Close

Default Another fog light question ...

Hi,
    Tried to install a pair of Cibié Airport 35 (a direct replacement for Marchall 750) on my Pace Car, but i can't figure how to fix them so that they go in the right place, in the edges of the center hole of the air-dam.
    I've only found two holes (red circles on the pic) on the upper bar, but then, the fogs will be in the middle of the air-dam, not exactly where they are supposed to be.

Is there some kind of bracket missing on my air-dam ? There's no other holes big enougth on the upper bar, neither on the lower part.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

FEP Member

I'm having a hard time understanding your picture. Can you post another one?

Here's another one ...

(i know, my license plate is not straight, could'nt wait to drive my car. I'll do better next time)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

hmmh, nice to meet you sir. how many mustangs were exported to France? i, myself only heard about the early export mustangs, much less any four eyed mustangs over in France. How many fox-bodies mustangs were exported to France?

...I guess there's some good frenchmen out there

*hides under mustang*
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Looks like i'm the only frenchy on this forum
    To answer about exports, last Mustangs imported by Ford were '79. Some say there was about 400, with maybe 4 Pace Cars (not even a single trace of those, but i know someone who remembers at least one very well in a Ford dealer in '79, mine comes from Switzerland). Of those 400, i've only seen one, a pretty rusty Cobra, in a junk yard this summer.
    In our club, there might be some 4 or 5 FourEyed (and i know 3 others outside of the club) and 1 or 2 aéro-look. Never seen more than 2 in the same meeting. They are not known nor even identified as Mustangs (i'm working hard on this and a friend of mine is having the same hard job with the IIs).
    Ford stopped importing Mustangs due to high annual taxes on foreign cars with big engines, with the fact that those were sold about twice the price of any European car of the same category.

FEP Member

I don't have the answer for you but how about a bump to the top.

Did your car not heve fog lights before? No original holes?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Alden
    Did your car not heve fog lights before? No original holes?
    I suppose it had a set originaly, it's a Pace Car. When i bought it, they were missing as well as the switch (found one), and the fog harness is still there.

Here are a few close-up pics :

Existing holes (red arrows on the previous post)

The place were i suppose a bracket is missing (passenger side, same on driver side) (blue arrows on previous post)

I've seen this complete bracket for '87-93. Maybe i'll just need the two vertical ones :

Nobody with a Pace Car/Cobra air-dam to help me ?

Caprisvo

I thought the Pace car / Cobra air dam, and foglight brackets were the same ones used on the Capri RS's through '86.

Now I'm not sure.

Seeing your pictures made me go look at the fog light bracket in my shop that came off a '83 Capri RS.

The bracket I have looks like what you have (same strengthening dimpled line, same lower holes obstructed by the metal welded to the back of the bracket) with the exception of an additional portion of bracket represented by the shading in the picture below. The dark circle is where the fog light bolts on, on my bracket.

My bracket would place the fog lights on the outer edges of the center air dam hole.

Either:
    1. The pace cars used a different air dam/fog light bracket.
    2. Someone cut the extra part off the one you have.
    3. Your car came with no fog lights (export thing?)

I'm pretty sure that the other small holes you pictured are for the license plate bracket.

I'm not offering any definitive answers here am I?

Oh well, free bump!

Quote Originally Posted by Caprisvo
    Either:
    1. The pace cars used a different air dam/fog light bracket.
    2. Someone cut the extra part off the one you have.
    3. Your car came with no fog lights (export thing?)

I'm pretty sure that the other small holes you pictured are for the license plate bracket.

I'm not offering any definitive answers here am I?

Oh well, free bump!
    1 / Looks like they were different. Or maybe there were different evolutions of this air-dam as, from what i've read, it was built only for the Pace Cars, then finaly also used on Cobras from 1980.
    2 / Doesn't look like something has been cut out.
    3 / yes, it had the fogs, the harness is there and connectors are not rusty has they could be if the fogs were not installed or removed a long time ago. And has the fogs where not planned for '79, i guess the harness was not mandatory (i don't remember seeing it on the '79 4 banger, neither on the '80 I-6 i've owned before).

After some cleanup, i've found two small holes on the road side of the air dam, next to the visible screw, just were fogs are supposed to be. Looks like they could match with the two small holes on the upper rail, between the two big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by energizerracing
    I will look at mine later this week when I get home, but I think your missing the correct mount. Maybe the export models did not have fogs.
    It had, it has the harness and there are traces of a fog switch below the dash.
    I also know another export one now in France that still have it's fog switch but with modern fogs, but it's actual owner is far and he doesn't have a camera.

