tank pump to high pressure, and I now have most of a Mustang exhaust system in my garage ready to be installed on the car when I have a few more bucks.
    You still had the low pressure-high pressure system feeding the EFI conversion ?

I just ASSumed it was already upgraded to a single pump. along with the other mods. Mine have been carb. conversions and I just yanked the stock stuff out and tossed it. I the use a mechanical fuel pump for a '69 351W Mustang, carb. timing cover and run a 5/16 hard line for the supply.

The last LTD LX I bought, had a single in tank pump feeding the CFI. This was a 'reconstructed' vehicle and it may have been swapped by a previous owner during the rebuild. This car is long gone...

Hey, you find me a passenger side tailight yet ??? :P
    1984 LTD LX, 1985 Mustang GT, 1985 LTD SSP and 1986 Mustang 5.0 coupe

Whomever is finding parts, find me a whole front end!.

I need to fix this:

http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...hp?pic_id=4232

Quote Originally Posted by '84 LTD LX
    I just ASSumed it was already upgraded to a single pump. along with the other mods.

Hey, you find me a passenger side tailight yet ??? :P
    Yup, it ran just fine on the dual pump setup. Converting to single pump was the biggest obstacle I had, and it took some creativity on my part to solve it. Nobody else seemed to know how to convert it over, short of using a Tbird tank, which isn't cheap.

No taillights. I haven't been to the junkyards in a while, and it's been ages since I've last seen an LTD LX in there.

Foxchassis, just use a normal LTD front end and paint the grille and headlight bezels the proper colors. There's nothing specific about the LX nose except the grey rub strips on the bumper. Everything else can be painted.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12