86gt40

I am 99% sure the foglight assemblies were the same from 79-82. I have one from an 82 GT, and you are indeed missing a bracket. The only part number I can find on it is a D9 (1979) number. Email me for a pic if you want. Now if I could only find a set of fogs and covers for my 86...

86gt40

Here is a pic:

Ouch, really different of what i was thinking about.
    Looks like the braket caprisvo described.

My friend who owns the other Pace Car borrowed quickly his office digital camera and sent me this one :

He has aftermarket fogs, and he didn't have tools to remove them, he says the bracket looks like factory (car had a new incorrect paint some times ago but bracket shows some of it's original satin black color on its back) and have a L shape. From some test fittings i've done previously, Marchals will come pretty close to the edge of the air-dam with this kind of bracket, which seems correct from the few Pace Cars pics i have and according to the two small holes i've found in this location. With the bracket you sent, i think they'll be recessed.

I'm a bit lost with this one ...

Just found this one on eBay, comming from a Pace Car :

This one will also put the fogs in recessed position.

Well, as my air-dam shows not a single trace of ever beeing removed and that removing this bar would require this to be done cleanly, i only see 3 possibilities :
    1/ my Pace Car never had fogs (but why the harness is there and there are traces of a previously installed switch ?)
    2/ there were at least two versions of the air-dam
    3/ exports had a different brand of fogs (yellow glass required and i don't remember ever seeing 750 with such), requiring a different bracket

I'll search for other european Pace Cars (there are a few) to see if they have different fogs set-ups.

Interesting...It's quite possible they were deleted from Ford if they were going to have to make changes to meet foreign laws.

Have you tracked down any export literature? I think I saw one ad for a 79 Mustang slated for the UK. It had some interesting differences.

-Mike

I've finally choosed not to build my own bracket.
    I've noticed a few pre-drilled holes which are on the lower part of the air-dam, barely at vertical of the 82GT assy one. A 10mm drill bit, and here they are. :

Driver side one is correctly placed, passenger side will require some adjustment.
    As espected, recessed fogs are useless I'll take the time to build a L-shaped bracket later to get them closer to the edge, but i'll have a photo session for a french mag this week, don't have time for this.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxStang
    As espected, recessed fogs are useless I'll take the time to build a L-shaped bracket later to get them closer to the edge,
    Why bother? Fog lights of that size are absolutely worthless on any car. They have always been purely for looks. You headlights do a far better job in any type of fog on low beam.

-Mike

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    Quote Originally Posted by TuxStang
    As espected, recessed fogs are useless I'll take the time to build a L-shaped bracket later to get them closer to the edge,
    Why bother? Fog lights of that size are absolutely worthless on any car. They have always been purely for looks. You headlights do a far better job in any type of fog on low beam.

-Mike
    I really disagree with that, I live in an area that gets a lot of fog on occasion, and lights that size have always been a help to me.
    I just put some fogs on the capri (the originals disapeared who knows when) and have so far only used them in the rain, haven't had fog yet. On the pretty dark roads here those lights are pretty damn good when the rain gets heavy, they seem to just have a broader beam and cover more area than the headlights do. My headlights are new and appear to be adjusted correctly, but I haven't actually measured them.
    85 Black Capri RS TTop 5.0

Shok, I would have to see it to believe it. I have had a Jeep, Probe GT and my Asc (before the lights got torn off) and have been in rain, snow and fog and have never gotten a lick of benefit from them over my low beam headlights.

-Mike

Why bother? Fog lights of that size are absolutely worthless on any car
    Clear glass fogs are useless, i agree, but i've lived in a quite foggy area a few years, foggy enougth i sometimes didn't see half a meter in front of my hood (hood of a small EU car, not Mustang), even low-beams were too bright (EU low-beam, not US ), had a white wall in front of me. Tried clear glass first, for the look, helped a bit, but missed a tree twice Put the Cibié Airport 35, a direct replacement for Marchall 750 by the way (same size, can interchange the glass), but yellow glass, lot better. Of course, those were ideally placed, the lowest and farthest possible, and not in the middle of the car, so no interferences with their beam.
    Those on the Mustang are too recessed and too "white" to be of any use except by night. They should be placed below the low-beams on the air-dam to be usefull.